2024 Ford Edge Production Will End In Late April

21 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

It would have but that’s not the reality and i can only hope that the BEV plan doesn’t turn out to be a disaster at OAC.

Borg at GMInsideNews says that they're going to have somewhat radical styling, so hopefully Ford has some contingency plans should that styling note resonate with buyers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

China Edge is already on C2.  It just needs a new top hat for NA.

All I’m saying is that currently the Edge isn’t part of the plan for North America by the looks of things. They cancelled it here I’ve heard nothing about them importing any Edge from China of any sort. 

1 hour ago, Dequindre said:

Borg at GMInsideNews says that they're going to have somewhat radical styling, so hopefully Ford has some contingency plans should that styling note resonate with buyers. 

I would assume Ford has plans in the works for boxy EVs as well in case this these areo driven designs don't work out. We'll have to pass judgement for ourselves when we see it revealed. People don't seem to like it, but futuristic styling tends to be hated when first revealed to people. I predict it's gonna be one of those "That's weird designs" that most people on the forums hate when they first see it. But later grow to appreciate it as time goes on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oacjay98 said:

All I’m saying is that currently the Edge isn’t part of the plan for North America by the looks of things. They cancelled it here I’ve heard nothing about them importing any Edge from China of any sort. 

Due to the 25% import duty on vehicles imported to the United States from China, I don't see Ford bringing over the more moderately-priced Edge. They could do it with the more pricey Nautilus (and they bumped up the MSRP a bit in the process, though the new Nautilus now comes with more things standard). My gut tells me that the import decision was more about keeping Lincoln from dropping down to a mere 3 products than about making a lot from new Nautilus sales here, but that's just a guess. I could easily see a the C2 Edge with a revised exterior coming in from Mexico, if they could somehow find the space. With the new UAW contract in place, building it in the U.S. might be a little more difficult than it would have been before, but I guess they could always push up the price some. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

I would assume Ford has plans in the works for boxy EVs as well in case this these areo driven designs don't work out. We'll have to pass judgement for ourselves when we see it revealed. People don't seem to like it, but futuristic styling tends to be hated when first revealed to people. I predict it's gonna be one of those "That's weird designs" that most people on the forums hate when they first see it. But later grow to appreciate it as time goes on. 

That's the big question. Will it be like the Taurus, which was radical in its design and reviewers initially panned it (but car buyers loved it), or will it be like the Aztec, which was universally disliked?

Edited by Gurgeh

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

That's the big question. Will it be like the Taurus, which was radical in its design and reviewers initially panned it (but car buyers loved it), or will it be like the Aztec, which was universally disliked?

That'll be the billion dollar question. That's an excellent comparison BTW. Based on how it's been described, I'm getting a 80s Tarus on stilts vibe, which wouldn't be particularly awful. 

2 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Due to the 25% import duty on vehicles imported to the United States from China, I don't see Ford bringing over the more moderately-priced Edge. They could do it with the more pricey Nautilus (and they bumped up the MSRP a bit in the process, though the new Nautilus now comes with more things standard). My gut tells me that the import decision was more about keeping Lincoln from dropping down to a mere 3 products than about making a lot from new Nautilus sales here, but that's just a guess. I could easily see a the C2 Edge with a revised exterior coming in from Mexico, if they could somehow find the space. With the new UAW contract in place, building it in the U.S. might be a little more difficult than it would have been before, but I guess they could always push up the price some. 

I agree that exporting the Nautilus was the plan because of the reasons you stated. The Bronco Sport Maverick plant is maxed out and the other plant is EV so I don’t know where in Mexico they would build that. Other people in this chart have said Louisville as an option. Is the 7 seat BEV not a replacement for the Edge? Or was the Mach-E supposed to be the successor? 

2 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I hope so!

7 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

5 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

I wonder if an Edge replacement could be built at Flat Rock?  Perhaps this is the mystery product that is awaiting approval per the UAW contract?  I know that work would have to be done on the paint shop and some of the conveyors. 

2 hours ago, Footballfan said:

I wonder if an Edge replacement could be built at Flat Rock?  Perhaps this is the mystery product that is awaiting approval per the UAW contract?  I know that work would have to be done on the paint shop and some of the conveyors. 

No

If the rumor I heard about that mystery product is true it’s going to make a few people around here happy. 

7 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

I agree that exporting the Nautilus was the plan because of the reasons you stated. The Bronco Sport Maverick plant is maxed out and the other plant is EV so I don’t know where in Mexico they would build that. Other people in this chart have said Louisville as an option. Is the 7 seat BEV not a replacement for the Edge? Or was the Mach-E supposed to be the successor? 

