Ford's February 2015 Sales Figures

robertlane

LINK

In February, Scott said 73 percent of 2015 F-150s were either Platinum, King Ranch or Lariat. Platinum and King Ranch have higher starting prices than every Lincoln nameplate except the Navigator.

In contrast, those trims, which Ford refers to as “high series,” represented about 30 percent of 2014 F-150 sales.

Granted, the new aluminum-bodied F-150 just launched, and early buyers load up on expensive options far more than those who wait for the trucks to start stacking up on dealership lots. Ford is still ramping up production, with the “Job 1” ceremony scheduled for tomorrow in Kansas City, which was the second of its two F-150 plants to retool. Dealers won’t have a normal supply of the truck for a couple more months.

Ford also hasn’t started delivering the 2015 model to commercial and other fleet customers in large quantities. Those aren’t the type of buyers to splurge on the $1,695 chrome appearance package or fully appreciate the Platinum’s “unique genuine wood interior trim accents.”

“We can’t leave behind or ignore the more value-oriented end of the market,” Scott said. “The people that have been in market the last few years have been more affluent and therefore more high series-minded.”

For now, though, Ford is eagerly building all of the King Ranches and Platinums it can, and dealers have had no trouble finding customers to take them. And a vehicle that generates upwards of 90 percent of Ford’s automotive profits, according to a Morgan Stanley estimate, is hauling in even more gravy than usual.

With sales like that, why is Lincoln relevent? :p

Its interesting that people are willing to spend $50k+ on a pickup truck no problem

• Like 1

IIRC the 2005 advent of the Taurus/TaurusX was a massive re-do of the basic platform firewall, with a fundamental design change.

Previously the engine/transmission had been carried as part of the front sub-frame with its suspension duties. This changed to direct mounts to the platform for engine/transmission, leaving the sub-frame to handle suspension/drive line, in an effort to lower NVH. I could be mistaken. :)

they moved to TRA (Torque roll Axis) engine mounts, which are the standard engine mounting system for Ford's since the 1998 Fiesta.

that's a Shame because Ford Needs Lincoln now more than ever.

the Global luxury segment is growing faster than any other segment. For ford to Cede that segment to the competition is a mistake.

Luxury brands are seeing an increase but those brands span the premium and luxury segments,

I think most of the growth being seen is in the premium area.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Upscale Explorers, F-150's, and Super Duty's are Ford's luxury brand. I don't think Lincoln will ever thrive, despite all the fantasy Lincoln lineups some at other forums keeps dreaming up.

All depends on what you consider thriving....its not like Lincoln is throwing billons of dollars into products like Caddy with not much to show for it outside of magazine praise. I look at Lincoln as a rich chocolate frosting in Ford's profit lineup, with Ford being the chocolate cake underneath it.

• Like 1

All depends on what you consider thriving....its not like Lincoln is throwing billons of dollars into products like Caddy with not much to show for it outside of magazine praise. I look at Lincoln as a rich chocolate frosting in Ford's profit lineup, with Ford being the chocolate cake underneath it.

I look at Lincoln and Cadillac as pimpmobiles.

edit: or hearses...and they'd better not haul my carcass to the field in either, just throw me in the back of my truck.

Edited by F250

In my experience,everytime Ford introduces a "New" truck,the vast majority of the early sales are the loaded models. That is not unusual,and not indicitive of future sales.

Why does Ford do that, is it to get high series sales out there while plants are in slow and steady mode

learning how to build the new models or is there some other reason?

Sounds like Fleet customers are catered for once both plants are switched and production is back to full speed.,

when less costly models are passed through the plant more quickly , perhaps at lower cost to build?

I look at Lincoln and Cadillac as pimpmobiles.

edit: or hearses...and they'd better not haul my carcass to the field in either, just throw me in the back of my truck.

How many current Lincolns would be long enough to take a coffin?

Apart from maybe MKT or Navigator, I think they would have to stick you on a roof rack to get you to the cemetery...

Mind you, a new Alloy Lincoln LT wouldn't be out of place next to a new Alloy Navigator...

Edited by jpd80

How many current Lincolns would be long enough to take a coffin?

Apart from maybe MKT or Navigator, I think they would have to stick you on a roof rack to get you to the cemetery...

Mind you, a new Alloy Lincoln LT wouldn't be out of place next to a new Alloy Navigator...

Nah, just cut the head and legs off. Fit right in the trunk.

Luxury brands are seeing an increase but those brands span the premium and luxury segments,

I think most of the growth being seen is in the premium area.

what about the rest of the world that doesn't buy trucks? that is where the growth is coming from. ford hasn't been successful in selling "premium mainstream" models overseas.

Upscale Explorers, F-150's, and Super Duty's are Ford's luxury brand. I don't think Lincoln will ever thrive, despite all the fantasy Lincoln lineups some at other forums keeps dreaming up.

yes again, the growth is coming from regions that don't buy those products.

Pretty sure that most here can see what Ford is doing with F Series as well as Lincoln,

it's all about getting your priorities right Trucks and Utilities are where the money is, not cars.

The money in the GLOBAL Auto industry is in the luxury segment not trucks.