Ford pauses Marshall Battery Plant

• silvrsvt changed the title to Ford pauses Marshall Battery Plant

IMO this is what is going on-

Nothing is going to happen to BOC-its already started and I'm guessing about 50% or more completed

There is a battery plant also getting built in TN  next door to BOC, with SK, which is based out of Korea

The plant in MI was supposed to be done with CATL, who is based out of China.

So it is one of two things-there is something going on with CATL or Ford doesn't need 400,000 EV batteries in starting in 2026 and is pushing it back a few years till demand increase. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Holy jumping to conclusions people

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-stops-work-35-billion-ev-battery-plant-michigan

Ford said it's limiting spending on BlueOval Battery Park Michigan ‘until we're confident about our ability to competitively operate the plant.

Yeah this is more of a message to the union than anything else.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

The NIMBY's are also raising quite a ruckus in Marshall which may, or may not, be a factor.

And those same bumkins will complain when their children move away because there are no jobs.  This site was marketed to heavy industry for decades- they only raised hell when the dirt was turned. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

LOL

It's way too far along to cancel. OTOH, Ford might slow walk the start up depending on market conditions at the time it's approaching operation.

Per the ramblings about the new contact, the UAW has the right to strike over plant closings.  Perhaps Ford could decide to produce the upcoming electric trucks at one of their existing underutilized  assembly plants and produce Marshall's batteries at BOC instead?

Edited by Footballfan

14 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

Per the ramblings about the new contact, the UAW has the right to strike over plant closings.  Perhaps Ford could decide to produce the upcoming electric trucks at one of their existing underutilized  assembly plants and produce Marshall's batteries at BOC instead?

Only “underutilized” plant is Flat Rock and there is no way Trucks can be built there without a major rebuild. 

The only thing I can think of that they can do at Flat rock is add an EV sedan at some point (very unlikely) or maybe add the Puma, but I’m going to guess the labor costs would kill that idea. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Only “underutilized” plant is Flat Rock and there is no way Trucks can be built there without a major rebuild. 

The only thing I can think of that they can do at Flat rock is add an EV sedan at some point (very unlikely) or maybe add the Puma, but I’m going to guess the labor costs would kill that idea. 

I was thinking of Louisville as well.  Another provision of the contract is that indefinitely laid off employees have yo be paid up to 2 years wages and health care.  It would probably be in Ford's best interest to keep the plants full of product. 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think you’re all wrong. There’s been allegations of the governor funneling dark money into the community to shove this project down everyone’s throat. 

I’m not talking out of my ass either, I brought receipts.

https://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/news/report-whitmers-allies-target-opponents-of-marshall-battery-plant?fbclid=IwAR0GCu2Pq36lQGfRA0uqF1355BZ99iLRIRtDl8x57zvjFFnQsZtGexo1lp0

I heard about this months ago but dismissed it because I figured it was yet another example of the powers that be forging ahead with something the everyday people don’t want because they can grift money off of the situation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

I was thinking of Louisville as well.  Another provision of the contract is that indefinitely laid off employees have yo be paid up to 2 years wages and health care.  It would probably be in Ford's best interest to keep the plants full of product. 

They are pretty busy with the Escape and Corsair and whatever their replacements are going to be, plus they are close the KTP for Super Duties and I'm guessing they could always transfer to BOC also. 

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

They are pretty busy with the Escape and Corsair and whatever their replacements are going to be, plus they are close the KTP for Super Duties and I'm guessing they could always transfer to BOC also. 

I could see Flat Rock getting a major investment.  The head of the UAW/Ford bargaining team used to be Local 3000's Chairperson.

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I’m not talking out of my ass either, I brought receipts.

https://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/news/report-whitmers-allies-target-opponents-of-marshall-battery-plant?fbclid=IwAR0GCu2Pq36lQGfRA0uqF1355BZ99iLRIRtDl8x57zvjFFnQsZtGexo1lp0

I heard about this months ago but dismissed it because I figured it was yet another example of the powers that be forging ahead with something the everyday people don’t want because they can grift money off of the situation. 

There are just as many people in Marshall that want this project than there are that oppose it.  To be honest, I do not feel sorry for the complainers.  They knew- or at least should have known- that the site Ford is building on was Michigan's premier "megasite" for decades- in the past it was peddled to Volkswagen among others.  There are a few households that directly abut the site, but the vast majority of the complainers live nowhere near the site- it is to the west of I-69 while the city of Marshall is to the east of I-69. The roads around the site are being configured where there will be zero truck traffic that goes through the city.

Most of these people that bitch about the project will be the same ones that will oppose a new 7-11 in town.  Major projects like this will always face opposition- they are getting static at the Rivian site in Georgia and BOC as well.

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

IMO this is what is going on-

Nothing is going to happen to BOC-its already started and I'm guessing about 50% or more completed

There is a battery plant also getting built in TN  next door to BOC, with SK, which is based out of Korea

The plant in MI was supposed to be done with CATL, who is based out of China.

So it is one of two things-there is something going on with CATL or Ford doesn't need 400,000 EV batteries in starting in 2026 and is pushing it back a few years till demand increase. 

I think your latter view is correct, Ford now realises that rollout of BEVs is going to be a lot slower than Ford’s public BEV timetable. Looks like Ford and Farley got caught up in its own hype and now realises that sales growth is much slower now that early adopters have moved on from Mach E and Lightning. 

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I think your latter view is correct, Ford now realises that rollout of BEVs is going to be a lot slower than Ford’s public BEV timetable. Looks like Ford and Farley got caught up in its own hype and now realises that sales growth is much slower now that early adopters have moved on from Mach E and Lightning. 

I've yet to see a Lightning (not surprising) and have never seen a Mustang Mach-E on the road.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

............And for the foreseable future (the big question-"foreseable" is 5yrs? 10  yrs?) hybrids make  the most sense???

• Like 4