New Silverado, Sierra unveiled

PREMiERdrum

GM offers three revamped engines: a 262-horsepower, 4.3-liter V-6 that GM says can tow a substantial trailer; a 325-horsepower, 5.3-liter V-8 that will get better mileage than the 22 mpg the current model gets on highways; and a 6.2-liter V-8 with 376 horsepower."

Those HP numbers have got to be low.

GM's estimating 17MPG combined, which is either below average or awful, depending on the engine that they're referring to.

And that barely matches the 2013 F150.

Like i said above, it will probably sell OK but not to the full potential a refreshed Silverado should...

GMC-Sierra_2014_photo_1a.jpg

GMC-Sierra_2014_photo_1b.jpg

Edited by jpd80

I'm no big fan of GM and probably have more reason to dislike them than most on here far removed from SE MI, but there is real talent there, always has been, and I sure hope they prosper just as much as I do for Ford.

It's not the engineering's talent that is in question here, it's the diversion of funding away from Silverado for years that's appalling.

Left to their own devices, I'm sure GM's engineers would have suggested many of these upgrades years ago to match the current F150.

Surely, you would agree that if GM had been steadily upgrading Silverado for the past three years, things would be very different now..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

So wait...is this a new truck or just a refresh? Those comparison picture a couple posts up make it seem like they are pointing out what has been changed?

It's somewhere in between. GM source says all sheetmetal and interior work are new, but frame is 98% carryover.

Also, details 101 GM...

IMG_1576.jpg

You know, wouldn't it make more sense to have the covers fold down so that they are not in the way of the switches when these ports are in use ?

If I recall, the current ones fold down.

As pointed out by the ironically-named "PositiveAboutGM" user on GMI.

Source for those numbers?

Hoser768 is correct - GM has yet to release power and torque numbers for the EcoTec3 family engines, and the quoted horsepower numbers happen to match the displacement of each engine upon converting liters to cubic inches.

Additionally, GM's current port injection 5.3L engine peaks at 320 hp and the 6.2L at 403 hp.

The source for the numbers may be a journalist who isn't particularly skilled in either reading or arithmetic.

Edited by aneekr

It's not the engineering's talent that is in question here, it's the diversion of funding away from Silverado for years that's appalling.

Left to their own devices, I'm sure GM's engineers would have suggested many of these upgrades years ago to match the current F150.

Surely, you would agree that if GM had been steadily upgrading Silverado for the past three years, things would be very different now..

When you mention "diversion of funding" from these trucks, I assume you are referring to the new Cadillac ATS (which could not have been cheap to develop)? Is GM still trying to do too much, or is it unable to prioritize how it spends its development dollars?

If so, I guess we now know why the F-series is so good, and why there isn't a line of rear-wheel-drive Lincolns on unique platforms.

If so, I guess we now know why the F-series is so good, and why there isn't a line of rear-wheel-drive Lincolns on unique platforms.

:rolleyes:

Yep, Ford chooses to put its money where it knows it can make money in return instead of throwing it at a black hole. Don't turn this topic into a "wah, no RWD or unique platformed Lincolns" thread too.

• Like 2

When you mention "diversion of funding" from these trucks, I assume you are referring to the new Cadillac ATS (which could not have been cheap to develop)? Is GM still trying to do too much, or is it unable to prioritize how it spends its development dollars?

This is the refresh Silverado needed two years ago to keep the refreshed the F150 in sight...

Well, GM is just not as smart as the armchair quarterbacks on here that are only positive about one auto company and everyone else is incompetent or worse. Very seldom does any BOF fanatic say anything positive about any new product posted on this site. I'm no big fan of GM and probably have more reason to dislike them than most on here far removed from SE MI, but there is real talent there, always has been, and I sure hope they prosper just as much as I do for Ford.

I'll say something positive. If I ever bought a truck other than Ford it would be a Ram. (I still think of them as Dodge) Father in law just bought a Ram 1500, nice truck.

Does anybody like those square wheel wells?  They look terrible, IMO.

It's interesting how many foks don't like the square wheel openings.  I think they are fine.  Maybe I'm biased by the old Willys and Jeep square wheel opening designs.  The new front ends are too much.  In general I don't like how truck designs are intentionally getting tougher/uglier.  Just make them handsome.

Pretty conservative effort. The GM faithful will like, but I'm not sure it will pick up many conquest sales.

I really chuckled at the statement by engine design manager, Jordan Lee, that the engines are the most "technologically advanced engines ever offered in a light-duty pickup." These engines are all cam-in-block with pushrods. Maybe technologically advanced for 1955, but not today.

You do know right that Chevy small block pushrod V8's are more compact and fit lower and much better into engine compartment as compared to OHV engines? Seems to work rather well for Corvette which is an awesome sports car with more than enough power to win ALMS GT series and help it handle better also with its compact design. So I would think it will work great with new Silverado that will have more hp and torque than present Silverado. And those engines have always bested Ford's modular engines in fuel mileage also. Give Chevy engineers some credit...they know what they are doing and have massaged the small block V8 pushrods to more than hold their own against anyone. Not sure how you can compare 1955 Chevy small block V8 with V8 that is sitting in latest Corvette/Camaro/Silverado.

It's a fricking pickup fan boys. A cab and metal box on back. I mean there is not a lot you can do other than some grille changes and rear tail light design. And I would bet the next F-150 will look much like the present one. I doubt if Ford is going to radically change what has been successful for them. That would be dumb. They can lighten it without changing the looks much. Chevy likes the muscular look, and decided to keep it. Big deal. Choice is good, and it's not like the Silverado has been a poor seller like Tundra/Titan over the years. The Silverado just needed updating as in more power, torque, better fuel mileage, and more updated features/interior. They did that, and more to come each year after as Chevy has stated. I imagine a V6 turbo will be out within 12-18 months after shipping with 8 speed auto. So I expect the major players to keep the rugged, work truck look with big toothy grilles, and who cares about what the tail lights look like on back of metal box. Features, power, and utility is what really matters along with better fuel mileage. The future means less dilletantes buying them and more who really need them putting out the dough to buy them.