EV buyers want SUVs and sedans, not minivans or trucks, survey says

silvrsvt

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/ev-buyers-want-suvs-and-sedans-not-minivans-or-trucks-survey-says/

The article is rather eye opening-with the biggest takeaway is that customers are woefully uninformed or just have no clue

The survey shows that car buyers looking for EVs are, on the whole, not well-informed. Twelve percent said they trust Toyota best when it comes to EVs, despite the fact that the Japanese automaker is years behind its rivals and has but a single, somewhat mediocre EV on sale today in 2024. Another 8 percent named Honda, which similarly is lagging the industry in terms of electrification.

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/ev-buyers-want-suvs-and-sedans-not-minivans-or-trucks-survey-says/

The article is rather eye opening-with the biggest takeaway is that customers are woefully uninformed or just have no clue

The survey shows that car buyers looking for EVs are, on the whole, not well-informed. Twelve percent said they trust Toyota best when it comes to EVs, despite the fact that the Japanese automaker is years behind its rivals and has but a single, somewhat mediocre EV on sale today in 2024. Another 8 percent named Honda, which similarly is lagging the industry in terms of electrification.

While the Edmunds survey may, repeat, may reflect potential EV buyers' opinions, the survey sample is extremely small statistically with only 300 potential EV buyers counted. As such, the degree of accuracy should be highly suspect, and my gut reaction is to consider this survey more as clickbait than an accurate assessment of potential EV buyers' opinions.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

While the Edmunds survey may, repeat, may reflect potential EV buyers' opinions, the survey sample is extremely small statistically with only 300 potential EV buyers counted. As such, the degree of accuracy should be highly suspect, and my gut reaction is to consider this survey more as clickbait than an accurate assessment of potential EV buyers' opinions.   

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/howcan-a-poll-of-only-100/

Some info on polling sizes and how data is extrapolated by using polling size 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Not surprised at all.  Edmunds has been clueless for 25 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Yes, but so long as the conclusions of the survey confirm someone's EV bias, they will become the basis of articles on EV sites and posts on this site.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Yes, but so long as the conclusions of the survey confirm someone's EV bias, they will become the basis of articles on EV sites and posts on this site.

Here is the thing-everyone has their biases and misinformation-I posted how/why a small sample size can be used to extrapolate data for this.

I posted this as informational....take all information with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/howcan-a-poll-of-only-100/

Some info on polling sizes and how data is extrapolated by using polling size 

That assumes 100% random participants and you don’t get that if you only survey people shopping at your website.  You also have to consider the market at that point in time.  EV trucks are far more expensive than sedans and SUVs.  I bet if EV trucks were $35K a LOT of buyers would be interested.

Not saying the conclusions are wrong necessarily just that there is too much bias in that survey to draw conclusions like EV buyers don’t want trucks.

• Like 1

I understand sedans and coupes generally aren't as profitable as crossovers and trucks. But with how successful the model 3 has been, I'm stunned Ford has no plans to use this new affordable EV platform to develop a model 3 rival. Especially considering ford claims this platform will be profitable even on 25k EVs. 

Edited by DeluxeStang

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I understand sedans and coupes generally aren't as profitable as crossovers and trucks. But with how successful the model 3 has been, I'm stunned Ford has no plans to use this new affordable EV platform to develop a model 3 rival. Especially considering ford claims this platform will be profitable even on 25k EVs. 

You can’t always translate Tesla sales to other brands.  

I think the Mach E is the right size, but its more a Mustang replacement for me than and Crossover cause it can't tow. Something more like my Escape hybrid (not plug in) that can tow something (small trailer) and has AWD would also be on my list. Prices have to be under 50K preferably under 40K. Price is what is stopping me now. Also waiting for better batteries. But huge expensive SUVs and Trucks are not what I want. I don't know about the EV market in general but I do think the market for $60K plus vehicles is limited in size no matter what the motivates the wheels.

14 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

A small sedan or crossover can be sold everywhere (high volume models), a full-size truck is mainly a North American thing. 
This is why many of Ford's competitors retain a full range of affordable small models that include cars and crossovers (ICE/hybrids/EVs). 

Ford still has one B-segment crossover, the Puma which will gain an EV version but sadly this is not a global model despite Ford having multiple plants in different continents. Another case of Ford's rivals selling global models while Ford is stuck with regional models.

PS: Just like their ICE counterparts, EV sedans and car-like crossovers are more aerodynamic, lighter and more efficient than tall SUVs, you can squeeze extra miles out of a smaller cheaper battery pack. 

Edited by AM222

14 hours ago, sullynd said:

I think the Rivian R2 is the sweet spot for BEV SUVs. I wish there was a Ford option - A BEV Everest (with a more modern body) would be pretty cool. 

There almost was a Ford version -- but it would have been a Lincoln.

25 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

There almost was a Ford version -- but it would have been a Lincoln.

No there wasn’t. There was supposed to be a Lincoln based on the R1 platform.  R2 is new. 

Back when Ford had a large investment in Rivian, and the Lincoln was planned I had hoped Rivian would use Ford as a “ghost kitchen” for service.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sullynd said:

No there wasn’t. There was supposed to be a Lincoln based on the R1 platform.  R2 is new. 

Back when Ford had a large investment in Rivian, and the Lincoln was planned I had hoped Rivian would use Ford as a “ghost kitchen” for service.

Ah my mistake.

On 4/28/2024 at 2:26 PM, sullynd said:

I think the Rivian R2 is the sweet spot for BEV SUVs. I wish there was a Ford option - A BEV Everest (with a more modern body) would be pretty cool. 

bring on a sub 30k electric Maverick.....BINGO!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Can Ford pull off a 30k EV maverick without compromising on long term quality? That's the big question. 

dont see why not, and based on Fords #1 selling vehicle being a Pickup, and the dfact Mavericks are selling like hot cakes..I think that contradicts somewhat the "buyers want electric sedans and SUVs..." fact is theres only 3 electric pickups on the market and they are all up scale which somewhat limits the take rate...

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

Even 40k would be fine. 

Maybe ..But that puts it within 10k or so of a Lightning PRO....but a smaller EV pickup I  think would sell relatively well...the PROS are our biggest Lightning movers....

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 5:42 AM, Deanh said:

dont see why not, and based on Fords #1 selling vehicle being a Pickup, and the dfact Mavericks are selling like hot cakes..I think that contradicts somewhat the "buyers want electric sedans and SUVs..." fact is theres only 3 electric pickups on the market and they are all up scale which somewhat limits the take rate...

Something tells me that was one of the goals with original E-Max BEV project 

but then it was turned into something completely different with higher expectations.

Im curious to see the technical details on the BEV Puma to see exactly what Ford did 

to go from ICE to BEV, maybe similar could be done with C2 architecture provided that

it could be altered correctly for efficiency and low costs..perhaps the clean sheet CE1

does all of that with far less complication….

Edited by jpd80