Saw an Ecosport for the first time in the flesh

I was out Saturday night with the wife in her Escape-we stopped at the local convenience store to get gas and something to drink. I didn't notice it at first when we parked-was two spots away.

I didn't get a super close look at it (someone was in passenger seat)-Didn't look bad at all-only issue I have with that class of car is they tend to look like an overstuffed tick, being so tall on small wheels. I thought it was a rental at first, but then saw it was a bridge/parking sticker and not a rental bar code.

The wife thought it was cute and pretty much nailed it for what it is-she said oh its a fiesta version of the Escape?

• Like 1

I've seen a few at the dealer. They look ok for what they are.

Saw 3 new Expeditions this weekend - 2 XLTs and one Limited. I wish they had done the LED taillights across the board; the standard ones look kinda cheap.

The highlight of this weekend's sightings, though, was yesterday. Got to see a new GT driving around. All white. Man it looked fantastic, and sounded amazing. Unfortunately I was too mesmerized by it to snap a picture when I had a good view of it, and had to turn before I could catch back up to get a good view (it was bumper to bumper traffic....if I wasn't Uber driving and had to turn left to pick someone up, I'd have followed it, sorry guys!)

Saw 3 new Expeditions this weekend - 2 XLTs and one Limited. I wish they had done the LED taillights across the board; the standard ones look kinda cheap.

That costs more money, and what has been shown with product over the past 2 years if it can be decontented, made cheaper, made optional or eliminated completely it will be.

• Like 2

SES with 17s looks fine....the 16s arent small, but perhaps look that way as the gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well leads one to believe the Ecosport has 3 feet of wheel travel...but lower that and you lose a little ground clearance in the middle of the car....let alone the "off road" look you were striving for in the first place...and dont forget....the heavier the wheel tire combo...the harder that 1.0 has to work...

Edited by Deanh

The proportions look odd to me, but I feel that way about many of the baby CUVs out there. This feels strange to say, but I think Ford needs to shrink and kind of "cute-ify" the nose on the Ecosport. With the front end so similar to its bigger siblings, I think that could alienate some potential buyers. Too much commonality in a time of unfettered personal expression seems to be a poor idea.

lol...the Nissan competitor to the Transit Connect rides on 13's...and theres only ONE tyre manufacturer....collusion?????

Geez...my old Fiesta was riding on 13" wheels--and it had the "big" wheels. Of course, I was kind of wishing I had the 12" wheels every time I had to change a flat...which was way too often... :banghead:

And akirby, if you think 18" wheels look small on an F-150 (or F150), you ought to see the 17s my folks had on their '14 XLT. It's amazing how much visual difference 1" makes.

Remember when the 5-stars came out on the Mustang GT in 1987 and everyone could not believe they were putting 16 wheels on a car?

Good times....

I remember the '87 Mustang (I lusted after that car), but no hoo-hah about the wheels.

I do remember when 17" wheels were huge and when 20" wheels were exotic. Now my folks' '17 Flex is ridin' on dubs...