2024 Lincoln Aviator Refresh Spied Without Camo

On 2/6/2024 at 4:20 PM, joseodiaga4 said:

So this is the upper trim for China or probably the 2025 Navigator

Navigator is my guess - it looks more squared off than Aviator is.....we just all assumed it was Aviator given it was spied in an Aviator tester.

On 2/7/2024 at 1:27 AM, tbone said:

The interior isn’t that far removed from the old interior, so it’s going to age pretty quickly in this category.  

Well, it's at least a good design, so even if it isn't "new", it still looks great.

On 2/7/2024 at 7:46 AM, silvrsvt said:

The CD6 Platform is supposed to get a major refresh in the next 3-4 years to allow it go into the next decade till its replaced by an EV platform. This nothing more then an MCE on a product that is about 5 years old and had a screwed up launch, then COVID hit. 

aka 6-7 years when Ford's plans inevitably change as they always do and it gets put on the backburner lol.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tbone said:

I know there is more standard equipment, but those are not small price increases.  

Makes you wonder if they are just raising prices to see how far they can push them before sales start dropping off. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 2:25 PM, matt6 said:

Lincoln-Aviator-2025-1280-25.jpg

Design sketch from 2021 for the refresh. Always cool to these.

I'm stunned they didn't have the light bar running all the way across the grille. It looks so much better than this halfway there approach to the lighting design that just ends abruptly. 

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Makes you wonder if they are just raising prices to see how far they can push them before sales start dropping off. 

I don't know if it's changed in the past few years, but for decades Ford ran marketing research in markets all across the country and could pretty accurately forecast the impact of pricing changes on sales. They used the marketing as part of the decision-making process related to changes on incentives, rebates in particular. But with these large Lincoln price increases, it's anyone's guess! Part of it is probably the 10% profit margin standard they're trying to meet, but still?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I don't know if it's changed in the past few years, but for decades Ford ran marketing research in markets all across the country and could pretty accurately forecast the impact of pricing changes on sales. They used the marketing as part of the decision-making process related to changes on incentives, rebates in particular. But with these large Lincoln price increases, it's anyone's guess! Part of it is probably the 10% profit margin standard they're trying to meet, but still?

Well inflation is still a thing, so I think its also part of the new normal too. 

• Like 2

I haven't compared feature-by-feature what's different in the '23 vs '24 Aviator, they're above my pay grade. But in Ranger, the former Base model has been discontinued, and an option package tweaked to become the new base.

Ranger XL now has the STX Package features, but not the STX moniker. LED headlights are now standard, as well as some features that weren't available before. It carries a a higher base price, but very little change in MSRP from what the previous STX cost with the same features. It's the same strategy at Lincoln. In part, it simplifies the number of build combinations, and subjectively, plays to the status of the model hierarchy, nudging you up a package or trim level;  you really can't show up in a Base Lincoln can you?

Edited by Chrisgb
grammar tidying

If you spec out a 2024 reserve with the 201a package plus copilot 360+ and towing it’s a $8K price increase over base.  So they’re really just dropping the previous base models and making the optional upgrades standard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dequindre said:

If buyers have an income to support buying a brand new Aviator, they may not mind paying a few hundred dollars more per month per payment. This is not a price conscious crowd for the most part. 

Sometimes it’s not about if you can pay for it, but do you find the value in it.  

6 hours ago, tbone said:

It’s always about getting what you want, no matter what the price is.

Unless it’s my wife.  We were in an antiques store and saw a metal pickup truck model with the Christmas tree in back that she absolutely loved and has been wanting for years.  She gets all excited, picks it up and says I’m not paying $58 for that and put it back down.  We spend more than that on one meal eating out and we do that 2 or 3 times a week,  I had to force her to get it.  Now she loves it every time she looks at it.

Point is people buying $30k vehicles are more likely to be on a budget with payment limitations whereas people spending $60K have a lot more disposable income. Now of the added package is all stuff they do t want then that’s a different scenario.  But I suspect Lincoln already knows that the majority of sales were with the step up packages.

• Like 1

When we saw the new Nautilus launch I knew that there was no way they were keeping it at the same price point. That said the standard model does come pretty well equipped; the only model that seems to be reaching is the Black Label. A fully loaded Reserve isn’t much more than the 2024. I love my Black Label but I don’t know if I’d do that again or go with the Reserve with the Jet Appearance Package. I’d be curious to see sales of the Aviator, trim by trim. I would think they did some research before raising prices this much. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's still a shame that they put more effort into another market than its home market.  Especially considering they've already done the work for these products (I'm including Corsair's more extensive Chinese refresh, and to a lesser extent, Zephyr) over there, just add them here?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It's still a shame that they put more effort into another market than its home market.  Especially considering they've already done the work for these products (I'm including Corsair's more extensive Chinese refresh, and to a lesser extent, Zephyr) over there, just add them here?

agree, I don't understand why make two different versions.

Also I wonder if the plan is to change the interior, they have already done it with the Corsair

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

agree, I don't understand why make two different versions.

Also I wonder if the plan is to change the interior, they have already done it with the Corsair

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Yes, this is very frustrating, and in my opinion, it doesn’t make very good business sense. It’s very disappointing that they have prioritize the Chinese market over our own market and a number of models.  

15 minutes ago, tbone said:

Yes, this is very frustrating, and in my opinion, it doesn’t make very good business sense. It’s very disappointing that they have prioritize the Chinese market over our own market and a number of models.  

Some of it has to do with product cycle timing.  Some of it has to do with the Chinese market and the local competition.  And I’m sure some of it has to do with prioritizing NA resources for EVs.

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

Some of it has to do with product cycle timing.  Some of it has to do with the Chinese market and the local competition.  And I’m sure some of it has to do with prioritizing NA resources for EVs.

I understand but, shouldn’t they also be prioritizing resources for EVs for China? I mean there are a lot of new EVs and luxury EVs brands there.

6 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

I understand but, shouldn’t they also be prioritizing resources for EVs for China? I mean there are a lot of new EVs and luxury EVs brands there.

Ford is/was struggling in the Chinese market the past couple of years, so they got new product to right the ship (that was done maybe 5-7 years ago, with product cycles) before NA/EU

Ford started Focusing on EVs in 2020 or so. 

12 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Ford is/was struggling in the Chinese market the past couple of years, so they got new product to right the ship (that was done maybe 5-7 years ago, with product cycles) before NA/EU

Ford started Focusing on EVs in 2020 or so. 

True, but this thread is about a Lincoln product, and Lincoln, unlike Ford, has been doing quite well there (except for the covid period, when all car sales in China tanked). Lincoln sells more vehicles in China now than North America. I'm not suggesting more imports, but it just seems odd to me that if the work has already been done to develop a better version of a Lincoln product for the Chinese market, that the same version couldn't be made and available here, assuming that the improvements would also work in the North American market. 

Edited by Gurgeh

7 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

but it just seems odd to me that if the work has already been done to develop a better version of a Lincoln product for the Chinese market, that the same version couldn't be made and available here, assuming that the improvements would also work in the North American market. 

It boils down to the infamous arguments with Biker16 we had almost 20 years ago..if the NA Market isn't willing to pay extra for something it doesn't feel necessary, what is the point?

We've seen bitching about interior materials on Ford products for 20+ years, but has it significantly impacted sales? It seems like materials Ford is using might seem cheaper but hold up better over time over competitors using "nicer" materials in their products. 

Not my justification, but that seems like what Ford is doing.