FORD MUSTANG V8 WILL PAY DIVIDENDS NOW THAT RIVALS ARE GONE

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

I never pull out because an oncoming car indicates with their turn signals that they're actually going to turn!

I have many stories that confirm why I don't trust turn signals, but my favorite was when I saw a half-ton truck hauling a 16' utility trailer signal for a left turn, move into the left turn lane, then cut across two lanes of traffic, making a right turn.

I'm pretty sure the folks who were coming down that highway off ramp were surprised to see him coming up it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Driver education is a joke.  We need driver training.  People don’t even know how to make a proper 90 degree turn at intersections.  

One local lady the other day actually said if you’re at an intersection and you have a green left turn arrow that does not mean you have the right of way.   Umm that is EXACTLY what it means.  No wonder we have so many crashes.

Y'all should see the drivers down here in South Florida - it's crazy.  Morons everywhere.

U-turns on reds is a new thing I've seen a TON of within the last few years.....I can't understand why they think they can go on a red light just because they feel like it.

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

U-turns on reds is a new thing I've seen a TON of within the last few years.....I can't understand why they think they can go on a red light just because they feel like it.

Classic I’ll do whatever I want whenever I want and screw everybody else.  Like the people who are in a line of 20 cars waiting to turn right and somebody jumps out of line and goes flying up just so they can bully their way back in line 10 spots closer.  Zero respect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

And as far as I know, the "Right Turn on Red" laws are after a stop, not just to slow down and continue. Defensive driving these days means just that. You can't trust other drivers to do what they've indicated. I never pull out because an oncoming car indicates with their turn signals that they're actually going to turn! And never just relying on traffic lights to move because of the large volume of drivers that run the lights. And seeing how many drivers are talking on their cell phones, as they're running red lights, because their conversations are more important. And in the majority of cases, they're not even aware that they were responsible for almost causing a serious accident.    

That's why I was so confused at the time, basically everyone else was telling me to stop, and here my driving instructor is telling me to be careless. The same driving instructor was basically mad that I wasn't redlining the hell out of the engine. They had a fleet of fusions, I believe they were around 2010/11s. I was talking to him about them sometime, he said they were reliable, and good cars for them, but I don't know what engine they had. Whatever it was, it was reliable, but pretty darn slow. 

It's against my nature to rev an engine hard, I feel bad when I push our explorer over 3k RPMs because I don't want to break it, I just like being gentle on cars. So with that in mind, I'm getting up to speed, but I'm accelerating more gradually/smoothly, while still trying to be safe. Well that annoyed him, he kept telling me to accelerate harder, and harder, until it gets to the point where I'm pushing like 5k RPMs everytime I'm accelerating.

That's Utah in a nutshell out here, they teach you to drive like nutcases. You see people out here accelerating aggressively, swerving, tailgating, speeding like you wouldn't believe, not letting people merge into their lane, running red lights, it just goes on and on. No-one out here can drive. 

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Y'all should see the drivers down here in South Florida - it's crazy.  Morons everywhere.

I saw that the other day in the Tampa area, the other thing I see a ton of here is people driving around with their lights off at night.  They are new cars too so no excuse.

18 hours ago, akirby said:

Classic I’ll do whatever I want whenever I want and screw everybody else.

A great way to discourage that kind of behavior is to enforce laws.  It was reported last night that Dallas PD issued arrest warrants for Rashee Rice and Knox associated with their street racing and subsequent crashes.  Assuming they are found guilty, much will depend on punishment.  Too little and it will just encourage more of the same.

15 hours ago, Andrew L said:

I saw that the other day in the Tampa area, the other thing I see a ton of here is people driving around with their lights off at night.  They are new cars too so no excuse.

I see that all the time - the problem is, most if not all cars now have the gauges on day and night, and have running lights (some of which use the headlights as the running lights), so they drive along with the gauges on, and see light coming from the front of their car and figure their lights are on.  Sometimes I flash my high beams at them, sometimes I leave it be.....half the time they don't know what I'm flashing them for anyway.

15 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

A great way to discourage that kind of behavior is to enforce laws.  It was reported last night that Dallas PD issued arrest warrants for Rashee Rice and Knox associated with their street racing and subsequent crashes.  Assuming they are found guilty, much will depend on punishment.  Too little and it will just encourage more of the same.

While I agree we need enforcement it won’t stop habitual violators.  We regularly enforce laws against murder including life in prison and even death but that doesn’t stop bad people from murdering others.

32 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I see that all the time - the problem is, most if not all cars now have the gauges on day and night, and have running lights (some of which use the headlights as the running lights), so they drive along with the gauges on, and see light coming from the front of their car and figure their lights are on.  Sometimes I flash my high beams at them, sometimes I leave it be.....half the time they don't know what I'm flashing them for anyway.

I’ve found flashing your lights only work about 20% of the time, maybe less.  These people are just clueless.

The solution is simple - mandate auto headlamps that default to on when you start the vehicle like my Nautilus.  And they turn on with wipers.  

