new taurus spotted , 11 pics

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still can't see much, but we can see confirms that the unmasked model is the final look of the Taurus (you can see some of the headlight details from the model on this prototype)

You can see much of the MKS in the design and proportions, maybe not the actual sheet metal. Much of the glass appears to have been carried over from the MKS.

Edited by BORG

I know you can't really tell what the car looks like with all that dang padding/camo on the car, but overall I like the basic flow of the car. From what you can see, I'm liking the grille and headlamps. Seems to be excessive padding all around (hood, doors & quarter panels), so what I maybe liking from these pics, may go away once the clothes come off.

Everyone is comparing this to the MKS, so are they same platform? Sister cars? If so, I haven't been totally impressed by the MKS design, so I'll reserve final judgement of the new Tauras until after all the padding/camo comes off.

I hope the new Taurus doesn't suffer from the "big trunk, but small hole" issue as the MKS.

They have to, its part of having a short rear deck. Its not just Ford that does it though, the 300 is definitely another one like that, but you can fit a great deal more than it seems through the hole.

I know you can't really tell what the car looks like with all that dang padding/camo on the car, but overall I like the basic flow of the car. From what you can see, I'm liking the grille and headlamps. Seems to be excessive padding all around (hood, doors & quarter panels), so what I maybe liking from these pics, may go away once the clothes come off.

Everyone is comparing this to the MKS, so are they same platform? Sister cars? If so, I haven't been totally impressed by the MKS design, so I'll reserve final judgement of the new Tauras until after all the padding/camo comes off.

I have seen the 10 Taurus and for the first time in my life I said wow! Thats a Tauras ?For the first time in my life I would love to have one it looks really good. If you like the looks of the MKS I think you will love this car. Just makes you mad that they didn't come out with this style in 05 as the five hundred.

From what I can make of the grille and the headlights, it does indeed look like that blurry cellphone pic back then. Meh I just hope it isn't too kinetic, that design will not age well.

Yup, one of the reasons I hate Kinetic design is that has no sophistication or design longevity, it's back to the 90's all over again. Keep that Mondeo away from here, we already had the 1996 Taurus!!! The new Taurus does look a little edgier and robust than the molten Mondeo that clearly inspired the new design. Ford seems to be transitioning from blocky and bold, to a softer less distinctive look. If you are going to do kinetic, you really have to go extreme or it will look like everything else in just a few years.

Yup, one of the reasons I hate Kinetic design is that has no sophistication or design longevity, it's back to the 90's all over again. Keep that Mondeo away from here, we already had the 1996 Taurus!!!

Is the 1996 Taurus a kinetic design? It was all about ovals. I don't think it had anything to do with kinetic design.

One thing I will give the 1996 Taurus - they are still all over the place 12 years later. Not that many other cars can say the same thing.

Yup, one of the reasons I hate Kinetic design is that has no sophistication or design longevity, it's back to the 90's all over again. Keep that Mondeo away from here, we already had the 1996 Taurus!!! The new Taurus does look a little edgier and robust than the molten Mondeo that clearly inspired the new design. Ford seems to be transitioning from blocky and bold, to a softer less distinctive look. If you are going to do kinetic, you really have to go extreme or it will look like everything else in just a few years.

Oh...please. What are you comparing this "kinetic design is that has no sophistication or design longevity" to? I seriously hope you are not comparing to FNA's "design language" (and I use that term loosely).

I mean...look at the "design language" of the MKTaurus. It has last gen TL headlights, a Korean rear end, and a generic mid section that just screams "I must blend".

I cannot believe that someone would take the bland, generic looking Fusion with it's goofy three-bar grille over the fantastic looking Mondeo where everything flows.

I thought Ford were moving to a common design language in a couple of years time.

By then Kinetic and Bold American will be no more so your point isn't really valid.

Sure the design change will be generational but to compare it to a 1996 football Taurus - PLEASE!!!

Oh...please. What are you comparing this "kinetic design is that has no sophistication or design longevity" to? I seriously hope you are not comparing to FNA's "design language" (and I use that term loosely).

I mean...look at the "design language" of the MKTaurus. It has last gen TL headlights, a Korean rear end, and a generic mid section that just screams "I must blend".

I cannot believe that someone would take the bland, generic looking Fusion with it's goofy three-bar grille over the fantastic looking Mondeo where everything flows.

Well, I see you haven't changed any in my absence.

Gotta love the design analysis of the '10 Taurus from one grainy photo and some heavily camouflaged prototype spy photos. :rolleyes:

Well, I see you haven't changed any in my absence.

Gotta love the design analysis of the '10 Taurus from one grainy photo and some heavily camouflaged prototype spy photos. :rolleyes:

But yet, you rail people for saying, based on what they saw in the same grainy photo, that it looks like a Sonata.

:rolleyes: indeed.

I was comparing it more to the Falcon's design, the Falcon's design is much blander but you won't throw up in front of one day. The Mondeo I am pretty sure will make you sick of how it looks after 2 weeks. The flare of the design is short-lived.

The 1996 Taurus/Sable design theme was called "Bio-Kinetic" at the time. I definitely see a connection between that and the new "Kinetic" design, notably in the bodyside "shoulders", forward-angled c-pillars, and upswept belt line. I think the 1996-99 Taurus has aged a lot better than other cars from that era. Also I think Kinetic design solves the biggest problem of Bio-Kinetic by adding some sharp edges and chrome trim to break up the roundness.

They have to, its part of having a short rear deck. Its not just Ford that does it though, the 300 is definitely another one like that, but you can fit a great deal more than it seems through the hole.

Well, they could make the c-pillars far back, so that from the side, it gave the short rear deck look, but then angle the glass to where you could have a reasonable trunk opening size.....see Lexus GS or I think the previous gen Maxima (and maybe the current one) had it too.

Ok, would you agree that the production model looks better than the concept? Also, Lincoln's design direction hadn't fully been realized yet....that didn't happen until the MKR debuted a year later.

One other thing I'd like to add:

I'm not sure if I ever posted this here, but I did a sketch of what I'd make a new Taurus look like a while back. I believe I did this at some point between when the old Taurus was discontinued and when the Five Hundred was renamed the Taurus. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly when I did it, b/c I didn't date it (stupid me), but I can tell you it was a while ago. Based on the "equipped w/ the Yamaha 4.4L V8" (the one found in the S80), it was probably sometime around when the new 07 S80 came out, or at least when it was announced it would recieve that engine as an option.

Anyways, after looking at the spy pics, I noticed that some of the design features I drew on my picture year or so ago appear eerily similar to what seems to be on the new Taurus. I'll let you guys compare for yourselves, but some things I noticed with these most recent pics were the front end slim headlights w/ a horizontal chrome bar over the grille, as well as the rear end with the lisence plate on the bumper, dual exhausts, and what appears to be a chrome strip running across the trunk lit.

post-28332-1222402505_thumb.jpg

I was comparing it more to the Falcon's design, the Falcon's design is much blander but you won't throw up in front of one day. The Mondeo I am pretty sure will make you sick of how it looks after 2 weeks. The flare of the design is short-lived.

Nope...every time I see the Mondeo, it looks like a very cohesive and "smart" car design.

Ok, would you agree that the production model looks better than the concept? Also, Lincoln's design direction hadn't fully been realized yet....that didn't happen until the MKR debuted a year later.

I don't recall what the concept looked like.