Oct. '23 - Sales Numbers

• ice-capades changed the title to Oct. '23 - Sales Numbers

Not a terrible month but being down 5% still hurts the overall numbers.

Clearly the Bronco and Ranger production stoppage from the UAW strike hurt both of their sales pretty badly. Ranger also has almost zero inventory around the country. Happy to hear Michigan Assembly will be adding that 3rd shift eventually. Here’s hoping procurement can get the parts to support those 3 full shifts.

Explorer had a good October but YTD is down 10%. I wish Ford cared about the Explorer like it does the F-Series. It used to but now I don’t see it. Bronco is now the favorite SUV inside.

There have just been so many headwinds over the last 3 years. Ford is always in damage control mode. I want to see a time where Ford has a market advantage over everyone else for once. 

9 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

Clearly the Bronco and Ranger production stoppage from the UAW strike hurt both of their sales pretty badly. Ranger also has almost zero inventory around the country. Happy to hear Michigan Assembly will be adding that 3rd shift eventually. Here’s hoping procurement can get the parts to support those 3 full shifts.

Ranger production would have still been very low without the strike. 

13 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ranger production would have still been very low without the strike. 

Yes, lower F Series and Ranger sales account for most of the drop, some other vehicle sales were up helping to compensate but it is what it is and we’re all glad that work relations are moving forward.

Edited by jpd80

Mach E sales were down to 2,732 sales last month even though over 12,000 were available at dealers….

Lightning sales jumped to 3,712 last month I wonder if that’s about the same level of sales as the 3.0 diesel…

Edited by jpd80

21 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Explorer had a good October but YTD is down 10%. I wish Ford cared about the Explorer like it does the F-Series. It used to but now I don’t see it. Bronco is now the favorite SUV inside.

There have just been so many headwinds over the last 3 years. Ford is always in damage control mode. I want to see a time where Ford has a market advantage over everyone else for once. 

Explorers are being held up right now due to the wonder full recall 23S48....camera issue that has also effected a BUNCH of Fords lineup..

Edited by Deanh

20 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Explorer had a stop sale last month.

Just saw that the 2024 mach e will be dropping the California route 1 trim. I wonder if the reason was low sales, or maybe they didn’t have enough of the extended range batteries?

This is its fourth model year now, and no mid cycle refresh yet. Don’t they usually happen around the 3 year mark? Is ford planning on having a second gen mach e or is it getting axed in favor of the other second gen evs? If the latter, it would make sense ford isn’t spending more money on it.

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Just saw that the 2024 mach e will be dropping the California route 1 trim. I wonder if the reason was low sales, or maybe they didn’t have enough of the extended range batteries?

Good catch T-dubz. California Route 1 trim on 2021-2023 Mustang Mach-E has effectively been replaced by the new Select AWD Extended Range trim for 2024 Model Year.

On 11/3/2023 at 7:07 AM, Deanh said:

what exactly is a Ranger?

You’ll be pleased to know that Aussie sales of Ranger and Everest are so strong that Ford hired another ship to increase deliveries, in September it was like 7,500 or more delivered that were pre sold up to six months ago. 

Aussie October sales below

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/vfacts-october-2023-another-month-another-australian-new-car-sales-record

1. Ford Ranger – 6215
  2. Toyota HiLux – 5766
  3. Isuzu D-Max – 3198
  4. Toyota RAV4 – 2598
  5. MG ZS – 2537
  6. Mazda CX-5 – 2509
  7. Toyota Prado – 2320
  8. Mitsubishi Outlander – 2238
  9. Ford Everest – 1803
  10. Hyundai Tucson – 1762
  11. Toyota Corolla – 1746
  12. Mazda CX-30 – 1646
  13. Mitsubishi Triton – 1643
  14. Kia Sportage – 1529
  15. Hyundai i30 – 1521
  16. Toyota LandCruiser Wagon – 1450
  17. MG 3 – 1412
  18. Hyundai Kona – 1378
  19. Subaru Forester – 1351
  20. Mazda BT-50 – 1289
  21. Nissan X-Trail – 1210
  22. Tesla Model 3 – 1178
  23. Toyota Kluger – 1126
  24. Toyota LandCruiser 70 cab-chassis – 1111
  25. Mazda CX-3 – 1085
  26. MG HS – 1047
  27. Volkswagen Amarok – 1024
  28. Mitsubishi ASX – 996
  29. Subaru Outback – 981
  30. Isuzu MU-X – 962
Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Hybrid growth is promising.   Disappointing to see Mustang as only “car”.  I’m on a road trip and see a lot of new sedans of all sizes and costs on I-10.

It would be great if new larger Mondeo could be built at Flat Rock but I know that’s a pipe dream,

it’s probably a Mustang hybrid variant that’s planned.

Unrelated,

I’m watching the European MEB based Explorer slowly evolve into a more Ford based product

with own batteries, controller and electric motors ext…..it’s like they white anted VW out of its profits.

