Lightning production to be cut in half for 2024

23 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

A Detroit News article that isn't behind a paywall.  Production will be reduced to 1,600/week.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2023/12/11/ford-decreasing-f-150-lightning-production-dearborn/71884587007/

I caught the article from a facebook posting and cut the extra off, so it might have bypassed the paywall by having that 

24 minutes ago, Ontimedelivery said:

Just wondering why MAP needs to add a third shift for two vehicles that hardly ever sold 200,000 units combined? That was also in an environment with low interest rates. 

Because they were maxed out on 2 shifts when parts were available.  You don’t remember 12-18 month Bronco wait times?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ontimedelivery said:

I do remember there was a wait. Is there a wait anymore? It seems like there are plenty of them on dealer lots now. 

Not sure but Ranger production was definitely constrained by Bronco production.   Especially if they add more models and options.

• Like 2

Unfortunate, but not unexpected. Ford EVs were doing well when they appealed to early adopters, and when there was less competition, now, all the hardcore fans have one. It doesn't help that, to be blunt, the lightning has some good features, but it's lacking it that "I really have to have it" factor, it's a shoulder shrug of a vehicle that doesn't really captivate buyers beyond early adopters. 

Im gobsmacked.....yep..I went low brow sarcasm STOOPING...next you know well be able to advirtise deals on Mach E's...Im sorry, but this is just bad oversight that was writing on the wall and thye Decision makers are finally waking up...EV needs to be adressed with baby steps/ a dash of apprehension and consertive decison making...hype has a l.imited shelf life regardless of its form of propulsion or man ufacturer, and Fords not the only one that went overboard..VW is crying the blues right now as well...in fact barring Tesla, is anyone setting the world on fire numbers wise ? ( and Im not sure even Tesla ids lighting sales numbers on fire, so to an extent things are economy based ) ..not to mention profitability

42 minutes ago, Deanh said:

Im gobsmacked.....yep..I went low brow sarcasm STOOPING...next you know well be able to advirtise deals on Mach E's...Im sorry, but this is just bad oversight that was writing on the wall and thye Decision makers are finally waking up...EV needs to be adressed with baby steps/ a dash of apprehension and consertive decison making...hype has a l.imited shelf life regardless of its form of propulsion or man ufacturer, and Fords not the only one that went overboard..VW is crying the blues right now as well...in fact barring Tesla, is anyone setting the world on fire numbers wise ? ( and Im not sure even Tesla ids lighting sales numbers on fire, so to an extent things are economy based ) ..not to mention profitability

Depending on how the administration covers the Tax breaks for next year and how that affects Ford, I think it is smart they are pulling back on production because of that. Hopefully by the end of next year cells made in the USA will make their way into the Lightning and Mach E so they can get their tax breaks.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Depending on how the administration covers the Tax breaks for next year and how that affects Ford, I think it is smart they are pulling back on production because of that. Hopefully by the end of next year cells made in the USA will make their way into the Lightning and Mach E so they can get their tax breaks.

Totally agreed....but sales shouldnt be about Tax Breaks in my opinion,  ...undisguised bribery!~ lol...the future will be interesting...my fingers are crossed that lessons were learned...somewhat Ironic is the deluge of deliveries we have had of late, probab ly 90 % of whats coming off the Trucks is Lightnings.....all PROS....its like a day late dollar short...

Edited by Deanh

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

Totally agreed....but sales shouldnt be about Tax Breaks in my opinion,  ...undisguised bribery!~ lol...the future will be interesting...my fingers are crossed that lessons were learned...somewhat Ironic is the deluge of deliveries we have had of late, probab ly 90 % of whats coming off the Trucks is Lightnings.....all PROS....its like a day late dollar short...

Interesting that you mention the PRO.  There's a new Menards being built in my small town that is adjacent to an Electrify America charging station.  I saw one of the contractors working on the Menards building charging his Lightning PRO at one of the Electrify America stalls.

18 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Interesting that you mention the PRO.  There's a new Menards being built in my small town that is adjacent to an Electrify America charging station.  I saw one of the contractors working on the Menards building charging his Lightning PRO at one of the Electrify America stalls.

In the Meijer parking lot?  The Meijer store by me also has EV charging stations.

HRG

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

IMO they should have released the PROs first and worked up...instead the first units were 90k and upwards....I semi understand the logic, but the market base is larger the cheaper the units, get the cheaper ones out there first and then adress any issues...then release the $$$ units 

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

IMO they should have released the PROs first and worked up...instead the first units were 90k and upwards....I semi understand the logic, but the market base is larger the cheaper the units, get the cheaper ones out there first and then adress any issues...then release the $$$ units 

I thought they built to orders/reservations to begin with.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I thought they built to orders/reservations to begin with.

Apparently there was issues and people dumped their orders. Someone told me their local dealership had 25 on order and no one followed through on buying them. I'm guessing the pricing spikes didn't do much.

With that said, I have two catus grey Lightnings in my work parking lot now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

No, hopefully by the end of next year all the tax breaks are gone. They’re just a transfer from the American taxpayers to the auto makers. There a bad idea at any time,  it particularly so when we’re running annual deficits in the trillions. 

• Like 6

They need to adjust focus to more hybrids right now. Hybrids can go a long ways to improve MPG to meet the new CAFE standards. They also reduce emissions and are a good step forward during this transitional period. I’m not against BEVs, but I feel the transition is going to go MUCH slower than previously thought.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

I’m not against BEVs, but I feel the transition is going to go MUCH slower than previously thought.

I’ve been saying this for a while. The 2030 mandate is ridiculous, especially when supporting infrastructure is still in its infancy and we’re on the verge of 2024. 6 years is not as much time as people think. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I’ve been saying this for a while. The 2030 mandate is ridiculous, especially when supporting infrastructure is still in its infancy and we’re on the verge of 2024. 6 years is not as much time as people think. 

I think the mandate is ridiculous on another count. Right now, we're in a chicken vs egg period. the infrastructure is going to take time to build out to where we have chargers everywhere, just like cell service in its infancy. Antennas initially were only in the densest population centers and along the most travelled Interstates; exit an outstate freeway and you usually lost coverage. I think many small businesses are reluctant to invest what are large sums of money for them to install chargers, when there is not enough demand to make a profit currently, but I believe more people would buy a BEV if they were confident that they didn't have to stay in their range radius in order to charge at home.

I don't think you can't put mandates on supply and demand, it virtually guarantees imbalances.

• Like 6