DRLs make it worse and don’t really help much.  Just look at all the YouTube videos where people pull out in front of others in broad daylight without even looking.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I flash at them when ever I see it, one night I was behind a Kia with its lights off at night and I kept flashing at them eventually we got to a light I rolled down my window and it was a young girl with her mom and her mom started screaming at me saying "WHATS YOUR PROBLEM!" I calmly said "You are driving with your lights off!" to which the mom responded with "OH OH OH I AM SO SORRY!" and they flipped their lights on. 🙄

23 hours ago, ice-capades said:

There was a time years ago, late 1980's I believe, that I was able to attend a Ford Performance training course that was held at the Meadowlands complex in New Jersey. It was a half-day, hands-on course conducted by Bob Bondurant and his team with most of the training being one on one with a Bondurant instructor. The cars used were Mustang GT's and Thunderbird Turbo Coupes as part of the course involved anti-lock braking. The Mustang's didn't offer ABS at the time but was standard on the Thunderbird Turbo Coupes. All cars were automatics, tuned identically and driven in 1st gear to simulate a higher driving speed.

For the ABS portion, the cars were driven at speed onto a simulated skid pad which was a long, large heavy duty vinyl tarp bolted to the pavement and flooded with soapy water to simulate a slippery surface. You'd drive the Turbo Coupe onto the skid pad, hit the brakes hard and stop the car before reaching the end of the skid pad. You'd do the same with the Mustang GT, without ABS, and learn how to control the car and also stop before reaching the end of the skid pad. 

Other parts of the course included throttle steering, slalom course and other related driving techniques. I was in an Aerostar with Bob Bondurant driving a slalom course where he started off slow and kept increasing speed until he got to the point at maximum speed, getting a wheel off the pavement, and never hitting a cone. 

It was a fun day and very educational.  

I attended a gymkhana put on by Oldsmobile and A.J. Foyt back when the Cutlass International Series model was introduced. Very enlightening about the limits of traction and how you could induce drifting in a FWD car. Unforgettable day flogging $19,000 cars! They passed out some swag at the end including T-shirts; I still have mine.

Edited by Chrisgb

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

In my county, people regularly get stopped for "No Tail Lamps Displayed" that are driving with only the DRLs at night. Often results in other offenses like suspended or revoked licenses, OWI, etc.

And there is the opposite; people running their high beams 100% of the time. "I am a much safer driver than you. I know you can't see me, so I have my hi beams on in order to stand out from the commoners like you."

• Like 2

The annoying thing I've been experiencing in my area is people who have zero patience when a light turn greens. I'll be at a light with 2-3 cars in front of me, The light changes green and I hear someone honking from behind me when the people haven't even gotten their foot off their brakes to start going in front of me. I'm blaming the people who come from NYC for that, but we've always had immigration from that area, but its something that just started happening after COVID started. 

52 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The annoying thing I've been experiencing in my area is people who have zero patience when a light turn greens. I'll be at a light with 2-3 cars in front of me, The light changes green and I hear someone honking from behind me when the people haven't even gotten their foot off their brakes to start going in front of me. I'm blaming the people who come from NYC for that, but we've always had immigration from that area, but its something that just started happening after COVID started. 

Lol, clearly you haven't been to South Florida.....folks here honk before the light turns green lol.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I was screamed at about a week ago for not running a red light. I was waiting to make an unassisted left turn with a ton of stuff in the back of our maverick so I didn't want to accelerate aggressively to make it through the intersection. There was so much traffic that there was just no opening to turn while the light was green, and people in Utah run reds on a daily basis so I didn't trust turning once the light barely turned red. Not wanting to run the light apparently pissed the older gentleman behind me off. People have no patience behind the wheel. 

10 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I was screamed at about a week ago for not running a red light. I was waiting to make an unassisted left turn with a ton of stuff in the back of our maverick so I didn't want to accelerate aggressively to make it through the intersection. There was so much traffic that there was just no opening to turn while the light was green, and people in Utah run reds on a daily basis so I didn't trust turning once the light barely turned red. Not wanting to run the light apparently pissed the older gentleman behind me off. People have no patience behind the wheel. 

Around here, you can't go on green or you're going to intersect with someone who once saw a left turn signal be green. And it's not like the light was yellow while they were entering the intersection to make that left turn--the light had been red long enough for the oncoming traffic's light to be solidly green.

God forbid that you try to stop on a stale yellow or even a fresh red, because you might end up with an extra vehicle as a passenger...

I grew up in a college town, so I thought I'd seen some shady driving; turns out those college kids weren't a stitch on these loons.

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Sometimes I flash my high beams at them, sometimes I leave it be.....half the time they don't know what I'm flashing them for anyway.

22 hours ago, akirby said:

I’ve found flashing your lights only work about 20% of the time, maybe less. 

My daughter flashed her lights at someone a couple weeks ago because she said it looked like their lights were on bright and she couldn't see.  Turns out it was a cop.  Cost her $150.  Apparently, the cop was an ass about it too.  Expensive lesson for a college kid.

