2013 Flex Revealed

I like it. Explorer is there to snag traditional buyers, so Flex can push the envelope a little further stylistically.

Will it help sales? I don't know, but I applaud them foe the effort. Looks good.

To me, it looks more sophisticated and refined than the original with a bit more attitude too!

• Like 1

The more I look at it the more it grows on me, but I almost wish there was either a blue oval on the bar instead of having FLEX on the sheet metal above. I think it would be really hot if "F O R D" was stamped into the bar with a slim, modern font similar to the Flex font.

As for the rear, i think I still prefer the current model. I was surprised to see the off-center Ford logo.

Looks like Ford wants to focus on it's individuality the same way that a Mustang or Thunderbird would not have the blue oval on the front end. Maybe they are trying to lure high end prospective Range Rover buyers with the blocky F L E X letters and make them forget it's a Ford. However, I am reminded more of the nose of an 1980 Econoline Van...

ford_econoline_wagon_black_1980.jpg

That's pretty good!

I agree - I like it with the Blue Oval, and am not a fan of F L E X on the hood. If anything it should have said F O R D.

I'll have to be careful with my Flex, if anything happens to it I would not replace it with a 2013 Flex. (At least not without a nose job).

With the restyled grille, you can do (or say) just about anything....get your hairdryers out and remove the logo from the hood and run down to the local Auto Zone for some applique letters in chrome to spell out what you really want to say ....

Or simply get a Ford Oval and place it in the middle, but if it were me, I would probably "off center" it to match the rear oval...

I approve! I still wouldn't buy one, but they did a fantastic job with that fascia. The bum could have been done better, they needed new lamps. New side mirrors with integrated turn signals would have been nice as well. The interior needed more work than this and I dislike that faux wood across the dash.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

I like it! Except for the rear...I think the Ford oval should have stayed where it was on the back. The front overall just looks cleaner and more streamlined. It's not enough to make me trade the '09 in for a new one though...maybe in a few years...

EDIT: I just noticed it has 'S' on the gear indicator. Does the EB have that? Our '09 (non-EB) doesn't have that, so wondering if that is new for '13, or if all EB's have that.

EDIT2: I just read the press release and the 'S' is new:

The SelectShift advanced gearbox offers the driver a choice between fully automatic operation and manual control. With SelectShift with EcoBoost, paddle shifters are integrated into the steering wheel spokes. Intuitive to operate, a squeeze back on either paddle will deliver an upshift, while a gentle push forward on either paddle will induce a matched-rev downshift. SelectShift won't second-guess the driver with an override shift; manual control is truly manually controlled. The thumb shift is new for 2013 with the standard engine models.

Looks like Ford wants to focus on it's individuality the same way that a Mustang or Thunderbird would not have the blue oval on the front end. Maybe they are trying to lure high end prospective Range Rover buyers with the blocky F L E X letters and make them forget it's a Ford.

I agree. The Flex has a lot of conquest buyers, and I think helping them "forget" it's a Ford may draw more in. And then, when someone asks "what is that thing?". They will be shocked when told it's a Ford, and make them want to check out Ford even more.

Edited by fordmantpw

At first glance I hated it. I've warmed up to it in the last half hour or so. Definitively looks better then before.

I agree. The Flex has a lot of conquest buyers, and I think helping them "forget" it's a Ford may draw more in. And then, when someone asks "what is that thing?". They will be shocked when told it's a Ford, and make them want to check out Ford even more.

Olds tried removing the badges from their cars for that very same reason as well (spoiler: It didn't work). In this case, they seem to be doing the opposite of the industry norm and stressing the branding of the model rather then the company. That strategy works for the Mustang (admittedly though, the Mustang is pretty much it's own marketing machine. The galloping horse is probably just as recognizable as the Ford logo). I hope it works. It certainly makes for a clean front end.

A few observations:

I'm surprised the 2.0 EB wasn't offered as an engine option.

Since the Flex has the slowest sales volume of all Ford branded vehicles, not surprised that Ford is upping the features list big time to glean more profit from each sale. Might as well.

Not a fan of the FLEX name, so putting it so brazenly on front hood like they did with Titanium models only doesn't

give anyone a choice now. This is now only vehicle in fleet that gets its nameplate so prominently displayed. I prefer the more subtle approach on rear deck lid in smaller script. Almost as bad as new Dodge Charger with rear LED light bar all the way across that resembles commerical neon sign at night.

Okay, I'll be the first one to say "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN!". This won't increase sales one iota. Was nice knowin' ya, Flex.

Tell us how you really feel! :hysterical:

I doubt it is going to increase sales much, unless they actually advertise it for once! Nobody knows WTH a Flex is! We've had ours for 3 years and 45k miles, and we still have people ask us what it is. Crazy!

• Like 1