crown vic not dead??

Had a fleet guy in here a minute ago dropping off 9 new SD trucks. Brought the keys in the office etc. So I asked any news on the CV replacement? He immediately said, "yeah, the CV". "Pardon"? I said. There is such a commotion about it being discontinued that it is about 70% it will be carried on. So far even small places like Halifax PD have ordered 20 "extra" CV's to be stored in case they are discontinued.

So, if the CV IS discontinued, what do you hear will be the replacement? "Taurus" Not a regular taurus but a police duty variant and the PD package will include suspension and drivetrain upgrades. Oh you mean like the 3.5ecoboost? "AAAHHH, NO!"

He could be full of shit but he is normally pretty good with stuff like this. Had a bunch of other anecdotal stuff regarding diesels "fords already tested them and got 4 and 6cyl diesels better than standards for particulates but, not enough demand so far. Said he personally drove a fusion turbo diesel which was quiet and moved quite lively. Said ford is standing on the sidelines with hydrogen waiting for the infrastucture to be set up, said everything they make could be changed over in two years.

Like I said, he could be full of shit but seemed pretty switched on when talking about this stuff. I made a few digs at toyota and he just smiled, wouldn't engage at all, no comment.

Around here the CV is looked upon like a tank, maybe it has a bigger following than some give it credit for?

THANKS for posting this, goinbroke2!!!

&

hmm...

makes me think that intro'ing the 'replacement' BEFORE the CV & St.Thomas are history, leaves them room to

- delay The END

- boost interim CV sales

- get the GRwdP ready

AND

- look like heroes for bowing to customer demands

Edited by 2b2

Had a fleet guy in here a minute ago dropping off 9 new SD trucks. Brought the keys in the office etc. So I asked any news on the CV replacement? He immediately said, "yeah, the CV". "Pardon"? I said. There is such a commotion about it being discontinued that it is about 70% it will be carried on. So far even small places like Halifax PD have ordered 20 "extra" CV's to be stored in case they are discontinued.

So, if the CV IS discontinued, what do you hear will be the replacement? "Taurus" Not a regular taurus but a police duty variant and the PD package will include suspension and drivetrain upgrades. Oh you mean like the 3.5ecoboost? "AAAHHH, NO!"

He could be full of shit but he is normally pretty good with stuff like this. Had a bunch of other anecdotal stuff regarding diesels "fords already tested them and got 4 and 6cyl diesels better than standards for particulates but, not enough demand so far. Said he personally drove a fusion turbo diesel which was quiet and moved quite lively. Said ford is standing on the sidelines with hydrogen waiting for the infrastucture to be set up, said everything they make could be changed over in two years.

Like I said, he could be full of shit but seemed pretty switched on when talking about this stuff. I made a few digs at toyota and he just smiled, wouldn't engage at all, no comment.

Around here the CV is looked upon like a tank, maybe it has a bigger following than some give it credit for?

The biggest tragedy with the Crown Victoria is that Ford did not evolve it incrementally like they do with the Falcon, you don't need complete updates every five years, just rolling changes to keep it looking fresh.

What would be so wrong with sharing power trains and top hat components with the unitary Falcon while keeping the BOF underpinnings...

Edited by jpd80

The loyal following he mentioned was the cops. Not just local cops but RCMP are raising a stink about the charger. We've got 3 chargers coming so in a while I'll report how they're holding up. Another conversation with one of the buyers said the rcmp are pissed because chrysler undercut the CV but everything is an option. The three we have coming are "police spec" but don't have all the required equipment for police duty. No I'm not talking silent partner and stuff, I mean the extra tranny cooler/ps cooler etc. The obvious question then, what does "police spec" mean to a charger?

I know here the RCMP and the OPP in Ontario especially northern Ontario are using 2wd Tahoe's , the feed back I have come across from officers is mixed some love the Tahoe (more room easy to get prisoners in etc) Other prefer the Vic but what has been unanimous is that the 2WD Tahoe's are not as good in the snow and on ice as the Vic is.

Departments are putting more miles on the Tahoe's before disposal though. Most Vic's were sold off at about 160-180 Km (100 to 110k Miles) The Tahoe's are staying in service till about 240km (150K miles) before being disposed of. And are fetching much higher transaction prices upon disposal compared to the Vic.

