All Electric Ford F-150 Lightning to be revealed on May 19 at 930 pm ET

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I thought the difference was with the F150 the frame is supporting everything but with a skateboard the batteries are actually part of the chassis.

I think we are now into splitting hair and definition ?

I was referring to the the concept that skateboard chassis operates just like a frame in that it can be a self-contained unit that has different top hat on it.

The skateboard itself can't be the weight bearing structure so something has to go around it. You can wrap a unibody structure around it or a frame around it. Ford's probably not going to wrap a unibody around the next gen F-150 skateboard so it will need a frame. 

See for example Hyundai's skateboard... noticed the frame around it?

hyundai-canoo-ev-platform.jpg

Edited by bzcat
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I think we are now into splitting hair and definition ?

I was referring to the the concept that skateboard chassis operates just like a frame in that it can be a self-contained unit that has different top hat on it.

The skateboard itself can't be the weight bearing structure so something has to go around it. You can wrap a unibody structure around it or a frame around it. Ford's probably not going to wrap a unibody around the next gen F-150 skateboard so it will need a frame. 

See for example Hyundai's skateboard... noticed the frame around it?

hyundai-canoo-ev-platform.jpg

Just to add bzcat to what you're explaining, here's a "unibody" skateboard chassis... no frame.

Tesla-Model-S-skateboard-powertrain.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I feel like you would want to isolate the battery for protection and durability in a truck application, but I’m no engineer.  

Could be but I think it's more about supporting max payload and towing capability which requires a traditional frame.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ford-motor-sk-innovation-batteries-ex/exclusive-ford-motor-sk-innovation-to-announce-ev-battery-joint-venture-sources-idUSKCN2D02JW?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews

"Ford Motor Co and South Korean battery maker SK Innovation are set to launch a battery joint venture in the United States to support the ramp-up of the No. 2 U.S. automaker’s electric vehicle rollout, two people familiar with the matter said."

"A memorandum of understanding about the joint venture will be announced on Thursday, the sources, who asked not to be identified, told Reuters. The deal may eventually include a jointly owned plant to make battery cells for use in rechargeable EV batteries, the sources said."

Edited by Willwll313wll
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Could be but I think it's more about supporting max payload and towing capability which requires a traditional frame.

a frame also takes away any bending or stress induced harmonics from the battery itself, so makes perfect sense given its a "truck"...Im not sold on skateboards durability when the going gets especially tough...especially given suspension mounting points being joined directly to said board.....

Edited by Deanh

5 minutes ago, Deanh said:

a frame also takes away any bending or stress induced harmonics from the battery itself, so makes perfect sense given its a "truck"...Im not sold on skateboards durability when the going gets especially tough...especially given suspension mounting points being joined directly to said board.....

I agree.  And skateboards seem to be a gigantic compromise that are engineered from efficiency and ease of assembly to be used on as many different models as possible.  Hopefully it won't result in boring, homogenous cars.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I agree.  And skateboards seem to be a gigantic compromise that are engineered from efficiency and ease of assembly to be used on as many different models as possible.  Hopefully it won't result in boring, homogenous cars.  

not only that...in the event of a crash, frame would protect batteries somewhat....a Skateboard seems to me would be an instantaneous write off....

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Looks like the front bumper is molded into the body like a Cuv/sedan. I like that Ford didn't go the Hummer route creating a $100,000+ vehicle with 1,000 hp for show and very few possible customers. Instead a truck customer who embraces the advantages of electric.

Not sure where you're seeing that.  The giant black line running across the whole vehicle is the separation of the bumper from the rest of the front.

20 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I have a question. Why is the reveal at 9:30 EST? Seems kinda late. 

While I am hopeful for some details, I will expect more of what we got in the Raptor reveal. A 3-5 minute video and that's it. 

Maybe the projection screen that was installed on the headquarters building will look better after the sun goes down?

• Like 1

All courtesy of Borg at GMI:

Standard Range Battery 230 miles. Ext Range battery 300 miles.
Starting price before tax credits $39.9K. XLT model $52.9K. 563hp, 775 torque
Zero to 60 mph 4.5sec with 2,000lb payload in standard range. Maximum 10K towing capacity.
Onboard Scales will estimate payload size and how it will affect your battery range.
400 liters of storage space in the frunk.
Included 80-amp charging station that can add an average of 30 miles of range per hour and fully charge the truck from 15 to 100 percent in roughly eight hours. The Lightning is also the first F-Series truck to include an independent rear suspension.
Charging ports on both sides.
Light-bar on the front and tailgate

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, blazerdude20 said:

You have to be kidding. The extended range is only 300?  We are talking 250 miles in the real world

I'm surprised at the pricing considering Ford knows pickups can pull a high premium. Great entry price but i wonder if they had an option to offer a bigger battery pack at a higher cost, or if that isn't feasible to get it to market soon. 

Looking forward to hearing more tonight. 

5 minutes ago, Willwll313wll said:

I'm surprised at the pricing considering Ford knows pickups can pull a high premium. Great entry price but i wonder if they had an option to offer a bigger battery pack at a higher cost, or if that isn't feasible to get it to market soon. 

Agreed. Pricing seems unbelievably low.

I am really hoping to have a 400+ mile range available. Even if it costs me $70k. I have days where I travel 300-500 miles for work. Would prefer to only stop once to charge. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Willwll313wll said:

Or it gives them PLENTY of room to improve it down the road. It's impressive to start with for sure. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

All courtesy of Borg at GMI:

Standard Range Battery 230 miles. Ext Range battery 300 miles.
Starting price before tax credits $39.9K. XLT model $52.9K. 563hp, 775 torque
Zero to 60 mph 4.5sec with 2,000lb payload in standard range. Maximum 10K towing capacity.
Onboard Scales will estimate payload size and how it will affect your battery range.
400 liters of storage space in the frunk.
Included 80-amp charging station that can add an average of 30 miles of range per hour and fully charge the truck from 15 to 100 percent in roughly eight hours. The Lightning is also the first F-Series truck to include an independent rear suspension.
Charging ports on both sides.
Light-bar on the front and tailgate

10000 pounds with an IRS!...color me impressed….

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Or it gives them PLENTY of room to improve it down the road. It's impressive to start with for sure. 

Yes sir. F-150 Lightning demonstrates that Ford is now "all in" with BEV. The company should be on track to have 100% of F-Series sales be BEV by 2035, maybe even earlier than that.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. F-150 Lightning demonstrates that Ford is now "all in" with BEV. The company should be on track to have 100% of F-Series sales be BEV by 2035, maybe even earlier than that.

you need to pump those regenerative brakes a tad there rperez….lol....I sincerely doubt that even though it is 14 years away...but hey, you never know.

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 4