Explorer America Concept

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might sound dumb, but when I first saw the picture it reminded me a bit of the Bronco concept that had out a few yrs ago.

Yep, I saw that too. I really liked the 04 concept. I don't know but I still feel that concept has a future. This one, the front has the 'Airstream' concept I think. I like it better then the current Explorer front. The 02-05 is my favorite Explorer.

Edited by Hugh

Allegedly it will be here in 2010 ("We will have all of our models replaced or significantly updated by 2010"). It may be GRWD, or it may be D3. The media release is not specific. Shortly, we should have full press kit that provides better specs, and that will have the answer.
This is the part I'm wondering about, too. We have a five-seater crossover in the Edge. We have a doomed six-or-seven-seater crossover in the Taurus X. We're getting a seven-seater crossover in the Flex. Where is the Explorer supposed to fit in this logjam? That's why I thought it would remain body-on-frame and RWD/AWD as a lower volume serious off-roader, like SUVs used to be.

This is the part I'm wondering about, too. We have a five-seater crossover in the Edge. We have a doomed six-or-seven-seater crossover in the Taurus X. We're getting a seven-seater crossover in the Flex. Where is the Explorer supposed to fit in this logjam? That's why I thought it would remain body-on-frame and RWD/AWD as a lower volume serious off-roader, like SUVs used to be.

If you read the copy carefully, and see the rugged look of it, you will know that it will be a decent puller and will be off road capable. The TaurusX, Edge, and Flex are not seen as off road capable machines. The Explorer gets that duty. Knowing Ford, it will probably not be trail rated or anything, but something you can go off road when needed. I imagine the Bronco if it comes will be for more serious minded offroaders. The Edge and Flex are sporty family haulers and cargo haulers. The Explorer is more capable for towing and some off road activities. Not sure why this is difficult to see. Ford still needs a SUV in its lineup and it can be very popular again if it's fuel efficient.

I would hope this vehicle would be shown in production form at 2009 Auto Show and then be out within one year after that debut. I would also hope that Ford is far along in design process which appears to be the case after seeing Ford's news release about it. I really don't think people want truck based SUV's anymore unless it's Expedition sized. Mid sized SUV's IMO will be car based and hopefully Ford will be one of first to have one out that does pretty much everything truck based ones do, but with 25% better fuel mileage and car like ride.

FRD2008010579376_PV.jpg

I -love- the shapes on this thing. Bumper is not doable, but this does such a good job playing with Explorer design cues.

It has a fantastic look that is a modern update of the Explorer. I have had 4 Explorers since 1990. This could keep me in an Explorer. It looks like a concept that could translate in to a very nice production model. I hope Ford isn't just teasing with this one.

Makes me think this will be GRWD, not D3/CD3/CD4 (EUCD+CD3).

Idea may be to promote two 'paths':

Edge > Flex

Escape > Explorer

With two 'urban' and two 'outdoor' models, and yeah, I don't know what happens to the Taurus X in all that, but it does raise issues about CAP, or more specifically CAPacity.

It has a fantastic look that is a modern update of the Explorer. I have had 4 Explorers since 1990. This could keep me in an Explorer. It looks like a concept that could translate in to a very nice production model. I hope Ford isn't just teasing with this one.

I don't think so. Many on here including Igor have told us Ford will be doing unibody Explorer and this is it. Ford can't afford to just do concepts for show anymore. The present Explorer needs to be replaced soon and this is it. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford did Bronco type off roader too based upon this concept since it has Bronco design cues also. Kill two birds with one stone and save some money.

I don't think so. Many on here including Igor have told us Ford will be doing unibody Explorer and this is it. Ford can't afford to just do concepts for show anymore. The present Explorer needs to be replaced soon and this is it. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford did Bronco type off roader too based upon this concept since it has Bronco design cues also. Kill two birds with one stone and save some money.

I hope you are right. If so, Ford could have another grand slam hit. Maybe $6.13 per share will turn out to be the buy of the century. I would be thrilled to get 20-30% better economy than my V-6 Explorer and more power. 340hp in a lighter unibody Explorer would be a blast.