That's the thing. The Edge was a great widely-sold family car. I think the hope initially was that the EV transition was going to be very quick and the new BEVs could fill the slot that the Edge once did. But as things are shaking down, the transition won't be quick and in the meantime a lot of families who otherwise might have bought an Edge aren't going to looking at EVs to be their everyday pack-in-the-family vehicle for around town and on the road. They are still too expensive, not everyone has garages, and the infrastructure is still not built out enough to allow, for a lot of folks in the U.S., EVs to be a family's mainstay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

That's the thing. The Edge was a great widely-sold family car. I think the hope initially was that the EV transition was going to be very quick and the new BEVs could fill the slot that the Edge once did. But as things are shaking down, the transition won't be quick and in the meantime a lot of families who otherwise might have bought an Edge aren't going to looking at EVs to be their everyday pack-in-the-family vehicle for around town and on the road. They are still too expensive, not everyone has garages, and the infrastructure is still not built out enough to allow, for a lot of folks in the U.S., EVs to be a family's mainstay.

The Edge primary market (at least from what I saw at some point in time) was DINKs or other people who didn't have many kids to transport around. I know from my limited experience in what I've seen friends do, they normally get a bigger CUV like the Explorer or Grand Cherokee or deal with an Escape due to budget issues or just being thrifty. 

That is why I say that the Bronco and MME are kinda sorta a replacement for it because that demographic might be interested in vehicles like that.

Edited by silvrsvt

24 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The Edge primary market (at least from what I saw at some point in time) was DINKs or other people who didn't have many kids to transport around. I know from my limited experience in what I've seen friends do, they normally get a bigger CUV like the Explorer or Grand Cherokee or deal with an Escape due to budget issues or just being thrifty. 

That is why I say that the Bronco and MME are kinda sorta a replacement for it because that demographic might be interested in vehicles like that.

Nope.  Edges are great for families with 1 or 2 kids.  Plenty of room for 2 car seats and kid stuff in the back.  And it fits in smaller garages.  

20 minutes ago, akirby said:

Nope.  Edges are great for families with 1 or 2 kids.  Plenty of room for 2 car seats and kid stuff in the back.  And it fits in smaller garages.  

There’s space enough for 2 car seats and a booster seat in the middle. More than my Fusion at least. 

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

In the grand scheme of things is 10 inches or so (OL) between an say an Explorer vs an Edge going to make that much of a difference?

My house is about 30 years old and I fit all my cars I had from a 2013 SHO to a 2006 Mustang. The SHO was 202 inches long and the Mustang was about 189 or roughly the same length as an Edge. 

Standard size is 20x20, so even with a bigger car like an Explorer, you'd still have about 24 inches front to back. 

44 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

In the grand scheme of things is 10 inches or so (OL) between an say an Explorer vs an Edge going to make that much of a difference?

My house is about 30 years old and I fit all my cars I had from a 2013 SHO to a 2006 Mustang. The SHO was 202 inches long and the Mustang was about 189 or roughly the same length as an Edge. 

Standard size is 20x20, so even with a bigger car like an Explorer, you'd still have about 24 inches front to back. 

Agreed, but what about shelving, workbenches, garbage cans, lawn mowers/snow blowers?  I don't know of anyone with a "naked" garage.

HRG

45 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Except people have lots of other stuff in the garage.  We went from an expedition to an Edge and it was a big difference.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Agreed, but what about shelving, workbenches, garbage cans, lawn mowers/snow blowers?  I don't know of anyone with a "naked" garage.

HRG

45 minutes ago, akirby said:

Except people have lots of other stuff in the garage.  We went from an expedition to an Edge and it was a big difference.

I need to measure mine, but I have storage cabinets, rolling workbench/tool cabinet and some woodworking tools plus a fridge in mine and I fit my Bronco and Escape in it without an issue. Its a little tight in places (aka Passenger can't get into the Bronco) but it fits. Snowblower and other crap goes into the shed and gets wedged in between the Bronco and Escape when it threatens to snow out. 

But an Expedition is a bus vs an Edge too..its something like 210+ inches long. IMO I don't want to go any longer than 190~ inches on my cars...otherwise they feel too big to me. 

27 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I need to measure mine, but I have storage cabinets, rolling workbench/tool cabinet and some woodworking tools plus a fridge in mine and I fit my Bronco and Escape in it without an issue. Its a little tight in places (aka Passenger can't get into the Bronco) but it fits. Snowblower and other crap goes into the shed and gets wedged in between the Bronco and Escape when it threatens to snow out. 

But an Expedition is a bus vs an Edge too..its something like 210+ inches long. IMO I don't want to go any longer than 190~ inches on my cars...otherwise they feel too big to me. 

Agreed, width can be a problem too.  Here is my current garage, 19' 7" wide, 19' 5" from the door to the stub wall next to the stairs. My HOA mandates no sheds or outside storage of trash cans, so EVERYTHING has to be inside.  My Maverick fits fine on the left side (backed-in), my wife's Edge is on the right.

HRG

current garage.JPG