Ford Revises Ecosport to Counter Poor Sales (in Europe)

Meh...I don't think the B-Max would do that well here......

Although, I wonder if they could make a hybrid out of it. Seeing as there were reports of doing a hybrid minibrand right? It would fit in below the C-Max and be a Prius C competitor.

I feel the B-Max could get a better reception vice the EcoSport. Now does it make a business case in NA? Probably not. As for it part of the Hybrid/Energi family? It'd might have a better chance. I know some of us (myself too) bemoan the lack of a Grand C-Max here. However, I see the case for a C-max in the current lineup.

I still wonder if the B-Max interior would need much modification to fit in the Ecosport...

I do not see the B-Max selling well here. It's got the minivan curse.

The interior trim is something that's relatively easy to change but exemplifies the origin of Ecosport design,

the basic intention to serve those specific markets. I was surprised that ord didn't account for those

changing needs across non-traditional Ecosport markets.

One of the big changes required for Everest was to replace the down market tupperware interior

with something more suited to buyer expecting higher quality trim on the interior.

I would expect Ecoport needs no less of a rework to appeal to people outside BRIC countries.

Worse--it looks like a minivan but it lacks the space of a minivan. It might sell as a taxi, but it really has nothing to recommend it over a sedan or CUV.

I think the B-Max would sell better here than the Fiesta does but I don't see that segment as being a priority for Ford.

I have a hard time understanding how big it is. When I look at videos on YouTube, it almost looks the size of the C-max. I like the size of the C-max but I don't like that it doesn't come in a gasoline version. As for the curse of the minivan, I think those that point that out are correct. Look at sales of the Mazda 5. It has never sold that well but it really looks quite practical.

Edited by LincolnV

My bestfriend has a Mazda5 and she loves it. It's a 2006 and it's a rattle trap with horrible NVH but thats typical of Mazda's. She loves it no matter what and how much fun we make of it. She likes the fact it's small and very tossable, but we are able to get 6-7 people in there easily. Tight squeeze on the 3rd row, but we aren't by any means fat people, cept for my long legs which I do well in the 2nd row. She was excited to venture into a new Ford Grand C-Max but Ford tabled that idea. With a good 30HP, and a few extra gears in the transmission with better NVH is really all the car needs. I think Mazdas issue is the small dealer network, mediocre service depts, and barely any advertising on a vehicle approaching 9 year mark.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents:

Versa and Fit were lauded for the interior space in this segment. They were wagons and they fleeced the buying public as far as I'm concerned by selling them as hatchbacks. B-Max has the higher roofline and space to compete in B segment. Fiesta took the conventional route as a classic hatchback and was panned for it. Remember that cars have gotten bigger and the space inside the B segment is equivalent to what compacts were considered 10 years ago. Now folks may be standoffish at the B-Max because of it's unconventional door setup but that could possibly be amended. With gas prices dropping, the compact market may take a hit. However, FE is not the only reason for getting a compact. The overall footprint and utility make a city dwellers life easier. It is also a great segment for second car/commuter.

Concerning Grand C-Max, it made sense to not have it here when there's Transit Connect. I feel the Wagon version is not getting enough coverage in advertising and the feature availible could use some beefing up and some standardization with the rest of the lineup. I noticed in B&P I can't get the EB16? WTF?

I think a B-Max with four swing doors would sell better than the fiesta - The Fit is very MPV like IMHO.

I think it will sell reasonably well. The B-segment in the US market is entering a period of diffusion with cars like Kia Soul finding a lot of success seemingly at the expense of more conventional styled hatchback. But it's not all about body style... the product has to be compelling and value proposition has to be there. Case in point, a B-Max like car with 4 swing out door will resemble Nissan Cube... a colossal failure in the US market because of poor packing (CVT and anemic power) and poor valuation proposition (imported from Japan with high costs vs. dirt cheap Mexican Versa in the same showroom).

Edited by bzcat

I think it will sell reasonably well. The B-segment in the US market is entering a period of diffusion with cars like Kia Soul finding a lot of success seemingly at the expense of more conventional styled hatchback. But it's not all about body style... the product has to be compelling and value proposition has to be there. Case in point, a B-Max like car with 4 swing out door will resemble Nissan Cube... a colossal failure in the US market because of poor packing (CVT and anemic power) and poor valuation proposition (imported from Japan with high costs vs. dirt cheap Mexican Versa in the same showroom).

Well, it doesn't help the Cube was hideous on top of all that...

How can you "fleece" a buyer when they can plainly see exactly what they're buying?

Purely anecdotal of course, I have not have a Fit or Versa owner admit they were owning in respects a wagon. A 'Tall' Hatchback yes. It's rose coloured glasses for the faithful and it's eaten up.

Purely anecdotal of course, I have not have a Fit or Versa owner admit they were owning in respects a wagon. A 'Tall' Hatchback yes. It's rose coloured glasses for the faithful and it's eaten up.

I guess you have a different definition of fleeced. I interpret that as taken advantage of financially.

If you're saying they were deluded into calling it a hatchback instead of a wagon then I can agree with that.

• Like 1

I guess you have a different definition of fleeced. I interpret that as taken advantage of financially.

If you're saying they were deluded into calling it a hatchback instead of a wagon then I can agree with that.

Fair enough, I was a little too much with the hyperbole. In a sense you could say that money was taken on what some would say is savy marketing and salesmanship. I had an ex looking at replacing the civic and the dealer told her that the Versa suspension was the same used in an Infinti. Which is savy or an attempt at fleecing?

Fair enough, I was a little too much with the hyperbole. In a sense you could say that money was taken on what some would say is savy marketing and salesmanship. I had an ex looking at replacing the civic and the dealer told her that the Versa suspension was the same used in an Infinti. Which is savy or an attempt at fleecing?

I could call that fleecing because it's a lie and there is no way for the average customer to know the difference.

• Like 1