16 Malibu revealed

Fgts

Not a fan. I just don't know what I'm supposed to think or feel when I look at this car.

The CT6, I get. I'm supposed to think "Cadillac" when I look at it, and I do.

But this? Am I supposed to be excited? "Challenged" by the "exciting" dialogue between the lower fascia and the grille and headlamps?

And why? I mean, perhaps it's just late night indigestion or ennui, but what's the point here? I can barely muster apathy in response to this. It's not even ugly.

• Like 1

So Chevy looks like they shrunken an Impala and added a sharpened Camry nose. I like the Impala and on paper, this Malibu has all the ingredients to compete with the rest of the mid size class. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like Chevrolet more than Buick, I have to meditate on this. Like you said Probowler, the faithful will like it.

It's better than the current model. Thing is - when statements like "passionate design" hit the media months before you reveal the car, you're kind of setting up a lot of expectations.

I don't think this looks like a "passionate design" anymore than some of it's other mid-size competitors. I still think the Chrysler 200 looks much better.

I think it looks great, especially compared to the current model. Not a fan of the "tablet stuck to the dash" part either or the passenger dash design, but it should be more than competitive in class finally.

He described the new Malibu as having a "wheel-oriented" design

What the hell does that even mean?

Though the Malibu hybrid and Volt share some genetics, the electric systems are calibrated differently: the Volt is an efficiency play, while the Malibu's electric enhance power and performance. "We want to take advantage of the points of your drive cycle it is most efficient to run the engine," said engineer Daryl Wilson.

We just figured out what every physics student learns in high school - it's more efficient to drive the wheels directly from the ICE than it is to turn a generator to make electricity then use an electric motor to turn it back into mechanical energy.

Notably, there's a customizable Teen Driver feature that is standard on most trims. It mutes the audio when passengers aren't using seat belts and displays warnings when the car is going faster than pre-programmed speeds. It also generates a user report that displays the top speed, distance traveled and notes if any safety features were triggered during the drive. GM doesn't monitor or record the information, which can be deleted. "We really want this to be a teaching tool," said MaryAnn Beebe, chief safety engineer.

6+ years later we finally figured out how to copy Ford's MyKey.

The rear end looks like an Impala and the front end looks like a Toyota Avalon. The interior isn't bad but this car doesn't scream "buy me" like a Ford Fusion does. I just think there are way too many things going on with the various styling ques to be a cohesive design and overall I don't like it.

• Like 1

It's perfectly acceptable. I thought that the styling was supposed to be "Corvette inspired," but this car blends right in with everything else in this segment. There are, however, too many character lines along the flanks of this car.

cqhsmufkwscyufi3oskg.jpg

Oh, great. The whole "tablet stuck to the dash" IP aesthetic.

You could have taken away any badging and I could tell this was a GM interior. Thick everything and round everything everywhere. I swear they must have the same interior designers locked in a room that have not seen recent cars since the 90's.

You could have taken away any badging and I could tell this was a GM interior. Thick everything and round everything everywhere. I swear they must have the same interior designers locked in a room that have not seen recent cars since the 90's.

The jutting "nub" of the IP is a huge turnoff. It looks (at best) like the Durango and (at worst) like the old bench seat Town Cars.

Sorry for the double post.

BUT... look at the way 3 different pieces come together to form the thickness of the IP. Lower dash trim comes up and meets the portion that extends out over the glovebox, and then there's another 3" or 4" piece of fat, rounded trim on top of that that actually contains the IP. It looks like the spare tire of a size 12 in size 4 yoga pants.

Also, "The Jutting Nubs" would be a fanfuckingtastic band name.

This is my single biggest complaint with GM styling. It reminds me of the Chevy Corsica rental cars I had back in the early 90s. Dull grey and round.

It kind of looks like a muted Fusion in the greenhouse, but over all I do like it. I was expecting more though as it is not good enough to be better looking than Fusion, Optima, or Accord but it is better by leaps and bounds over Camry. I hate the front, but I love the Corvette like brake lights. The interior is very nice.

Better looking is completely subjective. A lot of folks think the Fusion is ugly. I think it will appeal to a lot of buyers including Chevy faithful and steal some conquest sales. Should raise ATPs, too. The only reason to keep the old one is sheer sales volume.

It's like when the 1990 Lumina came out 4 years after '86 Taurus. Chevy plays catch up and talks as if 'if we build it, they will come back'. It's not the 60's, when Chevy was the 800 lb gorilla and could bring out anything late, and sell well.

And no way will they break 300K annual sales. Even rental companies know not to buy fire sale priced cars.

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1