2008 Five Hundred Refresh Pics

Harley Lover

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A car in this class launching at this time should have standard projector headlights.

But other than that I'll wait till NAIAS to give judgement.

BMW's still do not have standard projectors ... the only competitor to 500 which has standard projectors is the Azera - Avalon, Impala, etc none have them.

Igor

this is the reason why ford is in trouble....we have heard since this vehicle was launched that it would be updated and many have predicted that this would be the second coming of this vehicle.....

now if you still believe that I feel sorry for you....they updated the taurus in quicker time with far more changes to the vehicle's personality.

honda does this type of updates every two years...

now the good news...this is the reason why mulally and fields are shaking the hell out of the company. these things will not continue to happen and products that will hit the streets in 2 years or so will not look old by the time they are released.

this is the reason why ford is in trouble....we have heard since this vehicle was launched that it would be updated and many have predicted that this would be the second coming of this vehicle.....

now if you still believe that I feel sorry for you....they updated the taurus in quicker time with far more changes to the vehicle's personality.

:redcard:

What are you talking about? The refresh of the 500 was done only 3 years after the car first intro..

The Taraus was updated in 1996 and then got a new front and rear end in 200, 4-5 years after its introduction.

I don't think anyone here said it would be the second coming of the 500, but it would go a long way to addressing problems that it had when it was launched.

honda does this type of updates every two years...

Right.

Both the Accord and TL were refreshed after 3 years.

And who said the redesigned 500 was going to be the second coming? It was said that the styling, performance and interior quality would be addressed, where you pulled this second coming from beats me.

Oh and regarding the projectors, I'd rather Ford just go ahead and offer HIDs on the Five-Hundred. For it to be the flagship car, it doesn't offer the content that one would expect.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

The Taurus updates, as I recall them:

1986: vehicle debuts.

1988: 3.8 engine option, offering more torque.

1989: SHO option.

1992: bland-as-hell facelift.

1996: horrid redesign, SHO loses all presonality despite gaining two cylinders.

1999: the nose and tail that could have been good in 1996 debut.

2006: an overdue mercy killing.

The Taurus updates, as I recall them:

1986: vehicle debuts.

1988: 3.8 engine option, offering more torque.

1989: SHO option.

1992: bland-as-hell facelift.

1996: horrid redesign, SHO loses all presonality despite gaining two cylinders.

1999: the nose and tail that could have been good in 1996 debut.

2006: an overdue mercy killing.

LOL, I was just on youtube the other day watching the commerical of the Taurus morph from the old to the new in 92 model. I had to watch it 3x's because I swear at some points it didn't look like some things changed.

Anyhow, I guess I am the only person on this planet that liked the 96 redesign.

I think it looks good, but is it me or do the wheels look like it would be a Lincoln product?

To me they seem to replicate the Expedition Limited wheel. Maybe it's a Five Hundred Limited? The biggest thing about this update is the 3.5 and the 6 speed tranny. That along with the new grille and AWD availability should make this car competitive in its class until Ford either replaces it and/or the Crown Vic with a RWD/AWD sedan.

honda does this type of updates every two years...???

Umm, the 2003-2005 Accords [3 whole model years] were identical. The 'two year' cycle at honda is the last two years of a generation, they make subtle changes. But no it is NOT "every" two years. It is 3 yr/2yr, etc.

And even at that, the mid gen changes are just taillight lenses. Like the 01-02 Accord vs the 1998-2000.

So, if one actually counts the time. This 500 update comes out sooner than Honda does, less than 3 years.

"Taurus was updated sooner" When?

1996-99 was virtually same for 4 years, and then the 2000-07 was a loooooong cycle. Engines were never changed from 96-07! Oh wait there was one change, the good Duratec was dropped!

Edited by 630land

Fords going to sell more of these next year on the strength of the AWD alone as more people figure out that the cost of gas isn't going to return to what it was just two summers ago.

The restyle is way to subjective to call based on the camo over that colour, but having driven a rental Impala and a few 500's, and judging by the few people I see in 500's they have a target market in 45+ Y/O ladies.The Ford has a more upscale feel to me, but the Impala feels much much larger for some reason. If that was the intent, fine, if not, they need to recast quick after changing the bait.

To what, I don't know, but I have an idea it will involve driving for those who would really rather not drive, and total isolation from all the young people who won't get off your lawn...

totally looks like a waste of time

Fixed.

What are you talking about? The refresh of the 500 was done only 3 years after the car first intro..

That would be "only three years" TOO LATE, judging by the latest sales charts.

honda does this type of updates every two years...???

Umm, the 2003-2005 Accords [3 whole model years] were identical. The 'two year' cycle at honda is the last two years of a generation, they make subtle changes. But no it is NOT "every" two years. It is 3 yr/2yr, etc.

And even at that, the mid gen changes are just taillight lenses. Like the 01-02 Accord vs the 1998-2000.

So, if one actually counts the time. This 500 update comes out sooner than Honda does, less than 3 years.

"Taurus was updated sooner" When?

1996-99 was virtually same for 4 years, and then the 2000-07 was a loooooong cycle. Engines were never changed from 96-07! Oh wait there was one change, the good Duratec was dropped!

It's different to wait three years to refresh a vehicle that's doing ok, and wait three years to SAVE a vehicle that has been a bad seller from the start, and has been generally ignored.

Like I said, this = three years too late. Try saying that about Honda or Toyota's moves every three years. The comparison only works against Ford.

The changes are coming so late into the game, there's nothing this will do to fix the 500's newest problem: "already irrelevant to most people".

The MKZzzz was refreshed after only one year to fix its problems. Got the D35 too plus a new grille.

Waiting for almost the fourth year to do something is a joke, no one cares anymore.

This will barely be above the 2005 Focus in terms of impact.

Edited by pcsario

I hope the camo is hiding something spectacular. If not, then it's gonna suck to see Chicago go to one shift when this thing flops......again.

I'll second that one.

The AWD and 3.5 will add a few more sales but not enough to turn it around. These cars are proboly not going to do any thing signifigant until they get new sheetmetal and a new roof line

Matthew