Jump to content





tbone

Off-Road Explorer FX4 Prototype Spied

Recommended Posts

Interesting. While it’d pain me to do so, the release of an Explorer FX4 would probably cause me to drop my Bronco reservation. Not out of desire to do so as I love the Bronco but simply more room for the kids with at least some increased adventure ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it’s just a MCE? Guess we will find out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Maybe it’s just a MCE? Guess we will find out. 

 

The tires are the biggest oddity/difference here.  But you're right - seems odd to cover up so much if it's just a new grille insert and tires/wheels package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

 

The tires are the biggest oddity/difference here.  But you're right - seems odd to cover up so much if it's just a new grille insert and tires/wheels package.

 

Maybe improved cooling for a 5.0L V8?  😈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder why it took Ford this long to add FX4 package to Explorer. Something like that is shooting fish in the barrel... easy money.

 

I'm also still wondering why Ford hasn't added more trim level/themes to Explorer. I think a Explorer King Ranch that slots in between $48k Limited and $58k Platinum will probably find a lot of willing buyers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bzcat said:

I'm also still wondering why Ford hasn't added more trim level/themes to Explorer. I think a Explorer King Ranch that slots in between $48k Limited and $58k Platinum will probably find a lot of willing buyers. 

 

I thought they where trying to simplify the line up, not add more build complexity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

 

I thought they where trying to simplify the line up, not add more build complexity 

That only happens when they're trying to get rid of a vehicle,.......

All the high value vehicles that Ford wants to keep have order guides like an encyclopedia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems like a big miss, given the incredible popularity of off-road focused vehicles and trim levels these days. But if these spy photos are any indication of what’s to come, Ford might just be working on an off-road Explorer after all, perhaps even an FX4 trim level for the SUV. Gues we will see something that blows our mind. Cause Ford always want their customer get even more  they are expecting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

 

I thought they where trying to simplify the line up, not add more build complexity 

 

Yes that makes a lot of sense-BUT......look at all the crazy configurations for the Bronco. It will be a miracle if they don't screw this up. It seems like companies are starting to add in more choices these days though-you can look across the industry and models are being added to give the customer more choices-mid night editions, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my ST but there is nothing about the Explorer's looks that make it look like an offroader.  Just changing up the tires isn't going to do anything for it and I don't think it looks good with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

I love my ST but there is nothing about the Explorer's looks that make it look like an offroader.  Just changing up the tires isn't going to do anything for it and I don't think it looks good with them.


I agree with you, I’m not to sure how it will translate to an off-roader, but I certainly understand why they are trying.  I find the current gen Explorer to be more sleek and sporty, verses upright and boxy, like your typical off-roader.  Time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tbone said:


I agree with you, I’m not to sure how it will translate to an off-roader, but I certainly understand why they are trying.  I find the current gen Explorer to be more sleek and sporty, verses upright and boxy, like your typical off-roader.  Time will tell. 


I’m trying to visualize what such a package would look like and with the long sleek looks of the Explorer it comes to me as almost Subaru like in execution if they do pursue a model that is more offroad capable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great! combined with a 5.0 engine would be awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zgxtreme said:


I’m trying to visualize what such a package would look like and with the long sleek looks of the Explorer it comes to me as almost Subaru like in execution if they do pursue a model that is more offroad capable. 

 

How about a G.O.A.T. rotary dial, about an extra inch of ground clearance, and some off road appearance touches. Kind of an off roader for a weekender, not hard core enthusiast.That is what the Bronco is for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Explorer FX4 is not really about better off road chops - although it needs them to have street cred. Otherwise it is just a XLT Sport.

 

The whole point is the FX4 decal and that slight suspension lift so everyone can see you are a rugged individual who is not merely content with driving a regular AWD SUV. I bet you a FX4 package on Explorer will get 10~15% take rate immediately - especially on the Limited and Platinum level. The trick is to figure out that raised suspension won't have too much impact on MPG thus Ford's CAFE.

 

Edited by bzcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great idea!

Couple goes to Ford Store

One wants a Bronco, other wants to be at Toyota looking at 4Runner - 'cause that is what all the neighbors drive.

