Jump to content

None






Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

 

I have fixed a few lifter failures/camshafts in LS engines.  Nowhere near the valvetrain issues that 3 valve Mods had.  Starting to see cam follower and valve retainer failures on older 6.2's now.

 

One of the things I don't like about the 7.3L is that all the cam phaser components are behind the timing cover.  You can get to all the LS cam phaser parts by just removing the water pump. 

 

I have repaired dozens of failed LS lifters in low mileage examples.  Non-AFM, LS7 (and non-LS7) lifter roller failures are very common, but I deal mostly with performance cars and usage profiles may be different from the norms.  LS lifters do not like RPM at all, by that I mean over 6000 rpm with any regularity.  With that said you can almost bank on AFM/DoD lifter failure or loss of oil pressure to the VLOM below 150K in mild-use trucks.  The DoD/AFM engines are terrible, with at least a comparable failure rate to the 3V Mod valve train which is also terrible in my opinion.   2V/4V Mods simply almost never have follower or lash adjuster failure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

I got $20 that says you will not see an engine with more than 8 cylinders during the remainder of my life !

 

Unfortunately I agree with you.  Boy that would really be something though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

I got $20 that says you will not see an engine with more than 8 cylinders during the remainder of my life !

Since you didn’t specify Ford, I’d take the bet.  V12s are still being developed for super cars.  Over 1000hp from 6.xL.  12 cyl to stay close to the 500cc combustion chamber size.  I think you meant a Ford with more than 8 cyl.  In that case, I doubt it.  Might make a 5.4-6.0L v12 ecoboost for some specialty mfg, but I doubt it would show up in any Ford product.  
 

A v12 GT would be cool, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, slemke said:

Since you didn’t specify Ford, I’d take the bet.  V12s are still being developed for super cars.  Over 1000hp from 6.xL.  12 cyl to stay close to the 500cc combustion chamber size.  I think you meant a Ford with more than 8 cyl.  In that case, I doubt it.  Might make a 5.4-6.0L v12 ecoboost for some specialty mfg, but I doubt it would show up in any Ford product.  
 

A v12 GT would be cool, though.


The new Euro regulations are making it almost impossible to develop new V12s even for supercar mfrs like Ferrari.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, slemke said:

Since you didn’t specify Ford, I’d take the bet.  V12s are still being developed for super cars.  Over 1000hp from 6.xL.  12 cyl to stay close to the 500cc combustion chamber size.  I think you meant a Ford with more than 8 cyl.  In that case, I doubt it.  Might make a 5.4-6.0L v12 ecoboost for some specialty mfg, but I doubt it would show up in any Ford product.  
 

A v12 GT would be cool, though.

 

There's no way that Ford is going to spend what it would cost to develop a new V12 in the changing marketplace without utilizing it for a Ford product first. Not going to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2020 at 3:05 AM, 7Mary3 said:

 

I have fixed a few lifter failures/camshafts in LS engines.  Nowhere near the valvetrain issues that 3 valve Mods had.  Starting to see cam follower and valve retainer failures on older 6.2's now.

 

One of the things I don't like about the 7.3L is that all the cam phaser components are behind the timing cover.  You can get to all the LS cam phaser parts by just removing the water pump. 

The question to ask with the 7.3 is whether you need to get to the lifters if they’re just standard roller hydraulic (no AFM) and whether the cam phaser has been made more reliable because it’s in a heavy duty truck application?  
 

Of course certain design decisions prevent easy access on the 7.3, that may prove costly to owners or, it may never be a real problem until the engine has done its life’s work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×