Ford to announce Wednesday two dedicated all-electric vehicle platforms, one for full-size trucks and SUVs, the other for cars and crossovers

Well, this would indicate that the just announced Lightning and its chassis are a stop gap:

Ford Motor Co. plans to announce on Wednesday that it is developing two dedicated all-electric vehicle platforms, one for full-size trucks and SUVs, the other for cars and crossovers.

Ford earlier this year introduced the Mustang Mach-E, an electric crossover built on a new dedicated platform with the internal designation GE, the sources said.

A newer version of that platform, designated GE2, will debut in mid-2023, underpinning new Ford and Lincoln EVs, according to Sam Fiorani, head of global forecasting at AutoForecast Solutions.

The same GE2 platform eventually will be used as the base for replacements for the Mustang coupe and Mach-E, the sources said.

The redesigned F-150 Lightning, due in late 2025, is expected to be the first to employ the new TE1 truck architecture, Fiorani said. The first-generation Lightning, which debuts next spring, uses a platform that is heavily derived from the standard F-150.

Ford could also use the new TE1 platform for electric versions of the Lincoln Navigator and Ford Expedition utility vehicles, the sources said.

In addition, Ford is expected to get a new EV, possibly a midsize pickup, that would be based on a platform from EV startup Rivian, in which Ford is an investor.

A lot to digest there. Also this:

At Wednesday's investor event, the company also will provide more details on its long-range battery strategy, including a recently announced battery joint venture with Korea's SK Innovation, as well as broader goals for electric, commercial and self-driving vehicles, said the sources, who asked not to be named.

Hopefully we can learn what is disclosed in tomorrow's event, it's essentially Ford's new road map going forward.

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-follows-gm-vw-two-new-dedicated-ev-platforms-2025-report-says?utm_source=breaking-news&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210525&utm_content=hero-headline

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

The same GE2 platform eventually will be used as the base for replacements for the Mustang coupe and Mach-E, the sources said.

Hmmm that is interesting...so the Coupe is going BEV quicker then people are expecting...

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Hmmm that is interesting...so the Coupe is going BEV quicker then people are expecting...

Or they are adding a coupe to the Mach-e lineup.  No reason to believe they won’t coexist similar to the F150 and Lightning.

• Like 1

I’m glad the Ford is playing to its strength with larger electric trucks and whatever flows from that.

I have a feeling that the Lightning is going to be a much bigger  hit for Ford than I’d previously imagined......

14 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I’m glad the Ford is playing to its strength with larger electric trucks and whatever flows from that.

I have a feeling that the Lightning is going to be a much bigger  hit for Ford than I’d previously imagined......

And if it gets to the market before Cyertruck, it will atomic bomb Tesla.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JTL2017 said:

An all electric Explorer has been announced. Now, is it just the current Explorer but turned into an EV or will it be  it’s own thing? 

No surprises there. I bet it won’t be built at CAP. 

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Doesn't matter if it gets to market before or after Cybertruck and Hummer.  It's a game changer for the EV market.

Yes sir. Gurgeh shared a comment from an automotive industry analyst in the F-150 Lightning thread. It makes a lot of sense.

"This is a case of the early bird getting the worm, but not in the way you might expect. While other automakers may beat Ford to the starting line, Ford is set to beat everyone else to market with an electric truck that’s accessible, affordable and enticing to America’s gas-loving truck owners — and there are a heck of a lot of them."

Unless Stellantis, Toyota, and Nissan come up with good strategies for BEV pickup truck development and marketing, there's a strong possibility that Ford, GM, and Tesla will take market share away from them in the U.S. in the next 10-15 years as the automotive industry gets closer to its end goal of 100% electric vehicles.

29 minutes ago, akirby said:

Their goal is to sell whatever vehicles consumers want to buy.

Not just what consumers want to buy, but what government regulations will permit them to buy, and what investors will provide capital to design, develop, and market.

The answer to that in the next 10-15 years is 100% electric vehicles. Jim Farley made it clear that Ford is ready for that all electric future.

Edited by rperez817

13 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Not just what consumers want to buy, but what government regulations will permit them to buy, and what investors will provide capital to design, develop, and market.

The answer to that in the next 10-15 years is 100% electric vehicles. Jim Farley made it clear that Ford is ready for that all electric future.

The first two use cases for BEVs are fairly easy to support today and over the next few years: 

Commercial vehicles that operate locally

Secondary vehicles for buyers with access to home charging

Going beyond that requires the next generation of batteries with much faster charging and more range AND readily accessible public charging which I still think will require some upgrade of the electrical infrastructure.

What works in a small European country like Norway won't work in Texas.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, bzcat said:

The Rivian based truck is an interesting development. Would that be the Ranger EV or in addition to Ranger EV? I'm thinking in addition.

Same here, I think the Rivian based product will be additional.

It looks like Ford is going all-in to create an entire range of BEV pickup trucks, from compact to commercial duty, and is drawing upon both internal resources and partners like Rivian.

27 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

https://businessjournaldaily.com/ford-electric-vehicles-to-be-40-of-global-sales-by-2030/

Ford: Electric Vehicles to Be 40% of Global Sales by 2030

40% is probably pessimistic. Ford of Europe already announced that its car and light truck lineup will be 100% electric by 2030. Other parts of the world are very likely to adopt regulations similar to those in Great Britain and EU, so Ford will ramp up its efforts for all electric vehicle sales everywhere it does business.

70% is a more realistic figure for the percentage of new Ford vehicles sold globally that will be all electric by 2030.

3 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

40% is probably pessimistic. Ford of Europe already announced that its car and light truck lineup will be 100% electric by 2030. Other parts of the world are very likely to adopt regulations similar to those in Great Britain and EU, so Ford will ramp up its efforts for all electric vehicle sales everywhere it does business.

70% is a more realistic figure for the percentage of new Ford vehicles sold globally that will be all electric by 2030.

I guess you can't figure out percentages....this is TOTAL sales. Not Ford sales. Ford only makes up ~15% of the total market in the EU for example. 

Not to mention Ford will be selling a significant amount of ICE products til 2035 in NA at least

4 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I guess you can't figure out percentages....this is TOTAL sales. 

Sorry sir. For total sales from all manufacturers, 40% is still pessimistic. As mentioned earlier, regulatory actions that favor BEV including bans on the sale of ICE powered vehicles are likely to be applied throughout the globe by 2030. Plus, automakers other than Ford are already making plans for an all electric future. The number may be less than 60%, but well above 40%.