Make mine an Eddie Bauer. I could use some new luggage. :hysterical:

No question... this is a preview of a shortly upcoming production model. MY2011 at the absolute latest.

I really like this. Like many of you have said, it's a fantastic update to the Explorer, and is really the first all-new look since 2002. I'm sure I'll like it a lot more once it's cleaned up a bit.

The engine choices sound great. 275hp turbo I4 and 340hp turbo V6 should turn out great fuel economy, and the non-BOF should result in major weight savings.

Another key thing to consider, would be to look at the Ford Kuga for comparison. Then, it makes the Escape < Explorer step-up more sensible.

Edited by wescoent

This thing looks GREAT! I like it a lot. I think it's a perfect update to the Explorer. I was considering an Edge/MKX or a Flex, but now this thing makes me wanna wait another year or so and look at one of these.

With a nice interior (I'm thinking Expedition/Flex combo) and more production-friendly cues, I think this thing will be a home run, like the original Explorer was.

On another note, it appears Ford looked everywhere in it's empire when designing this vehicle. To me the dash looks very similar to the Range Rover (big one), it has EXPLORER (notice the green X like the concept?) written on the hood like all Land Rover models. It has a similar rotary type knob to the XF's gear shifter (although Explorer's is for the GPS navigation system). Also it looks like Mulally/Boeing had a little influence in there, IMO. The ceiling lights look like airplane air vents to me.

Overall, I think it's a great looking design. I can't wait to see: 1) this concept (hopefully it'll make it down here somehow) and 2) The production version.

Edited by rmc523

If you read the copy carefully, and see the rugged look of it, you will know that it will be a decent puller and will be off road capable. The TaurusX, Edge, and Flex are not seen as off road capable machines. The Explorer gets that duty. Knowing Ford, it will probably not be trail rated or anything, but something you can go off road when needed. I imagine the Bronco if it comes will be for more serious minded offroaders. The Edge and Flex are sporty family haulers and cargo haulers. The Explorer is more capable for towing and some off road activities. Not sure why this is difficult to see. Ford still needs a SUV in its lineup and it can be very popular again if it's fuel efficient.

If they could borrow some tech from Land Rover and make it at least as off-road capable as the LR2 that would be fanstastic.

(emphasis mine)

I'm not actually in the Explorer market, but it occurs to me that one thing Ford hasn't mentioned is the actual towing capacity. I don't think the Ecoboost engines are going to be able to maintain towing. Turbos are notoriously good at 'instantaneous' (sort of) torque, but not being able to sustain it. <speculation> Maybe Ford will have a diesel solution as well. </speculation>

IMHO, I don't see the Taurus X sticking around after this Explorer and Flex gets underway.

I think you may be right.

The Escape-Explorer-Flex line-up covers where the X resides, so Ford could consider saving the cost of developing a companion X model when they introduce the next Taurus. The loss of sales might be easily compensated by spending that money on other projects, like the B-size 4x4 which Ford has kept invisible.

The Explorer concept is a nice surprise.

FRD2008010579376_PV.jpg

IMHO, a production rear bumper shouldn't change the look too much. Essentially, a couple of extra seams in non-key visual areas.

It's what the front clip is going to look like, that's going to decide the Explorer's fate. Headlights? How to do the grill? Chrome? Paint? Chrome/Paint? Chrome/Color Chrome? Different grill for deluxe?

One thing I like is the window-dip, where the window-sill drops from the fender-line, that was thought up by the Italians in the late 60's. It's the anti-300 gun-port look. Bigger glass. Makes a nice contrast with the Explorer's styling cue, the side rear window/tailgate window, gives a 'dropped' aspect to the vehicle stance.

Well done, what a great job of modernizing a recognizable design!!!!

This concept just changed the way I feel about the future of the company. Of course, bringing the product to market in a similar form (obviously without the futuristic interior) is the hard part.

Edited by richardmayo