Ramifications for Ford of U.S.'s new Mileage Rules

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under CARB's rules, I believe Porsche is exempt.

Apparently the cost of compliance is too high for manufacturers of expensive cars.

why, because of lower production numbers?as for the other Germans.....oh my....what are the Nellie Gail Cougars going to drive to Pavillions to buy their Pedigree supply for Mr Biggles the Pomeranian?

Under CARB's rules, I believe Porsche is exempt.

Apparently the cost of compliance is too high for manufacturers of expensive cars.

Hmmm, not so sure about that - but even if true, it only buys them 3-4 years extra to comply and by that time the goal is even higher IIRC. Seem to remember the number 60,000 vehicle sales - which before was to Calif & 13 other states. I would assume that number would now be all 50 states. I think that is why Porsche was so intent on the VW deal to get included in their corporate fleet numbers.

Personally I think that number should be much lower - say like 1,500 to 2,500 total vehicles - that way the real small car companies get some time to meet the regs - Porsche certainly has the means, the resources and the time to meet the regs.

little tid-bit I have mentioned previously but is now obviously in full bloom.....with eco and the like...sure seems as if ford is WAYYYYY ahead of the curve....these new rules will DEVASTATE quite a few manufacturers.....with a little luck this will reflect in increased sales numbers for the Blue Oval...me happy.

screw this small car crap. I heard some bad news last weekend that some former neighbors of mine were involved in an accident in their 06 Civic. They were T-boned by a 98 Cadillac STS. None of them made it. Only one son that is away at college is left. The sad part is that they owned a 4 Runner too. I bet if they were in that car they would have made it. Bless them all. Great people.

If the Cad was off the street, and they were hit by a small car... Maybe they would have had a chance.

trust me...when rules as ludicrous as this become mandated manufacturers will have no choice...and sticker prices will take a huge hike.....

Obviously. Since Eco-boost is now almost a $5K option, when it has translated across all cars and in 90% of them, you can figure that alone has added in $1.5K to the price of a car. and consider about a 4% increase each year into a car. And the fact that Al has said he wants people to feel it's 'good' to pay $30K for an upscale fiesta, where will be the back lash? $80K F250' diesels? Don't scoff their almost $70K now.

As long as things need to be built and repaired in the world, there will be large vehicles in the form of pickup trucks and vans for as far into the future any of us can see. F-series will outsell Fiesta in the U.S. for years, if not decades. Care to make a wager?

Read the company wording carefully that Ford just put out on the Eco-Boost today. They counter the cost of EB by saying the potential savings of gas. So you have $4-5 / gallon. and you think urban workers will still but an F-series for commuting to work? Your Mustang will be $10K higher in 2016, I'm sure. The cheapest price rise will probably be about $7K by 2016.

I think it's totally going to change the game and put a stop to the love-affair with auto's. I see it happening now. People are questioning the rationality of having to purchase expensive cars for status and transportation. Fuel at 5/gal. $45K mustangs, $80K diesel F-series, $35K Fiesta's.. Mortage meltdown wiped out equity loans for car purchases now, so it's back to regular financing. The world has changed, we just don't see it yet.

Totally different beast when 2016 rolls around. Not a pretty site in my eye.

Obviously. Since Eco-boost is now almost a $5K option, when it has translated across all cars and in 90% of them, you can figure that alone has added in $1.5K to the price of a car. and consider about a 4% increase each year into a car. And the fact that Al has said he wants people to feel it's 'good' to pay $30K for an upscale fiesta, where will be the back lash? $80K F250' diesels? Don't scoff their almost $70K now.

Read the company wording carefully that Ford just put out on the Eco-Boost today. They counter the cost of EB by saying the potential savings of gas. So you have $4-5 / gallon. and you think urban workers will still but an F-series for commuting to work? Your Mustang will be $10K higher in 2016, I'm sure. The cheapest price rise will probably be about $7K by 2016.

I think it's totally going to change the game and put a stop to the love-affair with auto's. I see it happening now. People are questioning the rationality of having to purchase expensive cars for status and transportation. Fuel at 5/gal. $45K mustangs, $80K diesel F-series, $35K Fiesta's.. Mortage meltdown wiped out equity loans for car purchases now, so it's back to regular financing. The world has changed, we just don't see it yet.

Totally different beast when 2016 rolls around. Not a pretty site in my eye.

next up, 10 year financing.........

I would assume that number would now be all 50 states. I think that is why Porsche was so intent on the VW deal to get included in their corporate fleet numbers.

I doubt that the EPA will just put their letterhead on CARB's rules. CAFE presently makes no exceptions for Ferrari, Porsche, etc., and IMO, that's as it should be. The fines are only monetary, and those makes can certainly afford to pay them.

BTW I think that's an excellent point about Porsche merging with VW: not only because of pending requirements in the US, but abroad as well.

:headscratch:

The fuel economy requirements for light trucks will be much lower than the 42 mpg requirement for cars. The MKT is classified as a light truck. If I recall, that milage only needs to increase to an average of somewhere around 27 MPG.