But the Tahoe's are experiencing more problems than the Vic's not running gear or suspension problems but trim and ancillary items (heaters, seats, wipers etc) . Problems are problems and if it is a gaffed heater motor or a grenaded tranny down time is down time and counts against the availability ratio. Swapping out some these ancillary items can take as long or longer than major suspension or drive line repairs and cost almost as much. So far the Tahoe's do not match the Vic's availability ratio. Well nothing has as of yet.

I think as the CV nears the end the cry's are going to get louder. I predict STAP is going to get swamped with last minute orders from PD's trying to stock up.

Matthew

This whole thing about the CV reminds me of all of the arguements inside Ford back in the mid 20s. Henry and a contingent believed that the Model T was the most durable car around, and it had been perfected enough to make it easy to produve and very robust. Others wanted to update the line. Well, Ford held onto the T, even past the point where it was hurting the company. Tha Model A, its replacement, was put off for too long.

Ford cannot afford a single purpose car with a limited market, that shares about nothing with anything else in the lineup, produced in a vastly underutilized facility. Sad, but very true.

• Like 1

I'm a huge Lamborghini fan, but have never owned a single one. The dream that one day I might keeps me going.

That's fine, but should Lamborghini care about your opinion of their vehicles just because you hope to be able to buy one someday?

That's thing with the "mafia". They expect Ford to listen to their wishes when they do nothing in return for Ford.

Edited by NickF1011

This whole thing about the CV reminds me of all of the arguements inside Ford back in the mid 20s. Henry and a contingent believed that the Model T was the most durable car around, and it had been perfected enough to make it easy to produve and very robust. Others wanted to update the line. Well, Ford held onto the T, even past the point where it was hurting the company. Tha Model A, its replacement, was put off for too long.

That's a really good analogy.

Maybe the guy was just wishful thinking. Hope they have a solid replacement when they do replace it.

How many people are dreaming of owning a Crown Vic? I mean other than Matt P71.

I dream of owning a Vic. Most think I'm crazy... I am 31 and have wanted to own a Vic for years and years. I suppose that when that day comes it will be a used one. I also have a thing for the Lincoln Mark VIII... pre 97 because I didn't like how it looked after the refresh. So add one more crazy person who dreams of owning a Vic.... For now I am enjoying my Fusion.

I'm prepared to wait and see what Ford will be offering PDs before accusing them of ignoring a major fleet sector. Who knows, a 300hp/280 lb ft V6 in a 4,000 lb FWD vehicle that can re use a whole lot of the Crown Victoria's police equipment might be the very thing PDs really want to keep their budgets in line. If Ford could pull off something like that, I'd say they would be red hot favorites for new contracts....

Edited by jpd80

He could be full of shit

I'm thinking he is.

All reports have STAP being closed and the Panther being retired. One fleet salesdude can't know something that countless Blue Oval spies do not.

If there was any chance of the CV staying around for a few more years, the information would have already hit this forum.

I dream of owning a Vic.

I thought the Vic would be a great car for me, see all these posts by people who love them. I'm a big n' tall guy, thought hey, full size car, what's not to love. Got one as a rental once on a business trip. Man did I find it uncomfortable. Could not find a single seating position that worked for me.

• Like 1

I dream of owning a Vic. Most think I'm crazy... I am 31 and have wanted to own a Vic for years and years. I suppose that when that day comes it will be a used one. I also have a thing for the Lincoln Mark VIII... pre 97 because I didn't like how it looked after the refresh. So add one more crazy person who dreams of owning a Vic.... For now I am enjoying my Fusion.

It's great to have dreams that are within reach. My dream car is my Avatar and hibernating in my garage.

• Like 1

It's great to have dreams that are within reach. My dream car is my Avatar and hibernating in my garage.

Me too.....but my dream car is not in my garage right now...it is down at the restoration shop getting a through going over...it will, however, have something in common with a Crown Victoria(other than full frame, rear drive, V8)....a 2001 CV Sport gave her 16" rims up for my beloved Montego MX...it will wear them with pride