LaHood May Consider Banning Cell Phones In Cars

Excerpt from article appearing in Political Daily today:

"Can you hear him now? Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said he would consider seeking a complete ban on cell phone use in cars, including for drivers who make hands-free calls.

In an interview with Bloomberg, LaHood said he doesn't believe current restrictions go far enough and that his concerns include navigation and entertainment systems such as GM's OnStar and Ford's Sync.

He said his department will conduct more studies on distracted driving before he pushes for tighter regulations.

"I don't want people talking on phones, having them up to their ear or texting while they're driving," LaHood told Bloomberg. "We need a lot better research on other distractions."

In my view, these are ominous signs for in car electronic distractions. I'm sure Ford and others will be cranking up lobbying efforts to protect their class exclusive electronic driving distractions.

"I don't want people talking on phones, having them up to their ear or texting while they're driving," LaHood told Bloomberg. "We need a lot better research on other distractions." ..

Other Distractions (for Government to research)

Children in car

My wife as passenger

Children fighting in car

My wife as passenger when upset with me

Annoying commercials on the radio

Pretty pedestrians

Music that requires immediate station change at all peril

Pretty pedestrians smiling at me

Children throwing "whatever" in the car

Wife as passenger in car, upset that pedestrian is smiling at me

• Like 1

This is an old story....if we don't police ourselves better, then the government will do it for us no matter who runs Congress or the White House. Some days out there driving it seems like every other vehicle has driver yapping on cell phone. Worse, many put their smart phones in cupholder and constantly look down at it while driving. Even pedestrians in cross walks with heads down looking at smart phone are danger and I notice lots of cyclists yapping on cell phones also while cycling in traffic. Crazy. Distracted driving is fast becoming the number one cause of collisions and the cell/smart phone is the number one reason. All the other distractions have been around for years, and it's only been the last decade or so that distracted driving has become the major cause of collisions.

The only way to stop it is to put electronic device in new vehicles that makes all communication equipement nonfunctional when gear selector is put into D. There really is no other way. Enforcement won't work. Laws on books making it illegal won't work. I know MADD wants to put interlock devices in new vehicles that will prevent anyone with alcohol in their system from starting their vehicle. They know laws and enforcment have not stopped DUI driving much. Again, the few ruin it for the majority. With cell phone use while driving, unfortunately it's not a few. It's rampant and getting worse.

• Like 1

Children in car

My wife as passenger

Children fighting in car

Pretty pedestrians

:hysterical:

For me, the latter item includes EVERY Sonny & Cher song except "The Beat Goes On"

Children in car

My wife as passenger

Children fighting in car

Pretty pedestrians

:hysterical: :hysterical: POTW!

You forgot: ANYTIME two women get into a car (sorry ladies but you know it's true!)

• Like 1

<br>Excerpt from article appearing in Political Daily today:<br><br>"Can you hear him now? Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said he would consider seeking a complete ban on cell phone use in cars, including for drivers who make hands-free calls. <br><br>In an interview with Bloomberg, LaHood said he doesn't believe current restrictions go far enough and that his concerns include navigation and entertainment systems such as GM's OnStar and Ford's Sync.<br><br>He said his department will conduct more studies on distracted driving before he pushes for tighter regulations.<br><br>"I don't want people talking on phones, having them up to their ear or texting while they're driving," LaHood told Bloomberg. "We need a lot better research on other distractions."<br><br>In my view, these are ominous signs for in car electronic distractions. I'm sure Ford and others will be cranking up lobbying efforts to protect their class exclusive electronic driving distractions.<br>
<br><br><div>I'm not at all saying that cell phones and technology are not distracting, but I personally think more regulation and outlawing cell phones/tech in cars will only lead to people trying to hide their use of a cell phone or whatever, causing them to be even more distracted than they would have been.  People won't stop doing it just because the government says not to.<br><br>

</div>

I've heard cell talking - hands-free or not - has been estimated to impair your driving as much as a BAC of 0.04...

Now, that's not insignificant... but it's also a level of impairment which we as a nation have come to accept as reasonable - half of the maximum reasonable amount. So why should that level of impairment suddenly be unacceptable when it comes from cell phones?

• Like 1

<br><BR><div>I'm not at all saying that cell phones and technology are not distracting, but I personally think more regulation and outlawing cell phones/tech in cars will only lead to people trying to hide their use of a cell phone or whatever, causing them to be even more distracted than they would have been.  People won't stop doing it just because the government says not to.<br><br>

</div>

That's already happened, some girl was texting (secretly?) and got into an accident

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/texting-may-be-to-blame-in-yarmouth-accident-that-seriously-injures-teen_2010-10-07.html

State Trooper Larry Rose said he found a partial text message on Jolie's cell phone. Rose said Jolie was driving a 1995 BMW south when it crossed over the median, entered the northbound lane and slid sideways into a Ford Escape driven by Robert Rusnak, 50, of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.

http://www.lockergnome.com/reflections/2010/09/29/drivers-who-try-to-hide-their-texting-habits-may-be-having-more-accidents/

The results are extremely disappointing since it was hoped that by banning texting while driving would reduce accidents. Maybe there is another solution to the problem. When an accident happens and it is suspected that a driver was texting or talking on a call phone, a fine should be instituted for the offense. A police officer could check the drivers phone to see when it was last sued to text or talk on. Of course this would require a search warrant.