1 hour ago, fordmantpw said:

My daughter flashed her lights at someone a couple weeks ago because she said it looked like their lights were on bright and she couldn't see.  Turns out it was a cop.  Cost her $150.  Apparently, the cop was an ass about it too.  Expensive lesson for a college kid.

You have to be careful about that.  It can appear that other cars have brights on when it’s just the curve of the road.  If the fog lamps are on then brights can’t be on for factory lights at least.  That cop must have been having a bad day.

29 minutes ago, akirby said:

You have to be careful about that.  It can appear that other cars have brights on when it’s just the curve of the road.  If the fog lamps are on then brights can’t be on for factory lights at least.  That cop must have been having a bad day.

I get flashed a lot in my Super Duty, but I expect it since it's so tall and has big, bright, LEDs.  I figured the cop was having a bad day.  I asked my nephew, who is a highway patrolman, if he would give a ticket for that.  He said, well, I'd probably pull you over to let you know, but would only give you a ticket if you're being a jerk about it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

I get flashed a lot in my Super Duty, but I expect it since it's so tall and has big, bright, LEDs.  I figured the cop was having a bad day.  I asked my nephew, who is a highway patrolman, if he would give a ticket for that.  He said, well, I'd probably pull you over to let you know, but would only give you a ticket if you're being a jerk about it. 

I used to live in a small town when I was learning to drive and all the rookie police officers started off in my town before going to another.  You would get pulled over for the dumbest stuff sometimes and they would throw tickets at you left and right.  I remember one time I was driving to a friends house and another friend was following me cause he didn't know the way.  I made it through a light and he didn't so I pulled over to wait for him.  Cop saw me at the intersection and flipped his lights on and got up right behind me and asked me what I was doing.  I told him I was waiting for my friend who didn't make the light that he was following me.  Got an earful on how dangerous it is to pull over and wait for someone and how I really need to pull into a parking lot and bla bla bla.  Thankfully no ticket but a big lecture. 

This was a small country road intersection too not a busy one at all and I was pulled all the way off the road.

Edited by Andrew L

There was a time, May 1977, when I was driving from LA to Las Vegas to meet friends in the entertainment business that I worked with. I left LA early in the morning for the 300-mile drive to Las Vegas and kept seeing billboards for 24-hour Denny's restaurants and decided to stop for breakfast at one advertised near the Nevada border. I took the exit ramp which was long and found as I got closer that the restaurant was closed. As such, I continued back onto the highway towards Las Vegas. 

Little did I know that a CHP (California Highway Patrol) followed me and pulled me over after getting back on the Interstate to Las Vegas. I had my cruise control set, was driving in the right-hand lane and was not speeding as I had plenty of time to spare to make it to Vegas to meet friends. I was driving my new 1976 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with CT plates, and he stopped me because he thought I was "casing" the restaurant or any other convenient location. He was also suspicious because I was driving a new car with CT plates. I gave him my CT Driver's License, Registration, Insurance Card and Ice Capades identification but he still issued me a citation. Not fun considering the situation and I had little choice but to pay the citation fee. 

Not a driving story but in college I was asst mgr at a local furniture store.  The manager only had one set of keys and I had to close at night, so I would lock the front door with the key and throw them in the back of the delivery truck so the mgr could open the next morning.  One night I closed up at 8:00 pm, put up the keys and jumped in my 1975 cutlass.  But I couldn’t remember if I locked the back door so I drove around, jumped on the dock, checked the back door and jumped back in the car because it was cold.  Local cop sees me and thinks I’m breaking in.  I said I’m the asst mgr, the store just closed 5 mins ago and the keys are in the back of that truck.  He finally let me go and said stop acting so suspicious.

I got pulled over for speeding (45 in a 35 or something like that) on the main drag in the nearby city when out on a date.  The cop came up and said "Oh, looks like you're on a date.  You lost some cool points tonight, huh?"  My girlfriend chuckled a little, and when he walked back to his car, said she thought it was pretty funny.  I got off with a warning.  We've been married for over 25 years now (the girl and I, not the cop and I). :)

The only other time I got pulled over, I was doing 64 in a 50 (the speed just dropped and I didn't notice it).  The cops (yes, both of them) came up and harassed me about my license being expired, even though they were good for another 6 months.  I was in my early 20's, and they could tell I was nervous and they were laughing at my expense.  Another warning, so I was able to keep my clean driving record. 

come to So Cal and drive for a few....I TRY to set my cruise ( adaptive ) at 72- 73...and seriously surprized I dont have neck issues with eth Bronco hitting brakes, speeding up , slowing down, speeding up...its insane...I have the distance set atwhat leaves about 5 car lengths between me and the car in front...apparently thats just an invitation...I would guess 90% of the accidents here are rear enders due to tailgating....ridiculous...and watch....Im going to say with a few years part of the collision control on cars will be a minimum distance control based on speed....