Ford Unveils 2013 Taurus

'wholly influenced by the Audi A6'

Not really a fan of an exec that admits that or a company that does that.

Ford influenced by Audi again? Not so bad, remember the Fox platform Fairmont.

The next Taurus is a damn good looking car inside and out in my opinion.

Meh, looks like the '13 Malibu from the front. :stirpot:

All kidding aside, I like this a lot. When does the next Fusion show up now? My Flex lease is up next July and this or the Fusion will be a nice replacement if gas isn't $7 a gallon by then.

If I remember correctly, the next Fusion generation will be introduced for the 2013 Model Year and finally be based on the next generation Mondeo at which point the Fusion/Mondeo will be Ford's next global platform/model line.

If I remember correctly, the next Fusion generation will be introduced for the 2013 Model Year and finally be based on the next generation Mondeo at which point the Fusion/Mondeo will be Ford's next global platform/model line.

I think it's more the case that the Fusion and Mondeo are being co-developed on a new platform rather than the Fusion being based on the Mondeo. Small but important difference.

I think it's more the case that the Fusion and Mondeo are being co-developed on a new platform rather than the Fusion being based on the Mondeo. Small but important difference.

Its not a big of change as you think...Think the C170 to C1 type changes. The CD4 is going to be heavily based on the current EUCD and not the current Fusion platform.

Does the current Mondeo have the "sporty" feel of the CD3 platform - the "mazdaness" if you will? Control blade IRS? Does it have AWD capabilities? I think I've read that is very similar to the C1 platform, or was based on it, something like that?? Just curious, as I know it does get some praise as being more fun to drive than some of the other competitors in magazine/online reviews (the fusion, that is). Also noticed that the newest mazda6 seems to have lost some of that fun factor, and isn't it based on EUCD for the NA version? Or am I mixing them up?

Its not a big of change as you think...Think the C170 to C1 type changes. The CD4 is going to be heavily based on the current EUCD and not the current Fusion platform.

I didn't say it was a huge change nor did I imply whether the new platform was closer to eucd or cd3. The point was they created a new platform and are engineering both the Fusion and Mondeo at the same time. They did not simply take a Mondeo and make a Fusion out of it.

But will need upgrades for CD3 developed hybrid and possibly V6 and AWD systems although

John McElroy did manage to get Barb Zamardich to say that Ford would be going the same way

as GM and Hyundai who will be offering mid sized cars without V6. Although she didn't come

out and say it directly, her response was Ford pushing the power and economy of Ecoboost I-4

substituting the need for a having a V6 under the hood.......I think this mean no V6 Fusion...

Over 80% of Fusions sold are the mundane naturally aspirated 2.5 I-4 FWD, what if that engine was

replaced by a base 2.5 DI or 2.0 DI I-4 from the Focus and a 2.0 EB I-4 engine used instead of the V6,

that would surely increase Ford's manufacturing efficiency while improving perceived fuel economy.

Edited by jpd80

Ford influenced by Audi again?

The '86 Taurus resembled nothing so much as an '84 Tempo with cleaner window trim, extra front parking lights and no grille.

The interior ergonomics were borrowed mostly from Mercedes. Something which Ford execs acknowledged at the time.

The myth of the Audi 5000's influence is easily disproved by concept and production work from Ford's own studios that predated the 5000, demonstrating the clear development of the Taurus independent of that vehicle.

Edited by RichardJensen

But will need upgrades for CD3 developed hybrid and possibly V6 and AWD systems although

John McElroy did manage to get Barb Zamardich to say that Ford would be going the same way

as GM and Hyundai who will be offering mid sized cars without V6. Although she didn't come

out and say it directly, her response was Ford pushing the power and economy of Ecoboost I-4

substituting the need for a having a V6 under the hood.......I think this mean no V6 Fusion...

Don't rule out the possibility of something outside the current options. A new EB I-5 or EB I-6 are possible, if less likely.

While I like seeing new product, won't releasing pics of the 2013 hurt sales of the 2012 Taurus? It that isn't even being built yet! How long til the 2013 is on sale?

IMO, I think Ford should have waited until LA Auto Show in November. Now, the 2012 Taui will be 'old' and 'last years models'.

And what about the Fusion? Any changes soon?

While I like seeing new product, won't releasing pics of the 2013 hurt sales of the 2012 Taurus? It that isn't even being built yet! How long til the 2013 is on sale?

IMO, I think Ford should have waited until LA Auto Show in November. Now, the 2012 Taui will be 'old' and 'last years models'.

And what about the Fusion? Any changes soon?

That argument is made often, yet automakers continue to unveil new models well in advance of their release date. It doesn't seem to hurt things too much. It will be out in early 2012, so you're talking 7-8 months lead time.

New Fusion is due for MY2014.

About the car itself: I do like the facelift. Great to see LED tails! Hope they make their way across the rest of the Ford lineup soon. I was hoping to see a little more variety of design to the interior though. It looks good, but the familiar look of the corporate steering wheel and common center stack in every midsize-and-up vehicle is starting to become a bit much.

...And what about the Fusion? Any changes soon?
...New Fusion is due for MY2014...

the CD4 MKZ is supposed to come out early 2012cy/2013my

the CD4 Taurus is supposed to come out sometime 2012cy/2013my

why would the CD4 Fusion wait an extra year?

even: HOW could it? are they supposed to be splitting production of the MKZ & Fusion? I haven't heard that before.

Edited by 2b2

the CD4 MKZ is supposed to come out early 2012cy/2013my

the CD4 Taurus is supposed to come out sometime 2012cy/2013my

why would the CD4 Fusion wait an extra year?

even: HOW could it? are they supposed to be splitting production of the MKZ & Fusion? I haven't heard that before.

:headscratch:

The 2013 Taurus is obviously still D3.

The MKZ will be redesigned at the same time as the Fusion. But, who said anything about the MKZ in this thread?

So it looks like D3/4 is being kept to the SUVs, while CD4 will be the passenger vehicles? Maybe get a weight loss out of it ? One advantage of seeing the Taurus go into CD4 might be selling it in other markets. Maybe better efficient use of interior space as well, doesnt have the best sightlines with a high belt line and cowl.

The D3 has had chronic packaging issues since the platform debuted. I'm not sure what happened with this program and why the sedans achieved such peculiar interior proportions. It always seemed the D3 chassis was primarily aimed at SUVs and the sedans were squeezed on as a bonus. So many compromises were made to get that platform to work across many lines and it's probably time correct that strategy.

Personally I like the robust proportions and tall seating position of the D3 vehicles...but it's apparently turning people off, especially when they looked that peculiar and ugly upon introduction. I really felt like i was driving a fishbowl when driving the Montego/500, lots of glass and visibility, which is completely the opposite feeling in the new Taurus/MKS (personally, I would never want to drive something that looked like a 500 around, no matter how great visibility was!)

Edited by BORG

NOW I finally saw what the new Taurus grill reminds me of, Dodge Durango. The shape is identical, cept Dodge has that cross on the grill, but look at the opening/shape of the grill and thats what the new Taurus looks like. I noticed tis at a traffic light.