Both see Explorer FX-4 - and like it 'cause you would have to be crazy to think the 4Runner is better looking. 

Cool 'off road' more aggressive appearance satisfies both.

Couple drive off Ford lot in FX-4 instead of to Toyota to be convinced to buy the 4Runner.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

 

How about a G.O.A.T. rotary dial, about an extra inch of ground clearance, and some off road appearance touches. Kind of an off roader for a weekender, not hard core enthusiast.That is what the Bronco is for. 


That would probably be the ideal vehicle for our family for at least the next few years if it existed. The Bronco for us is overkill but ultimately be perfect once we weather those few years of infant and toddler seats. Either way the Escape is going bye bye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is quite a big shift by Ford after years of claiming that virtually no one takes Explorer off road.

Now that they see big bucks in the rugged look, they'll put "hiking boots" on it like that's a clever thing.

It is clever  in terms of the people who are attracted by the look and that adds capabilities for weekends

where light off-roading is your thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes, this is the 2021 Explorer Timberline Fx4. It will have the slight suspension lift, a unique from grille and bumper cover, plus unique rear bumper cover. The interior will also get unique items to set it apart. Hiking boots = more $$$$. It actually looks the best of all current trims.

 

There will also be a 2021 Explorer King Ranch according to the grapevine. The new Explorer is doing really well from a sales standpoint so they want to cash in on the more expensive models as much as possible. Time for the fine tuning to begin.

Edited by ExplorerDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

Yes, this is the 2021 Explorer Timberline Fx4. It will have the slight suspension lift, a unique from grille and bumper cover, plus unique rear bumper cover. The interior will also get unique items to set it apart. Hiking boots = more $$$$. It actually looks the best of all current trims.

 

There will also be a 2021 Explorer King Ranch according to the grapevine. The new Explorer is doing really well from a sales standpoint so they want to cash in on the more expensive models as much as possible. Time for the fine tuning to begin.

 

Per the 2021 Explorer Models & Packages Job Aid, there are no new models or trims for 2021MY other than bringing back the XLT Sport Appearance Package. No Timberline FX4 and no King Ranch at least at Job #1 and there's no mention of either being offered as late availability in anything official from Ford. We'll know for sure when the 2021 Explorer Order Guide is released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

 

Per the 2021 Explorer Models & Packages Job Aid, there are no new models or trims for 2021MY other than bringing back the XLT Sport Appearance Package. No Timberline FX4 and no King Ranch at least at Job #1 and there's no mention of either being offered as late availability in anything official from Ford. We'll know for sure when the 2021 Explorer Order Guide is released.

Sounds like the two versions are more likely to be MY22 additions...

Could the MY21s be a light redo of interiors to get through to spring '21?

Edited by jpd80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Sounds like the two versions are more likely to be MY22 additions...

Could the MY21s be a light redo of interiors to get through to spring '21?

 

Ford started building units with an interior update on the 2020 Explorer XLT's in particular a few months ago that replaced the black finish on the center stack, etc.


Enhanced Interior Finishes
○ Base – New Satin Silver Twilight Color on Center Stack
○ XLT – New Satin Silver Twilight Color on Center Stack, Door Armrest Carrier, Steering Wheel Bezel and Instrument Panel Applique
○ Limited – New Satin Silver Twilight Color on Door Armrest Carrier and Steering Wheel Bezel
○ All Series – High Gloss Black Color on Center Stack Buttons
○ XLT and Limited “Uppers” with Ebony Interior - Light Slate Colored Headliner, Overhead Console, Pillars, Grab Handles, Visors and Moonroof Shade

 

Here are some sample photos of the new center stack, etc. 

1FMSK8DH5LGC55803_08.JPG

1FMSK8DH5LGC55803_09.JPG

1FMSK8DH5LGC55803_17.JPG

1FMSK8DH5LGC55803_18.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

There will also be a 2021 Explorer King Ranch according to the grapevine. The new Explorer is doing really well from a sales standpoint so they want to cash in on the more expensive models as much as possible. Time for the fine tuning to begin.


Sounds like history repeating itself-I remember when Ford was scrambling to make the late 1990s Explorer more expensive and coming out with a limited model over the very popular Eddie Bauer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×