Next Gen Shelby GT500 to get....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, a Twin Turbo 5.0L V8 for the Shelby. Now that sounds awesome and possible:

3.7L V6 Standard, about 270hp

5.0L V8 for the GT at 400hp

5.0L TT for the Shelby at about 550hp(my guestimate)

The TT5.0 should be a pretty decent motor to go up against the now-back-on-schedule 550hp Z/28. The 5.0 will probably drop the weight of the GT500 to about 3700-3800 lbs. right about where the camaro is I believe. :lurk:

Testers with the 5.0 EB have been making 600 hp and 620 torque. :stirpot:

GM: " :censored: "

my thoughts eggs zackery....if they are making 365 from a STRANGLED 3.5 in the SHO, the SAME engine hitting 500 plus on the bench, that equates to 142 hp per litre.........5.0 142 = 710..........dial down for durabilty 600 EASY! now, time to find a transmission...

Its being reported at the mustang source this is inaccurate. The TT5.0 wont happen. They are a reliable source as the Pickup truck dot com guy but are Mustang specific so I would tend to take their word for it right now. Just passing it along and dont shoot the messenger.

Its being reported at the mustang source this is inaccurate. The TT5.0 wont happen. They are a reliable source as the Pickup truck dot com guy but are Mustang specific so I would tend to take their word for it right now. Just passing it along and dont shoot the messenger.

I'm not armed...THIS TIME.....snicker! ( never gets old )

interesting counter though...why would they continue building the 5.4 in ANY iteration when its being put to pasture and replaced by the 5.0?...my guess is it WILL happen....5.4 is going away....

interesting counter though...why would they continue building the 5.4 in ANY iteration when its being put to pasture and replaced by the 5.0?...my guess is it WILL happen....5.4 is going away....

Not sure what Ford is thinking here but since panther and E Series are until at least 2011,

I'm thinking that the 4.6 2v and 5.4 2v may stay a while unless they forward build and stockpile

like the v6 Cologne.

Not sure what Ford is thinking here but since panther and E Series are until at least 2011,

I'm thinking that the 4.6 2v and 5.4 2v may stay a while unless they forward build and stockpile

like the v6 Cologne.

irrespective, they will leak exciting news only to have us salivate for 3 years and end up actually getting the product with a severe case of cotton mouth......

Decisions, decisions... A 6.2 F150 Raptor SuperCrew or a 5.0TT F150 Harley SuperCrew?

Isn't it great, but at the same time frustrating, to have to make such decisions? Ford's making it hard to decide what to get with all of it's new vehicles.....I want one of each LOL.

my thoughts eggs zackery....if they are making 365 from a STRANGLED 3.5 in the SHO, the SAME engine hitting 500 plus on the bench, that equates to 142 hp per litre.........5.0 142 = 710..........dial down for durabilty 600 EASY! now, time to find a transmission...

Well, the current one has 540-hp too, so I'd think the new one will increase from that...

Well, I guess theoretically, they could also supercharge the 5.0.....but that wouldn't fit in with the EcoBoost strategy.

My only other thought is maybe they're keeping the 4.6/5.4 around until 2011 because think about it:

--with Panther, they're not gonna invest into that at all

--with Econoline, if it's being replaced by Transit (or whatever in the world is happening with it), would they invest to throw the 5.0 in it if they're completely switching the Econoline in a few short years anyway?

Edited by rmc523

I think for packaging, you'll find that the supercharge option will win over twin turbos

and Ford won't be interested in DI either. Making another 150 hp over 400 hp isn't that

monumental if you start with the right building blocks in the first place.

I doubt that you'll see any V8 Ecoboost in F trucks anytime soon,

I think the 6.7 diesel was more effective and desirable but still feel that

the 4.4 V8 diesel has more chance of production than an EB V8.

Just my 2 cents....

Edited by jpd80

I would hope the GT500 gets a hypo version of the Coyote engine or maybe even the 6.2L Boss. I think most people consider the GT500 as the top of the line Mustang (duh). Why would they continue using the old tech 5.4L (aluminum block or not) in the GT500 when the lowly GT gets the new 5.0L? Seems bass ackwards to me.

I think for packaging, you'll find that the supercharge option will win over twin turbos

and Ford won't be interested in DI either. Making another 150 hp over 400 hp isn't that

monumental if you start with the right building blocks in the first place.

Just my 2 cents....

On the other hand, turbos usually return better fuel economy than superchargers. With new F/E regs most likely on the way, Ford is probably going with the TTV8 architecture so they can tune to get the fuel mileage they need.

...maybe.

I don't understand why the Mustang still sports a solid rear axle.

Is Ford using a SRA is the same reason that Corvettes still use a pushrod V8: terrified of innovation in their "icon" model?

Or are Mustang buyers more interested in budget straight-line performance than handling & ride-quality, and view the SRA as a feature?

Or do the accountants get their way every year?

FYI:

When you consider the vast majority of the Mustangs that will be sold to the American car buying public will be the wimpy V-6s, not GTs or Cobras, and won't be going to the drag strip, why the SRA?

I don't understand why the Mustang still sports a solid rear axle.

Is Ford using a SRA is the same reason that Corvettes still use a pushrod V8: terrified of innovation in their "icon" model?

Or are Mustang buyers more interested in budget straight-line performance than handling & ride-quality, and view the SRA as a feature?

Or do the accountants get their way every year?

FYI:

When you consider the vast majority of the Mustangs that will be sold to the American car buying public will be the wimpy V-6s, not GTs or Cobras, and won't be going to the drag strip, why the SRA?

and you were doing SOOOO well this week!

as was mentioned before.... the Mustang handles better than the IRS equipped Camaro and Challenger. I dont see the problem.

God DAMMIT, not you.

I hope you're not talking about me.....

and you were doing SOOOO well this week!

as was mentioned before.... the Mustang handles better than the IRS equipped Camaro and Challenger. I dont see the problem.

He was too...

No one ever said the Shelby would be EcoBoost.

But did anyone ever say it wouldn't be? And maybe they call it TwinForce in a GT500?

Supposedly, the TT5.0 is ready, if necessary.

Oh, for he who does not know the weights of cars.

Current Mustang GT: 3550-3650

2011 Mustang GT: 3550-3650 (rumored)

V6 Camaro: 3700

Camaro SS: 3820

2010 GT500: 3920

2011 GT500: 3720 (rumored)

2011/12 Camaro Z28: 4100 (rumored)

To Ml.............. please. Lets see, we could get an IRS and be overweight, like the Camaro and Challenger, handle worse, and cost more.

Oh goody. :rolleyes:

Edited by Extreme4x4

When you consider the vast majority of the Mustangs that will be sold to the American car buying public will be the wimpy V-6s, not GTs or Cobras, and won't be driven at 11/10ths on mountain roads, why pine for IRS?