Ford looking at the CVT option again

http://www.autonews.com/article/20141208/OEM06/312089966/ford-considers-cvts-as-way-to-improve-fuel-economy

I saw this on FIN and I'm surprised no one has discussed this yet. To start off, my limited experience with CVT in the Five Hundred was not that great. OTOH, my limited experience with the CVT in the 1st gen Fusion Hybrid was pretty good. I am not crazy about CVTS but I liked my Fiesta PowerShift and feel it needs more work.

In other words, it appears to be a 'Looking at options' article like exploring Hybrids and Diesels in the F1fiddy.

... I liked my Fiesta PowerShift and feel it needs more work.

But it sort of looks like it has DCT written all over it---unconventional transmission matched to entry-level powertrain doesn't sound like a winning combo.

The PowerShift DCT uses dry clutches, possibly the only production DCT to do so. Managing durability versus drive "quality" is a huge challenge.

• Like 1

and our service drive right now is inundated with replacing the clutch packs on Auto Fiestas....two will be mine...ones got a mind of its own apparently. ( I don't drive them, the ST is mine, and its having its flywheel replaced right now, say hello to the Chevy Spark in my driveway...)

In the effort to keep up with CAFE, CVTs have to be on the table. Especially for midsize and smaller vehicles. It is easier to keep an engine at its economy and emissions sweet spots with a CVT. And packaging gets to be a problem when you start getting above 8 speeds in a conventional automatic or DCT - especially for smaller vehicles.

• Like 1

In the effort to keep up with CAFE, CVTs have to be on the table. Especially for midsize and smaller vehicles. It is easier to keep an engine at its economy and emissions sweet spots with a CVT. And packaging gets to be a problem when you start getting above 8 speeds in a conventional automatic or DCT - especially for smaller vehicles.

Kind of a spurious claim. No one offers a modern automatic alongside a CVT with an otherwise identical powertrain. Honda's I4 is CVT only, and their V6 is 6AT only.* Nissan hasn't offered a geared automatic in about 7 years in their car lines.

Also, Audi is actually doing away with CVTs in their longitudinal FWD models. Evidently they have something figured out that satisfies CAFE regulations.

* - Disregarding manuals, of course.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

I think the economy gains from an 8 speed to a CVT will be trivial, even by CAFE standards.

Ford is looking at CVTs in the same way that they're always looking at stuff. They're a business. Any company that makes business decisions based on personal prejudices (like, say, "no hydraulic brakes") is going to end up in a world of hurt.

• Like 2

and our service drive right now is inundated with replacing the clutch packs on Auto Fiestas....two will be mine...ones got a mind of its own apparently. ( I don't drive them, the ST is mine, and its having its flywheel replaced right now, say hello to the Chevy Spark in my driveway...)

Wow, I didn't realize there was such an epidemic.

funnily enough though, even with their idiosyncrasies, Ive yet to hear of anyone being stranded with a complete trans failure. So basically my stepdaughter gets a brand new trans at 50000 miles.....personally I think Fords just doing a blanket fix it with new clutch packs due to the squeaky wheel effect...youll probably never hear if it completely remedies the complaints....

• Like 1

Ford has been looking at CVTs for years, I have technical articles from back in the mid 70s when they were testing them on the LTDs of that era. CVTs, like any other technology today, are advancing with new discoveries in materials and lubrication. To keep them off the table just because they are not a "geared transmission" is as short sighted as Henry's dislike of hydraulic brakes. They are just another "tool in the toolbox" that you have in there just in case. May make sense in certain classes of vehicles but not in others.

... and our service drive right now is inundated with replacing the clutch packs on Auto Fiestas....

Interesting !

Durability was an issue throughout all of the development of the PowerShift. I was very surprised when it was installed in the Focus. During development it was aimed at B class vehicles with engines below 1.6L.

A CVT definitely drives different than a conventional auto. Right now, that's a liability - many of the manufacturers have added simulated gears to their CVTs to make them drive more like people expect. However, it seems that a CVT shines at its best when it doesn't have to pretend to be a conventional automatic. If the buying public adapts to CVTs, I think we'll see more of them. If manufacturers keep having to disguise them as something else, I think we'll see other technologies instead.

When I was shopping for my Escape, I went to the local Subaru dealer since what I really wanted was a wagon. The sales guy I was working with there told me that he had customers who had bought two or three manual cars from him switching to the CVT because they liked it better after driving one. I've only driven a Subaru with a CVT a little (two test drives and a few days with one as a rental), but it didn't feel like they were trying to disguise it as an automatic. It didn't drive exactly like what I was used to, but I could have adjusted to it. It didn't hurt that I was getting 35 mpg doing 75-80 on the highway in a midsize wagon either - I could get used to that!

CVT may make sense in certain models but I don't think Ford is about the make an across the board commitment to this technology.

Ford/GM has the 9 speed FWD and 10 speed RWD transmission coming next year so that takes care of most of the needs.

The 9 speed is too big, too heavy and too expensive to be used in b and c cars. The segment from <180ft/lbs is where a new transmission is needed and exactly where the packaging, weight and cost issues are for the 9 speed.