Oct. '23 - Sales Numbers

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Well said justins. I prefer Mustang Mach-E over Tesla Model Y because the Ford's exterior styling is so much better than the Tesla's. But for most consumers (who don't mind the ugly and/or boring styling that characterizes most crossover type vehicles), Model Y is a better choice overall as Motor Trend explained in its comparison. 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E vs. Tesla Model Y: The Next Normal (motortrend.com)

I doubt we actually know what percent of population find a Tesla aesthetically pleasing enough to purchase.  On Saturday I was looking at a Tesla 3 while tailgating with a guy who is on his second Tesla, and he insisted the simplicity of design made it look much better and more modern than a new Honda CR-V parked close by.  It’s hard to say because the CR-V could have cost about the same, but perhaps owner liked the way it looked better than a Tesla 3, or it could meet more functional needs, etc.

I guess we could ask the question backwards.  Given the same price as a Tesla Model 3 or Y after incentives, why are so many buyers choosing other vehicles when they could have gotten a Tesla 3/Y?  Why did they pass on the Tesla at same price?

18 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

I guess we could ask the question backwards.  Given the same price as a Tesla Model 3 or Y after incentives, why are so many buyers choosing other vehicles when they could have gotten a Tesla 3/Y?  Why did they pass on the Tesla at same price?

Not everyone wants to buy an appliance? Tesla styling wise is about as attractive as Toyota or the like..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Tesla styling wise is about as attractive as Toyota or the like..

Model X and Model Y are dramatically worse than Model S and Model 3 in the exterior styling department, but that's typical of crossover type vehicles that are derived from regular passenger cars. 

Edited by rperez817

On 11/3/2023 at 6:40 PM, jpd80 said:

It would be great if new larger Mondeo could be built at Flat Rock but I know that’s a pipe dream,

it’s probably a Mustang hybrid variant that’s planned.

Unrelated,

I’m watching the European MEB based Explorer slowly evolve into a more Ford based product

with own batteries, controller and electric motors ext…..it’s like they white anted VW out of its profits.

Anyways, that Euro BEV Explorer is about the same size a Mach E, I wonder about the learnings from

that project and whether Ford now has the design maturity to start building its own design affordable

compact BEVs. It should also start making Puma BEV in Mexico…

Flat Rock produced Fusion for a time - I'd imagine Mondeo would fit.

• Like 1

News from the great southern land, Ford Australia remanufactures new F150 RHD at 20/day at the moment, all versions are LWB & SWB crew cabs in XLT & Lariat with 3.5 EB. Reception has been good with many remarking that it feels like a big Ranger….she’s a big horse alright but we love her.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Sounds great, but is the typical Australian garage big enough to fit an F150?

Don't know about Australia, but even in Canada, unless it is regular cab and short box, an F-150 won't fit in many garages. SIL had a F-150 CC and it didn't fit in the garage, either current home, or previous one. Might be different in rural areas. We also have single family homes that don't have a garage.

6 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Don't know about Australia, but even in Canada, unless it is regular cab and short box, an F-150 won't fit in many garages. SIL had a F-150 CC and it didn't fit in the garage, either current home, or previous one. Might be different in rural areas. We also have single family homes that don't have a garage.

Virtually nobody parks their F150 in a garage,  I do but I’m the exception, and I only have 2 inches to spare front and back.

47 minutes ago, akirby said:

Virtually nobody parks their F150 in a garage,  I do but I’m the exception, and I only have 2 inches to spare front and back.

When I get mine, it won’t fit in my current garage but because of height not length. When I move a garage big enough for the truck is something I’ll keep an eye out for not not necessarily a must-have. 

1 hour ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

That's why Ford would be wise to offer lower profile versions of the Super Duty and Transit that will fit under a 7 foot garage opening.

