Ford earnings rebound big in Q3 2020

8 hours ago, FR739 said:

I think Ford has taken a page out of Tesla’s book.  No matter how broken the vehicle is just ship it and let the dealers/service centers take care of it.  I’m not so sure that’s the best route to take.  

I think it’s more a case of they’re doing everything they can to improve quality at the factory without compromising production rates.  It’s a difficult business decision losing sales and revenue while sales are relatively strong.  And some problems just aren’t that easy to fix, especially people problems.

I’m not excusing it, Problems like that shouldn’t happen in the first place.  But once they do happen getting it fixed can be complicated.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

What are the most common QC issues that you are still seeing?

Water leaks. Hose Clamps not installed. Broken/misinstalled panels. Connector assembly issues. There is nothing that is "commonplace" other than cameras, trans coolers and "A" clutch problems. 

Seriously. Avoid. 

1 hour ago, YT90SC said:

Water leaks. Hose Clamps not installed. Broken/misinstalled panels. Connector assembly issues. There is nothing that is "commonplace" other than cameras, trans coolers and "A" clutch problems. 

Seriously. Avoid. 

Since 2021 Explorers are starting to show up at dealers, I hope there have been corrections and tweaks at CAP to at least ship a much better product. The previous generation Explorer was never known as above average quality, but it was decent enough to be a top seller. So this one in 2nd year should show significant increase in quality. If not, then CAP is hopeless.

30 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

"A" clutch problems sounds like something that would require a major tear down to fix...

Trans has to come out, and the front support replaced. It pays between 7.4 and 9.7 hours depending on engine and 2 or 4wd which, typical of Ford and their cuts, is too low. 

Edited by YT90SC

5 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

How many years have we heard quality is top priority? Time to cue up the quality talks again. It's cheaper to talk quality instead of doing something about it.

The current school of thought is it is cheaper to foist slashed labor times on technicians in the field than at the plants.  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, YT90SC said:

Seriously. Avoid. 

Glad I did and that has got to suck being at the dealer level and having to sell something you know has so many issues. 

I’m not sure I would buy any vehicle made out of Chicago. 

2 hours ago, coupe3w said:

How many years have we heard quality is top priority? Time to cue up the quality talks again. It's cheaper to talk quality instead of doing something about it.

I honestly don’t recall Ford saying anything about quality being a priority in several years.  It’s one of the things I’ve criticized them about.  Do you have any recent quotes?

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

I honestly don’t recall Ford saying anything about quality being a priority in several years.  It’s one of the things I’ve criticized them about.  Do you have any recent quotes?

Does this work?

“Our warranty coverages in the last few years is up $1 billion to $2 billion depending on the year, and that is not okay,” Farley said during a recent analyst call. “So, although it moderated in the (third) quarter and we have taken a lot of actions on craftsmanship, long-term durability, we have a much bigger ambition to improve the quality of our vehicles. We have taken a lot of countermeasures. They will take time.”

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/ford-needs-to-focus-on-curbing-warranty-costs-ceo-jim-farley-says/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Does this work?

“Our warranty coverages in the last few years is up $1 billion to $2 billion depending on the year, and that is not okay,” Farley said during a recent analyst call. “So, although it moderated in the (third) quarter and we have taken a lot of actions on craftsmanship, long-term durability, we have a much bigger ambition to improve the quality of our vehicles. We have taken a lot of countermeasures. They will take time.”

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/ford-needs-to-focus-on-curbing-warranty-costs-ceo-jim-farley-says/

Ok, so they’re finally saying it now, but again I don’t recall that being said under Fields or Hackett.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ok, so they’re finally saying it now, but again I don’t recall that being said under Fields or Hackett.

Agree.  Hoping that Farley follows up on this quality initiative as it appears warranty costs are a real issue for Ford.  It’s refreshing to hear that Farley has plans to address it in the near future.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, akirby said:

Costs doubled in the last couple of years under Jim Hackett as a direct result of cost cutting

and cutting corners trying to speed up delivery of products. That's the bit not being said.

Mulally was no sooner out the door when Fields began scoping what was needed for Bronco

and ended up green lighting both in 2016 before he got the shaft.

Edited by jpd80

On 10/29/2020 at 8:59 PM, rperez817 said:

Consumer Reports annual automotive reliability survey 2009 - 2019, "Transmission Major" and "Transmission Minor" categories.

I take CR as serious as JD Powers Initial Quality awards.  I thought you had a real source.  My mistake.

Edited by blwnsmoke

On 10/31/2020 at 4:52 AM, jpd80 said:

Costs doubled in the last couple of years under Jim Hackett as a direct result of cost cutting

and cutting corners trying to speed up delivery of products. That's the bit not being said.

That’s exactly my point.  I think it was a conscious effort to put more resources into the new products and to get them out sooner, so quality suffered.  That’s why they never said quality is job 1 - because it wasn’t.

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

That’s exactly my point.  I think it was a conscious effort to put more resources into the new products and to get them out sooner, so quality suffered.  That’s why they never said quality is job 1 - because it wasn’t.

Or relying on virtual pilot builds at CAP, that sounds like where the main repair  charges came in Q3 and Q4 last year.

Sounds like Ford turned a corner last quarter and now that the '21s are rolling out to dealers, maybe Ford is putting

its production problems behind them. Bronco Sport and the other launches should go smooth.

39 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Or relying on virtual pilot builds at CAP, that sounds like where the main repair  charges came in Q3 and Q4 last year.

Sounds like Ford turned a corner last quarter and now that the '21s are rolling out to dealers, maybe Ford is putting

its production problems behind them. Bronco Sport and the other launches should go smooth.

There is a comprehensive review of a '21 Explorer Platinum model on You Tube by Lasco Ford. Fit and finish look pretty good with full leather, stitched interior sections with very plush seats. Looks good. No Sync 4 though.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

There is a comprehensive review of a '21 Explorer Platinum model on You Tube by Lasco Ford. Fit and finish look pretty good with full leather, stitched interior sections with very plush seats. Looks good. No Sync 4 though.

You can imagine that Ford just wants MY21 to be a corrected and improved MY20 and release Sync4 later.

15 hours ago, akirby said:

And that's my point. Quality is just talk. Not just at Ford but at almost every manufacturing plant. How many quality meetings have you been to in your life? ISO ring a bell?

Remember the transmissions in the Focus? They never really did fix that problem and it hurt sales.