RIP Carroll Shelby

http://jalopnik.com/...dium=socialflow

Carroll Shelby, Automotive Legend, Dead At 89

Before reality TV, and even still to a very large degree now, the best known name associated with performance cars to the average person is Carroll Shelby, and with good reason. Shelby has been considered a legend in the field for decades, and his influence is still strong to this day. He died today at the age of 89, as a result of complications from an illness.

Edited by Intrepidatious

A number of years ago I had ordered a Franklin Mint autographed Shelby Mustang model. After several months it never arrived because the cars didn't get signed. I cancelled the order. I do wish I had something authentic with his signature on it. I knew way back then he was on borrowed time.

Bless you Carroll Shelby. Thank you!

• Like 1

Carroll Shelby arguably did more to promote and develop Ford's performance brand and image over a longer period of time than any other single person. His vision and spirit will be truly missed. Carroll Shelby and the cars that bear his name are legendary and rightfully so. RIP.

• Like 1

My condolences to Carroll's family and friends - the Ford and automotive community's thoughts are with you in this most difficult time.

R.I.P Mr Shelby, you are loved by all, will never be forgotten and above all, your legacy will live on forever with the venomous fruits of your labour burning rubber for many years to come!

Shelby is an absolute legend, God must of thrown away the mould when he made Shelby he was an absolute genius. From the golden years at Ford, when cars were fun and Ford won, l thought those days would never end at the time.

Le Mans will be in tears this year, he will be very sadly missed this side of the pond.

Still there will be some sweet engine sounds on the nightshift up there. The world just lost an absolute legend.

• Like 1

I've been working for Carroll Shelby / Shelby American since 2007 and got the opportunity to converse with him on many occassions.

In the auto industry, there are people who love cars and than there are people who understand the auto industry - Carroll had both attributes, which is difficult to find.

When he attended staff meetings at Shelby, even at 89, he asked a lot of product development questions ranging from GT500s to Camaros to Ecoboost applications. He loved the idea of the next product and how to continually make it better and better. He truly didn't want to rest on any lauarals.

Of the many things that inspired me was his passion for the United States and his belief that the U.S. could rival the best.

Edited by robertlane
  • Like 3