EV Problem: Mach-E Piling Up on Dealer Lots

I checked with some of the other Ford dealerships in the DFW Metroplex (other than Autonation) about the number Mustang Mach-E in their new car stock inventory as of Sunday, 7/16/2023.

• David McDavid Ford Fort Worth: 2
  • Grapevine Ford: 7
  • Westway Ford: 6
  • Grand Prairie Ford: 5
  • Five Star Ford: 11

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I checked with some of the other Ford dealerships in the DFW Metroplex (other than Autonation) about the number Mustang Mach-E in their new car stock inventory as of Sunday, 7/16/2023.

• David McDavid Ford Fort Worth: 2
  • Grapevine Ford: 7
  • Westway Ford: 6
  • Grand Prairie Ford: 5
  • Five Star Ford: 11

How many are running incentives on the stock they have?

40 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Except that those incentives are all conditional and not available to all customers. 

Yeah I was about to say that-my local dealership had good financing rates and a cash incentive that went up as the models got more expensive and that was it.

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

Perhaps dealers should stop ordering cheaper vehicles with less range when buyers clearly want longer range.

Some buyers may but I expect not all.  Obviously if price was same everyone wants greater range, but range comes at a cost some don’t want to pay for or can afford.

As reference, I saw recently that Tesla now offers Model Y SUV in Germany as RWD only in order to lower price, and also started offering RWD Model Y in South Korea.  It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Tesla offer RWD short-range Model Y in USA also (I think they did a while back).  As far as option combinations, they don’t offer larger battery with single-motor combination as far as I know, probably because it would be too slow for a Tesla due to added weight.  I personally wouldn’t care if an EV was slower if it provided more range for same cost, but apparently manufacturers believe performance/acceleration plays a large role also.

51 minutes ago, akirby said:

Perhaps dealers should stop ordering cheaper vehicles with less range when buyers clearly want longer range.

Unless it's changed recently, the Mach-E model mix and the battery/range options are a restricted commodity for stock orders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Some buyers may but I expect not all.  Obviously if price was same everyone wants greater range, but range comes at a cost some don’t want to pay for or can afford.

As reference, I saw recently that Tesla now offers Model Y SUV in Germany as RWD only in order to lower price, and also started offering RWD Model Y in South Korea.  It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Tesla offer RWD short-range Model Y in USA also (I think they did a while back).  As far as option combinations, they don’t offer larger battery with single-motor combination as far as I know, probably because it would be too slow for a Tesla due to added weight.  I personally wouldn’t care if an EV was slower if it provided more range for same cost, but apparently manufacturers believe performance/acceleration plays a large role also.

They sold 4100 in June.  3rd highest sales month ever.  Production was down earlier this year.  That tells me that whatever dealers have on the lots just aren’t appealing.  I don’t think anyone is buying a Mach-E right now because it’s cheap.

There are 78 Mach-es either in stock or ordered near me.  Only 27 are extended range and out of those 27 only 6 are in stock.

18 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Unless it's changed recently, the Mach-E model mix and the battery/range options are a restricted commodity for stock orders. 

I suspected that might be the case.  If that’s true Ford needs to change that because the cheaper models aren’t selling as well.

I thought Farley wanted to only do special orders.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ice-capades said:

So they're not being equipped with what customers actually want then......sounds like a good strategy lol.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

So they're not being equipped with what customers actually want then......sounds like a good strategy lol.

Yep, sounds about right. They’ve had a long, LONG history of just building what they want instead of what customers demand 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yep, sounds about right. They’ve had a long, LONG history of just building what they want instead of what customers demand 

I'd guess as BEVs are more widely purchased and/or as buyers buy new BEVs.....a "2nd gen" purchase, perhaps we'll see people more willing to "downgrade" to lesser range as they find they don't need it.  But for folks with range anxiety and having to switch mentalities to a BEV mindset, buyers want the range.

Sounds like they really need to adjust their production mix.