Anyways, that Euro BEV Explorer is about the same size a Mach E, I wonder about the learnings from

that project and whether Ford now has the design maturity to start building its own design affordable

compact BEVs. It should also start making Puma BEV in Mexico…

19 hours ago, T-dubz said:

This is its fourth model year now, and no mid cycle refresh yet. Don’t they usually happen around the 3 year mark? Is ford planning on having a second gen mach e or is it getting axed in favor of the other second gen evs? If the latter, it would make sense ford isn’t spending more money on it.

It also launched during COVID like the Bronco, so I think refreshes might have slipped to the right due to the shitshow that entailed after that. 

Plus it seems like EVs (due to Tesla) aren't as updated as much as ICE products are currently-I see that changing though. 

I think the next gen Mach E will launch in 24 months or so, but due to everything else, who knows. We where supposed to have the EV Explorer/Lincoln already too.

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

It also launched during COVID like the Bronco, so I think refreshes might have slipped to the right due to the shitshow that entailed after that. 

Plus it seems like EVs (due to Tesla) aren't as updated as much as ICE products are currently-I see that changing though. 

I think the next gen Mach E will launch in 24 months or so, but due to everything else, who knows. We where supposed to have the EV Explorer/Lincoln already too.

Good point, it’s probably cost prohibitive to make updates regularly on a low volume product too. I think in the case of Tesla, they didn’t have to refresh because there wasn’t much competition. But going forward I would expect that to change, especially with skateboard platforms. It seems like it would be easier than ever to make updates to the tophat.

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Oakville will probably be out of action for most of 2024 but fingers crossed, initial production of the two BEV 3- rows should start in about a year from now, GE2 based Mach E will probably be after that……I’m hoping those low Mach E sales are temporary otherwise I can see the next Gen being pushed back or canceled. There’s about 13,500 Mach Es with dealers nationwide, many will probably need cash incentives to move.

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Good point, it’s probably cost prohibitive to make updates regularly on a low volume product too. I think in the case of Tesla, they didn’t have to refresh because there wasn’t much competition. But going forward I would expect that to change, especially with skateboard platforms. It seems like it would be easier than ever to make updates to the tophat.

Tesla has been skating along with refreshes due to the lack of competition which is now starting to bite them in ass. I don't see other makers being able to do that. 

On 11/5/2023 at 8:59 AM, silvrsvt said:

Tesla has been skating along with refreshes due to the lack of competition which is now starting to bite them in ass. I don't see other makers being able to do that. 

Until the competition start getting reviews that end with "You should buy this over a Tesla" Tesla have no reason to do MCEs. 

The competition is still catching up to what Tesla released 4, 5, 6 years ago... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justins said:

Until the competition start getting reviews that end with "You should buy this over a Tesla" Tesla have no reason to do MCEs. 

The competition is still catching up to what Tesla released 4, 5, 6 years ago... 

plus Tesla do progressive line changes rather than typical MCEs, and the changes are probably more applicable to buyers than just changing sheet metal or lights…..people put way to much stock into that because a certain staleness is built into the lateness of product to market. Tesla 3 and Y shapes were so different it takes years for their fans to get bored, it like their styling signature.

8 hours ago, justins said:

Well said justins. I prefer Mustang Mach-E over Tesla Model Y because the Ford's exterior styling is so much better than the Tesla's. But for most consumers (who don't mind the ugly and/or boring styling that characterizes most crossover type vehicles), Model Y is a better choice overall as Motor Trend explained in its comparison. 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E vs. Tesla Model Y: The Next Normal (motortrend.com)

Ford's first serious, stand-alone EV has indeed put up a hell of a fight, and as more such models hit the streets—and especially as legacy carmakers gain critical electric vehicle experience—Tesla might find itself playing catch-up. Just not on this day. Loh said it best: "When you move from the Mach-E to the Model Y, you feel like you've taken a step forward into the future. The impact of that step is smaller thanks to the amazing job Ford's done, but there's no similar sense of wonder when you go from Model Y to Mach-E."

30 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Well said justins. I prefer Mustang Mach-E over Tesla Model Y because the Ford's exterior styling is so much better than the Tesla's. But for most consumers (who don't mind the ugly and/or boring styling that characterizes most crossover type vehicles), Model Y is a better choice overall as Motor Trend explained in its comparison. 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E vs. Tesla Model Y: The Next Normal (motortrend.com)

I remember watching a comparison review of the Mach E and the Model Y.  The Mach E was probably in its first year.  I don’t remember who did the review.  The conclusion was that the Y was a better electric vehicle, but the Mach E was a better vehicle.  The conclusion made sense.  

1 hour ago, CurtisH said:

I remember watching a comparison review of the Mach E and the Model Y.  The Mach E was probably in its first year.  I don’t remember who did the review.  The conclusion was that the Y was a better electric vehicle, but the Mach E was a better vehicle.  The conclusion made sense.  

That may have been Edmunds. In its comparison of Mustang Mach-E vs. Model Y vs. ID.4, it picked Mustang Mach-E as best overall.