UAW Demands 46% Pay Hike

I'd say the biggest issue with EVs now is pricing and to a lesser degree range/ability to charge "easily". Range isn't as much of an issue if you can charge to say 250-300 miles in 20 minutes or so. 

I'm just wondering how fast the government's charging station mandates will take and how reliable they will be once implemented. That will be a big help if its done right. 

Pricing should improve as more battery production is ramped over the rest of the decade. 

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

More production is helpful, however if material prices stay as high as they are greater production capacity is only going to do so much. 

Increased production would allow costs to be spread across units...I'd expect a 30K battery pack for a car to go down to a more reasonable 5-10K (hopefully). Part of the reason they are are so expensive is there is no extra capacity to make extra batteries now. 

I'm gonna guess that a battery pack doesn't cost 30K, its more along the lines of 20-25K at the moment. 

Isn’t it common practice to ask for the maximum and settle somewhere in the middle?

I would like to pose a simple question to those who think the demands are over the top. 
Taking into account the raise that was “given back” and not repaid as promised when things got better and the elimination of COLA, where would the hourly wage need to be increased to today to just break even? 
Take that number and subtract it from what is being demanded. Then ask yourself if the demands are really that outrageous. 

2 hours ago, Maislebandit said:

Isn’t it common practice to ask for the maximum and settle somewhere in the middle?

I would like to pose a simple question to those who think the demands are over the top. 
Taking into account the raise that was “given back” and not repaid as promised when things got better and the elimination of COLA, where would the hourly wage need to be increased to today to just break even? 
Take that number and subtract it from what is being demanded. Then ask yourself if the demands are really that outrageous. 

The issue is with rattling the saber and not being “reasonable”. It’s all a show 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The issue is with rattling the saber and not being “reasonable”. It’s all a show 

My Unifor union is taking the quiet approach I actually like what the UAW is doing. We all deserve some gains I don’t think all of what is being proposed will happen. That’s my opinion though. 

25 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

My Unifor union is taking the quiet approach I actually like what the UAW is doing. We all deserve some gains I don’t think all of what is being proposed will happen. That’s my opinion though. 

What they say in public means nothing.  What they tell Ford in private May be different.

36 minutes ago, akirby said:

What they say in public means nothing.  What they tell Ford in private May be different.

That’s true, Unifor isn’t the UAW they’re their own entity. I just hope we don’t get a less than UAW contract AGAIN! Then again we’re just poor cousin Canadians up here! 

47 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

I have respect for unions that are actually run by workers...not one run by political bureaucrats who know knowing about the work that their "brothers" do for living. 

When was the last time anyone at the upper levels of the UAW worked on an assembly line?

I respect unions that work with the company to get the best pay and benefits and job security possible but stay market competitive and don’t make outrageous demands and use extortion tactics.  And don’t protect bad workers or stifle productivity in the process.

My buddy was in the union before moving to management back in the 80s.  He ran a printer that took 10 minutes to turn on in the morning.  His shift started at 7:30 am.  At 7:20 he would turn on the printer then go get coffee so it was ready to go at 7:30.  His coworkers filed a grievance for doing work outside scheduled hours.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

I respect unions that work with the company to get the best pay and benefits and job security possible but stay market competitive and don’t make outrageous demands and use extortion tactics.  And don’t protect bad workers or stifle productivity in the process.

My buddy was in the union before moving to management back in the 80s.  He ran a printer that took 10 minutes to turn on in the morning.  His shift started at 7:30 am.  At 7:20 he would turn on the printer then go get coffee so it was ready to go at 7:30.  His coworkers filed a grievance for doing work outside scheduled hours.  

My dad drove truck for 25 years. He went into a GM plant in the 1970s and saw his cousin...on the job...drunk off his butt so much he did not recognize my dad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

As a salaried technical leader for many years, I learned early to be careful around unionised people, most are OK people but you get the odd few that look to make an issue out of everything they are asked to do or not do. All suddenly become my friends when  their professional qualification are due for recertification and they need me to sign off on activities over the past five years…..

• Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 10:04 PM, Oacjay98 said:

That’s true, Unifor isn’t the UAW they’re their own entity.

Unifor came from the CAW, and the CAW broke away from the UAW, because the membership thought that the UAW was way too weak in its demands, right? I might be misremembering it, but it seems to me that you OAC guys should be the loud ones. On the other hand, with St. Thomas closed, it's just you now.

4 hours ago, balthisar said:

Unifor came from the CAW, and the CAW broke away from the UAW, because the membership thought that the UAW was way too weak in its demands, right? I might be misremembering it, but it seems to me that you OAC guys should be the loud ones. On the other hand, with St. Thomas closed, it's just you now.

I’m fully aware of the whole history of the whole UAW to CAW to UNIFOR history.  Ya it’s just OAC the Windsor engine operations and 3 distribution centres left in Canada. It was a shame to see old Ford Talbotville go and get demolished and now a damn Amazon Distributon Centre is in its place . As for OAC, OAC has been known to turn down contracts but there were more operations to offset past no votes. When Talbotville was closing they signed an agreement to get a reprieve so basically voted for a contract that OAC was against and I didn’t damn well blame them at the time because their plant was closing. Anyways I question how much teeth this workforce has anymore. Time will tell!