Fiat 500 Outsells Fiesta

Go figure. The 500 is a tiny, little thing with very few dealerships compared to Ford, and Fiat 500 outsells Fiesta by about 400 units for month. Not sure what Ford is doing with Fiesta anymore and why it has failed to gain sales traction after so much promise only a couple years ago. I always liked the Fiesta, but like the Flex, I would be disinclined to buy one until I know Ford plans to support it and stand behind it. I know there is a MCE coming which I've seen parked at LAP already, but not that impressed until we see what powerplants go in it. Still would like to see a B-Max.

Go figure. The 500 is a tiny, little thing with very few dealerships compared to Ford, and Fiat 500 outsells Fiesta by about 400 units for month. Not sure what Ford is doing with Fiesta anymore and why it has failed to gain sales traction after so much promise only a couple years ago. I always liked the Fiesta, but like the Flex, I would be disinclined to buy one until I know Ford plans to support it and stand behind it. I know there is a MCE coming which I've seen parked at LAP already, but not that impressed until we see what powerplants go in it. Still would like to see a B-Max.

we do ok with the car, but find people levitate more towards the slightly larger Focus...doesnt help when the Focus has better programs on it either....I wouldnt read too much into the 500 outselling it, I would guess part of the reason is what i have stated. that said, the Fiesta DOES need a few more ponies...the 1.0 eco would help a little , but the car needs another 20 or so in the HP dept. They shoul also have the backset foldin flat, perhaps ala the older Escape, remove headrests etc....aside from that im happy as hell....

we do ok with the car, but find people levitate more towards the slightly larger Focus...doesnt help when the Focus has better programs on it either....I wouldnt read too much into the 500 outselling it, I would guess part of the reason is what i have stated. that said, the Fiesta DOES need a few more ponies...the 1.0 eco would help a little , but the car needs another 20 or so in the HP dept. They shoul also have the backset foldin flat, perhaps ala the older Escape, remove headrests etc....aside from that im happy as hell....

With super high gas prices most of month, you would think Fiesta sales would have been better. And the Fiesta hatch is far better looking than Sonic IMO. Yes, a Fiesta Sport model with about 25 more hp would help a little. And a B-Max that would basically be a Fiesta wagon. Fiesta sales definitley need some shoring up to show that Ford stands strongly behind it before sales drop even more. I don't think a mild MCE will work just as it didn't with Flex or MKS. You have to wonder how Ford is going to maintain any decent sales figures on MKS until redesigned model comes out in future. Fiesta at low end and MKS at high end are both in fight for their lives. If gas prices go down for rest of year, the fight for Fiesta sales won't get easier. Maybe Ford needs to do a Fiesta hybrid that gets 59mpg combined for under $22,000.

• Like 1

With super high gas prices most of month, you would think Fiesta sales would have been better.

If you look at Ford's Web site, the Fiesta is listed at 29/40 and the Focus is listed at 28/40 (I didn't delve into the models to see which variants get what mileage). That's basically a wash on the mileage issue, so the issue likely comes down to "can I swing the extra $$$ for the Focus." The Fiesta's position as the inexpensive Ford probably helps Focus sales quite a bit as the Focus becomes the "step up" car instead of the "this is all I can afford" car.

As mentioned.....the Focus! Also the Focus is made in the US, that certainly matters to some.

Also here in SoCal there is a LOT of advertising for the 500. And then there's the national TV ads. There was a decent ad campaign for the Fiesta's intro, but that's died down after the Focus.

^ oh boy, I love that commercial. She's one of the hottest woman I have ever seen......ProBowler, you tube that commercial (fiat, abarth) and it's a wowzer.

That aside, I know car rental places are renting the 500's. I wonder how much more/less vs. the Fiesta goes to rentals?.... oh hell, here's the full comercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMjavRu4v5c

Edited by Hydro
  • Like 1

Ha, I was just about to post it for you all and when I quoted yours I saw it had been edited into your post.

Yep, I was trying to type my response, but her voice and all kinds of nastiness kept popping into my head (yes, both) and I had to find it... :headspin:

Edited by Hydro

With super high gas prices most of month, you would think Fiesta sales would have been better.

hello, Deanh just said focus has very attractive leasing at the moment and the fuel economy is not that different..

Focus actually makes a lot of sense to those buyers, so they come in looking at Fiesta and walk out with more expensive Focus.

• Like 1

The Fiat 500 has a specific cute car neo-retro styling that is unique and alluring to buyers. I don't think buyers see Fiesta as a novel aspirational boutique car that attracts the same people that buy Mini's and Fiats. The Fiesta looks too much like the Focus and buyers are seeing an advantage buying the Focus over the Fiesta for more room with the same mileage and not a great stretch away in price. Plus you don't look like you are driving a clown car when you opt for the Focus over the Fiesta.

Edited by StangBang
  • Like 1

Looking at year to date sales as of the end of August, the Fiesta is in the top 4 in its segment. Why the panic?

Seems to me the Fiesta averages are what Ford predicted when they first launched their first B segment vehicle.

I remember lots of the media predicting Ford would not be able to move a B segment size car in the USA, at least not without lots of cash on the hood.

I wonder if they count "returns"

My co worker bought a Fiat and returned it 2 weeks later.

She gave up a Charger to get it, and then got a new better gas Charger instead of the Fiat.

Fiat is trendy - new to the market... so it attract a lot of attention. This too shall pass.

• Like 1

:shrug:

I still say Fiesta's numbers are fine. It's not a market leader, but it's far from the bottom also. Ford is likely pretty comfortable with the volume it is doing as well. After all, the US wasn't the primary market for it in the first place. Any sales it gets here are probably just gravy.

I still say Fiesta's numbers are fine. It's not a market leader, but it's far from the bottom also.

That's really not the question, anyway--the question is how profitable they are. If Ford is making a decent profit, I doubt they really care where they are in the sales charts.