It may interest some SD owners, but a lower profile F-450 wouldn't interest me, as about 4 ft would be sticking out past the garage door and partially blocking the back alley. Since it is a single lane back alley, it would need some tough manoeuvring to even get it into the garage. DW's Escape only fits with a couple of feet to spare, and the F-450 is at least 6 or 7 ft longer than the Escape. Therefore, the 7' opening is irrelevant in my case.

After driving a Mustang for 6 years, I also enjoy the higher ride height of the F-350 & F-450.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I had a similar experience with the Extended Aerostar. Cleaned out the garage to make space and it only had a couple of inches clearance. Since those were before the days of front/rear sensors and 360 cameras, DW wasn't interested in parking it in the garage, so it lived on the driveway.

1 hour ago, Rangers09 said:

I had a similar experience with the Extended Aerostar. Cleaned out the garage to make space and it only had a couple of inches clearance. Since those were before the days of front/rear sensors and 360 cameras, DW wasn't interested in parking it in the garage, so it lived on the driveway.

I just bought a heavy rubber curb and added a spacer to locate it against the wall.  

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 12:17 AM, GearheadGrrrl said:

Sounds great, but is the typical Australian garage big enough to fit an F150?

Already have Ram 1500 and Silverado 1500/HD selling her at around 300 a month for each, F150 probably better than that as sold through Ford dealerships as a new remanufattured vehicle with full factory warranty. The funny part is that F150 will probably attract a lot of Landcruiser buyers, word is those folks not liking the new 300.

Our car park spaces barely accept Hilux/Ranger, F Series take two parking spots, garage is out of the question but many rural owners have big ass sheds so probably those sorts of buyers. It’s great seeing F Truck back but still see a few older ones imported new by Ford from  South America with 7.3 Powerstroke and a few 4.0 I-6 diesels - that was South American only diesel.

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Our car park spaces barely accept Hilux/Ranger, F Series take two parking spots, garage is out of the question but many rural owners have big ass sheds so probably those sorts of buyers. It’s great seeing F Truck back but still see a few older ones imported new by Ford from  South America with 7.3 Powerstroke and a few 4.0 I-6 diesels - that was South American only diesel.

Not much difference in the Great White North. When I take the F-450 to the mall, it normally requires 4 spaces. The spaces are only as wide as the truck and with the front bumper at the front of the spot, the rear tires are on the back line, so I hang into the space behind by about 3 feet. Couldn't open the doors if I only used 1 spot.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Not much difference in the Great White North. When I take the F-450 to the mall, it normally requires 4 spaces. The spaces are only as wide as the truck and with the front bumper at the front of the spot, the rear tires are on the back line, so I hang into the space behind by about 3 feet. Couldn't open the doors if I only used 1 spot.

Ah yes, the 4-spot straddle,,,,,

HRG

4-spot straddle.JPG

400104271_1982566208790766_1516952442766169385_n.jpg

• Like 1

Ford could sell double the number of Mavericks if they could build them. Although it's assumed around here that everyone is rich and $70-80k F-150s are no issue for middle class Americans the country is hungry for affordable vehicles that have real value built into them. I've asked a few local dealers what is the most requested vehicle people ask for when they come in and they all reply Maverick. They don't have any to sell. Ford needs to build more especially in this time of high interest rates and out of control vehicle prices.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

Ford could sell double the number of Mavericks if they could build them. Although it's assumed around here that everyone is rich and $70-80k F-150s are no issue for middle class Americans the country is hungry for affordable vehicles that have real value built into them. I've asked a few local dealers what is the most requested vehicle people ask for when they come in and they all reply Maverick. They don't have any to sell. Ford needs to build more especially in this time of high interest rates and out of control vehicle prices.

issue is I do not think Fords profit margin on the Maverick is that much at all, thats the issue in a nutshell....due to ongoing commodity and supply issues one has to err business towards the more profitable vehciles in their lineup...and sadly that means the higher  priced and equipped units in their lineup...and its doesnt help that its even MORE of a necessity when that profit is needed to counter the losses experienced by the Electric arm of their lineup...  

• Like 2