So basically: If new CAFE kills the MKT, it'll also kill the F-150.

Is the MPG requirements the combined or the highway number?

I doubt that the EPA will just put their letterhead on CARB's rules. CAFE presently makes no exceptions for Ferrari, Porsche, etc., and IMO, that's as it should be. The fines are only monetary, and those makes can certainly afford to pay them.

BTW I think that's an excellent point about Porsche merging with VW: not only because of pending requirements in the US, but abroad as well.

I see this as a real barrier to the Chinese trying to enter the US market. You can copy all you want, but as for innovate, I've not seen them do that as of yet. I seriously doubt if any Chinese car will meet US pollution rules now.

Sup,

I understand the need for better mileage. I get the need for low pollution. Both are good things. I am a car enthusiast. I love driving. I love amateur racing. I those are good things. In the future if I have to drive around in some piece of crap, imported from Europe or China I will just stop buying cars. Using Ford's lineup, here is my personal conclusion:

Ka = Not even a car. Half a car with the wheels welded back on

Fiesta = Almost a car. Unless you are above average in height or weight

Focus = 8/10ths of a car. Still to small for someone of my height.

Fusion = Here I fit, but just barely. We are talking minimal headroom

Taurus = Not sure yet, but I have a SHO on order

Crown Vic = Completely outdated, but I fit great.

My point is, at my height smalls cars will never work. My 5 series Bim seems small for me when I get in and out especially. They do not make cars for people like me. Since I set very straight up, this makes even more of a problem. I would rather see more efficient engine design. Better use of available fuels. Small cars just do not work for me. If I bought a couple of Ka's i could probably use them for roller skates.

Skape

Obama also praised Ford -- the only domestic company that hasn't sought government loans.

"I just want to mention, I think I still have my Ford parked in Chicago. It's a Ford hybrid, it runs great, you guys should take a look," Obama said, quickly sensing the unease of the other nine automakers. "But there are also some outstanding hybrids -- and energy-independent cars represented up here, so I didn't want to just advertise for one."

From the Detroit News article....love it!!

http://detnews.com/article/20090519/AUTO01...irements+by++16

Is the MPG requirements the combined or the highway number?

Take the current combined rating * 1.316 to get the approximate CAFE rating.

Math:

combined ratings fell c. 10% with the '08 adjustment, to get that back your multiplication factor is 1.111 (1/.9)

the pre '08 number was revised downwards 15.4% in 1985. To get that back your multiplication factor is 1.185 (1/.844)

combine the two factors: 1.111 * 1.185 = 1.316 : a * b * c = a * (b * c)

And voila: to estimate the CAFE mileage, multiply the current combined mileage by 1.316.

Lots of car nuts are mad, but I remember the 70's oil days, when supposedly there would "never again be performance cars" and the 80's would be all slow small cars. Hmm, then 1987 5.0 came along...

Get over it, we cant keep sending $$ to unstable nations for oil, to feed 15 mpg hogs so we "feel great". Younger car fans embranced Electronic Fuel motors and turbos, so next generation will have to find a way to make more power for less gas. Or with other fuels.

Edited by 630land

Take the current combined rating * 1.316 to get the approximate CAFE rating.

Math:

combined ratings fell c. 10% with the '08 adjustment, to get that back your multiplication factor is 1.111 (1/.9)

the pre '08 number was revised downwards 15.4% in 1985. To get that back your multiplication factor is 1.185 (1/.844)

combine the two factors: 1.111 * 1.185 = 1.316 : a * b * c = a * (b * c)

And voila: to estimate the CAFE mileage, multiply the current combined mileage by 1.316.

There is no way that the new Taurus will help with the new rules then.

The Fusion (non- hyb) will hurt Ford too. The 3.5 will be about the same as the Taurus.

Three or maybe two cars will be what Ford will have to depend on to reach the CAFE car numbers.

How do you see it?

There is no way that the new Taurus will help with the new rules then.

The Fusion (non- hyb) will hurt Ford too. The 3.5 will be about the same as the Taurus.

Three or maybe two cars will be what Ford will have to depend on to reach the CAFE car numbers.

How do you see it?

Corporate Average Fuel Economy - the name should give you a hint.

It's the (harmonic) average of all sedans or all trucks as applicable.

The Fusion (non- hyb) will hurt Ford too.

The Fusion S exceeds the 2015 standards already, as does the Focus and as will the Fiesta. Quite likely, the Mercury compact is being introduced as a CAFE offset.

Also, bear in mind that none of Ford's mainline vehicles have mild hybrid functionality (e.g. start/stop assist & regen. braking), and that there's still a fair bit of 'low hanging fruit' (e.g. turbo 4s in midsizers).

However, you might be looking at a real stretch to get to 42CAFE MPG by 2020.

Of course there will be a different administration in place by 2016 at the latest.

Edited by RichardJensen