I'm not sure why it would require a search warrant, especially if the phone was in view.

If people were freebasing Coke while they were driving, certainly a distracting behavior, yet these people won't stop doing it just because the government says not to, either. They are both ADDICTIONS! What makes an otherwise intelligent person text while driving? Is it a case of inflated self worth? I routinely see people texting, oblivious to their surroundings.

Personally I don't see any need for texting. It isn't a legal "right" when walking, driving, sitting or standing still. Eliminate it from all the carriers....problem solved. It isn't like getting rid of drugs........this would be easy.

Edited by timmm55
  • Like 2

That's already happened, some girl was texting (secretly?) and got into an accident

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/texting-may-be-to-blame-in-yarmouth-accident-that-seriously-injures-teen_2010-10-07.html

http://www.lockergnome.com/reflections/2010/09/29/drivers-who-try-to-hide-their-texting-habits-may-be-having-more-accidents/

I'm not sure why it would require a search warrant, especially if the phone was in view.

If people were freebasing Coke while they were driving, certainly a distracting behavior, yet these people won't stop doing it just because the government says not to, either. They are both ADDICTIONS! What makes an otherwise intelligent person text while driving? Is it a case of inflated self worth? I routinely see people texting, oblivious to their surroundings.

Personally I don't see any need for texting. It isn't a legal "right" when walking, driving, sitting or standing still. Eliminate it from all the carriers....problem solved. It isn't like getting rid of drugs........this would be easy.

People seem to forget that if you are using cell phone while driving and hit and hurt someone or kill them, your cell phone records will be used as evidence in court. Your internet provider will supply those records to the court and if time of collision and time of using the phone are identical, you have a big problem. Hard to fight that in court. Kind of like fighting your BAC result if facing a DUI. A driver is taking a big chance out there if using a phone or texting while driving. Your reaction time is much slower, emotions of communication can make it worse, it's poor judgement like drinking and driving, and a cell phone communication requires concentration that should be going to driviing. It's getting scarier out there, especially as pedestrian or cyclist. While auto fatalities are down, pedestrian/cyclist fatalities are up.

People seem to forget that if you are using cell phone while driving and hit and hurt someone or kill them, your cell phone records will be used as evidence in court. Your internet provider will supply those records to the court and if time of collision and time of using the phone are identical, you have a big problem. Hard to fight that in court. Kind of like fighting your BAC result if facing a DUI. A driver is taking a big chance out there if using a phone or texting while driving. Your reaction time is much slower, emotions of communication can make it worse, it's poor judgment like drinking and driving, and a cell phone communication requires concentration that should be going to driving. It's getting scarier out there, especially as pedestrian or cyclist. While auto fatalities are down, pedestrian/cyclist fatalities are up.

Good post.

And talking to a passenger is less distracting because the driver can pause a conversation and complete a traffic interaction before completing a discussion, that doesn't normally happen with phone calls/texting which demands more concentration.

The key may be fear of civil action if you're negligent behind the wheel, phone records would be compelling in that instance...offenders could lose much more than they can imagine.

Edited by jpd80

A cell phone texting ban makes lots of sense, if actually obeyed. My daughter's friend used to text while driving all the time, until she totaled her new Camry. She was OK, didn't hurt anyone, and had to ride the bus from then on. So it was a good lesson for her and her friends. But it could have been worse, and often is.

I think Ford has the right approach. When the car is moving, they lock out highly distracting screens on Nav and phone systems. The SYNC and MyTouch systems keep hands on the wheel, eyes on the road, in all the added technology.

In some sense, Ford's technology might help reduce distractions, because it locks out the texting on the bluetooth coupled phone, and encourages drivers to use more driver integrated buttons and voice control.

As for driver focus, talking on the phone, or anyone else in the car, can be distracting. Myself, if I talk with someone on the phone while driving, I tell them to hold on and ignore them completely, even turning off the phone volume, while I focus on a complex task like getting the freeway or doing a left turn in traffic. I ask them to repeat afterward when I less stressed in an even traffic flow. Driving is my primary responsibilty.

OTOH, a driver can distracted just by their own thinking on other matters. IMO, it's about the same as a cell phone distraction. Not full alert, but not like a DUI either.

My previous humor was also trying to make a point that there's many distractions in driving. They're part of life. You can't legislate all of them away either, no matter how many laws you make. IMO, Ford is doing a good job to reduce and properly manage distractions, not add to them, with their technology. Ultimately, it's the driver's responsibility.

Texting bans don’t work -- actually they INCREASE accidents

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr092810.html

It is also proven the more people in the car the more chance for an accident as well are we going to ban passengers in the car as well? What about eating and putting on makeup and shaving? We better ban drive thru restaurants (well you'll already be paying more tax to use them)

Edited by jasonj80

You forgot: ANYTIME two women get into a car Subaru(sorry "ladies" but you know it's true!)

Fixed it for you... :hysterical:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about joihan777's post. Good fix. Definitely a distraction. Should be a law against that too. I'll help with the Government Research. ;)

Edited by LarryQW