9 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I'd guess as BEVs are more widely purchased and/or as buyers buy new BEVs.....a "2nd gen" purchase, perhaps we'll see people more willing to "downgrade" to lesser range as they find they don't need it.  But for folks with range anxiety and having to switch mentalities to a BEV mindset, buyers want the range.

I'd say good luck to that-going on what sells these days, people are more then willing to overbuy in the vehicles they get, even if they don't really need it. I guess people might adjust if it becomes a financial issue or they'll just get a 8 year car loan.  

Early adopters are usually not price conscious and with EVs today range can be hugely important.

I think Ford just misjudged the market and will need to adjust production.  Better to sell 2 long range than have 3 short range sitting on dealer lots.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'd say good luck to that-going on what sells these days, people are more then willing to overbuy in the vehicles they get, even if they don't really need it. I guess people might adjust if it becomes a financial issue or they'll just get a 8 year car loan.  

Oh, I agree with what you're saying - that it's not likely people won't overbuy......just saying especially now with range anxiety, people aren't likely to buy a vehicle with what they view as "suboptimal" range..

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I'd guess as BEVs are more widely purchased and/or as buyers buy new BEVs.....a "2nd gen" purchase, perhaps we'll see people more willing to "downgrade" to lesser range as they find they don't need it.

I've got a 2021 Mach E that I'll probably replace with a '24. Depending on price, I'll probably downsize the battery and switch to RWD, because I've accepted that for the next few years, I'll use my ICE Expedition for road trips.

I realize that a lot of people have different needs than I do, though, and don't have the luxury of having multiple vehicles.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, balthisar said:

I've got a 2021 Mach E that I'll probably replace with a '24. Depending on price, I'll probably downsize the battery and switch to RWD, because I've accepted that for the next few years, I'll use my ICE Expedition for road trips.

I realize that a lot of people have different needs than I do, though, and don't have the luxury of having multiple vehicles.

Yeah, if you have access to another vehicle like that, it does make sense that you could get something more.....right sized for daily use, if you will.

But as you mention, not everyone has multiple so they try to get a jack of all trades.

23 minutes ago, Deanh said:

on another note...Ford just announced rather large discounts ( up to 17 % is what I heard ) on Lightnings....hmmmm...wonder whats causing this.....

Elon says even with the new discounts, the lightning is still over priced. Wonder what that means (if anything) for the cyber truck price?

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I only know one person who traded a BEV for another (both Tesla Model S) and he went with maximum available range of just over 400 miles on new one.  In fairness, I believe his first was also maximum range available at the time — about 270 miles — and it’s possible there is only the 100 kWh battery on Model S now.  In his case I’m certain he would not have downgraded capacity to save on cost.  I think a lot depends on budget, and also on willingness to plan trips.  Now that I think about it, BEV owners I know best are both pilots, so planning trips and refueling stops around available range is nothing new to them.  I agree that mindset and also expectations probably play major role on what is acceptable range.

23 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Elon says even with the new discounts, the lightning is still over priced. Wonder what that means (if anything) for the cyber truck price?

It means he'll keep his advertised low price of 35k or whatever they announced, except they'll produce like 5 of them so they can say they make them, while most will be far higher than that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

on another note...Ford just announced rather large discounts ( up to 17 % is what I heard ) on Lightnings....hmmmm...wonder whats causing this.....

"Increased plant capacity, continued work on scaling production and cost, and improving battery raw material costs" combined with upcoming competition from GM and Tesla is what caused Ford to lower prices for F-150 Lightning. Here is the press release. Greater Plant Capacity, Improving Efficiencies Support Lower F-150 Lightning Prices for Customers | Ford Media Center

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

"Increased plant capacity, continued work on scaling production and cost, and improving battery raw material costs" combined with upcoming competition from GM and Tesla is what caused Ford to lower prices for F-150 Lightning. Here is the press release. Greater Plant Capacity, Improving Efficiencies Support Lower F-150 Lightning Prices for Customers | Ford Media Center

code for " they arent moving like they should "....we need to sweeten the pot....and they ARE extremely expensive...and the more expensive a unit it the smaller the market...volitile market for sure

• Like 1