Ford Police Interceptors selling like hot cakes---or donuts?

Years ago I saw an unmarked black Silverado on 95 near the interchange with 32, lights on and someone pulled over. Tripped me out.

Maryland don't play.

Silverado? Heck. I've seen one or two unmarked Dodge Grand Caravans. :hysterical:

I don't think I could ever pull over for a minivan, just out of principle.

Edited by NickF1011

Silverado? Heck. I've seen one or two unmarked Dodge Grand Caravans. :hysterical:

I don't think I could ever pull over for a minivan, just out of principle.

I didn't see those until I went to Atlanta some years ago, lol.

I'd probably stop for the van. But the MINUTE some PD decides to be slick and include a Prius in their fleet....

Got passed on the freeway in California by a few Priuses in the Fiat 500. It was very humbling.

OK, you have my interest. How was that Fiat on fuel? I tried sitting in one, it is a 5 minute car for me.

The Ford PI sedan is getting popular around here, not many PI utilities. Several local departments still like full size SUVs, I am seeing new Tahoes and a few new Expeditions in the last few weeks. Also, I do not know what the plans are, but the OH State Troopers seem to be getting a few Chargers as the CVs are replaced. The Tahoes that they were using out of some posts seem to be going away. Sherriffs depts still seem to like the old Impala, probably one of the reasons it is still in production with another name.

OK, you have my interest. How was that Fiat on fuel? I tried sitting in one, it is a 5 minute car for me.

The Ford PI sedan is getting popular around here, not many PI utilities. Several local departments still like full size SUVs, I am seeing new Tahoes and a few new Expeditions in the last few weeks. Also, I do not know what the plans are, but the OH State Troopers seem to be getting a few Chargers as the CVs are replaced. The Tahoes that they were using out of some posts seem to be going away. Sherriffs depts still seem to like the old Impala, probably one of the reasons it is still in production with another name.

I didn't pay attention to fuel use - sorry!

Saw my first Maryland State Trooper PI at the McDonalds across the street from the North East Barracks Saturday morning.

Looked kinda bloated though...

I didn't even realize Maryland ordered PIs. I saw a Caprice not too long ago in Maryland colors. Guess they are trying them both out since they never really liked the Chargers.

I didn't even realize Maryland ordered PIs. I saw a Caprice not too long ago in Maryland colors. Guess they are trying them both out since they never really liked the Chargers.

The Cecil County Sheriff has a Caprice I see every once in awhile...the PI must be new because they are all of sudden popping up...seen two unmarked units last weekend and the marked one I saw this past Saturday.

I think State College (AKA PSU) is using PI's also...I saw one there last week.

Atlanta's transit agency, MARTA, is buying the new interceptors for its police force. Chamblee a small city in Metro Atlanta just got an SUV PI.

And the newest city in Georgia, Brookhaven, which is next to Chamblee and the City of Atlanta proper announced they are buying 46 PI sedans and 3 PI SUV's

http://thebrookhavenpost.net/?p=4023

"During an April 15th Press Conference, Chief Gary Yandura said, “We’re going with Ford Interceptors. It’s a brand new model that’s widely accepted in the Police field already. The marked units will be black in color. We ordered 46 sedans and 3 SUV’s for supervisors. We also ordered – to get things going and these are available right away – 7 Chevy Impalas to be used by administration and will be used by detectives too once they get going,"

"“One of the things that pushes the Ford’s to the top of the list is that, you can imagine, Police cars sit and idle a long time – such as when you have officers at an accident scene for example – they have alot of electronic equipment where they can’t just turn the cars off or the batteries will run down. Ford touts that these cars are getting 25% to 35% better gas mileage while idling. So if you add that to the 26/18 that we generally experience with the vehicles, that translates into a fuel savings for the City of Brookhaven in the long run.”

post-3804-0-32878600-1367266639_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fordowner

The Cecil County Sheriff has a Caprice I see every once in awhile...the PI must be new because they are all of sudden popping up...seen two unmarked units last weekend and the marked one I saw this past Saturday.

I think State College (AKA PSU) is using PI's also...I saw one there last week.

I know La Plata (Charles County) has at least 1 PI and 1 Caprice. The Charles County Sheriff's Office has placed in service new PIs and have gone to the black and white colors the rest of Maryland's Sheriff's Offices have been going to.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was coming home Sunday morning from Jersey, I saw a Maryland State Police using a Chevy Caprice in the county I live. I think they might have gotten one as a demo unit, because thats the only one I've seen so far, outside of the single Cecil county Sheriff unit that seems to be hanging around my development.

When I was coming home Sunday morning from Jersey, I saw a Maryland State Police using a Chevy Caprice in the county I live. I think they might have gotten one as a demo unit, because thats the only one I've seen so far, outside of the single Cecil county Sheriff unit that seems to be hanging around my development.

I believe MSP did their entire order with Chevrolet this year, since the Caprices have the olive/black paint jobs. Limited orders in the past were black only (i.e. the Tahoes, Chargers). I've seen a couple running around St. Mary's County. Guess MSP still has a bad taste in their mouth from when they tried the FWD Tauruses back in the early 90s. I noticed those didn't stay in the fleet very long.