Toyota Land Cruiser

T-dubz

28 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Have you heard of the Ford Bronco? (I do wish they had a fixed top Bronco). 

Does this replace 4Runner?

If you ask bronco owners, their only competition is the wrangler, but yea a fixed roof off-road oriented vehicle is what I am referring to. The TFL review mentioned it was around 2 inches longer than a 4Runner, so very similar in size. The current 4Runner starts at 40k so that leave a bit of wiggle room between the two. Rumors are that the next 4Runner will look similar to the Tacoma.

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

2024-toyota-land-cruiser-exterior-front-2024-toyota-land-cruiser-interior-dashbo2024-toyota-land-cruiser-exterior-front-https://www.motor1.com/news/679782/2024-toyota-land-cruiser-debut/

Really wish Ford had something to compete with this. Starting price should be mid 50’s

They do, it’s called the Everest, but they refuse to sell it here. I personally don’t understand why they keep referring to this as a Bronco competitor. If it had a removable top, I would understand, but it doesn’t. I see the Wrangler as its only competitor.  

With that said, I think it looks pretty good. Toyota has taken some positive steps in the styling department, compared to the past.  

4 hours ago, twintornados said:

So, during a mid-cycle refresh, Ford should consider a fixed roof Bronco...not 100% sure what the take rate would be.

Ive never seen a bronco without its roof on. Every jeep I see has a hard top now. Where I live, it’s just too hot to have the roof off in the summer. Winters are too cold. Spring and fall barely exist. I think a fixed roof would sell well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sullynd said:

Does this replace 4Runner?

Motor Trend's article on 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser suggests the answer is no. 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser First Look: Return to Glory (motortrend.com)

given the Land Cruiser's new two-row, five-passenger arrangement, it begs the question: "What will happen with the 4Runner?" Toyota says not to worry. The 4Runner is a U.S.-based model that attracts a younger customer base, while the Land Cruiser is a global model that was designed for a more mature audience. Sounds to us like a new body-on-frame version of the 4Runner is in the offing in the not too distant future.

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Ive never seen a bronco without its roof on. Every jeep I see has a hard top now. Where I live, it’s just too hot to have the roof off in the summer. Winters are too cold. Spring and fall barely exist. I think a fixed roof would sell well.

That's one of the big reasons I got it was the ability to take the top off.  I'd have it off far more than I have if weather were more cooperative - it rains too often in the summer here to keep it off and is too hot.

During our "winter" I had doors and roof off for a couple weeks straight.

I do understand that most stay on for the life of the car though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The styling on this thing honestly makes me think of "generic SUV" you see in video games.  It's just there, and could literally be anything without badging.

I agree, I could see this being a vehicle in Grand theft auto video games. With that said, it has some nice design cues. I like how the fenders and hood sort of wrap over the grille. The bronco grille would look better if it was similar. I think several owners have even painted the outer edge of their grilles to give it a similar look. I also like the upright windshield. The Everest is a good attempt by ford, but imo the grille doesn’t go with the rest of the body very well and the windshield is slanted a bit too much.

Wow, that looks pretty good.  If I buy a Bronco, I for one would never take the top off.  So yes I would consider a Land Cruiser to be a competitor to a 4 door Bronco in my particular instance.

Note to Toyota:  Make the Tundra look like that and you will double sales.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Why not?  

27MPG in hybrid only Land Cruiser sets it apart from Bronco, but not Grand Cherokee 4xe. Probably hard to compare Explorer Timberline without low range 4WD.  Maybe when the Bronco PHEV goes on sale or the Timberline gets more off road parts,  there could be some more cross shopping 

14 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

27MPG in hybrid only Land Cruiser sets it apart from Bronco, but not Grand Cherokee 4xe. Probably hard to compare Explorer Timberline without low range 4WD.  Maybe when the Bronco PHEV goes on sale or the Timberline gets more off road parts,  there could be some more cross shopping 

You’re assuming everyone shopping these vehicles care about mpgs.  They don’t therefore they’re all potentially cross shopped as rugged 4 door SUVs.

16 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

A Land Cruiser buyer is a totally different demographic than a Bronco buyer. As far as the 4Runner-people buy the 4Runner for what it isn't. They want "old school".

Land Cruiser might be different but outside the 4Runner and Bronco enthusiasts there is no reason somebody looking at off road capable 4 door SUVs wouldn’t look at both.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, akirby said:

Land Cruiser might be different but outside the 4Runner and Bronco enthusiasts there is no reason somebody looking at off road capable 4 door SUVs wouldn’t look at both.

If the ability to remove your roof is important, a customer wouldn't be looking at Land Cruiser or 4 Runner.

48 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

If the ability to remove your roof is important, a customer wouldn't be looking at Land Cruiser or 4 Runner.

Do you guys understand cross shopping?  It doesn’t mean EVERY buyer cross shops multiple vehicles.

The question is for the subset of buyers that look at multiple vehicles/mfrs would some of them consider both of these?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, akirby said:

Do you guys understand cross shopping?  It doesn’t mean EVERY buyer cross shops multiple vehicles.

The question is for the subset of buyers that look at multiple vehicles/mfrs would some of them consider both of these?

My brother has a Bronco.  He will probably never remove the roof.  Not all Bronco buyers consider a removable roof important.  My brother doesn’t care for Toyota.  Otherwise, he certainly would have cross shopped those two vehicles if the Land Cruiser had been available at the time. 

21 hours ago, akirby said:

Nowhere did I say there's NO cross shopping.  Just pointed out that those that prioritize roof removal wouldn't be looking at either of those models/cross shop.

Edited by rmc523