Lincoln getting ready to dump MK naming convention?

Lincoln could recycle old Packard names:

Caribbean

Panama

I love the Packard Caribbean.

Actually...I would love to see a "Signature Edition" to recognize Edsel Ford as the great automotive pioneer he was...despite Henry Ford.

Something like Daimler did?

Mark Fields said that they might have a mix of old names and classic names to within the Lincoln brand.

First and foremost, I want to say that between the Continental and this announcement, I am finally starting to gather some hope and excitement for Lincoln again. I fully admit I'm one of the ones that hasn't really liked anything they've done up until this point, with few minor exceptions.

That being said, I know this thread will be looked at by "certain" people with great interest, and to you I say THANK YOU!

Now, as for the names themselves? I would not only reach into the "Lincoln Historical Bin" for names, but also go back and use a few of the fantastic names that you guys have applied to those awesome concept cars we've seen over the years. (Of course that's saying that you still have the trademark filed)

My fantasy list as follows:

MKZ - ZEPHYR

MKC - VERSAILLES or PREMIERE

MKX - NAVICROSS

MKS - CONTINENTAL

(EXPLORER-BASED) MKT REPLACEMENT - AVIATOR

NAVIGATOR - DO NOT CHANGE

This leaves a few (in my opinion) cool names left on the table too like Blackwood, Sentinel, and Cosmo (Shortened version of Cosmopolitan, because I think that full name would be a bit too much nowadays).

And please, don't ruin a Mustang-based Lincoln with that MKR crap. If anything, THAT is where you use the MK naming scheme as it was originally intended, returning a sporty entry to the "Mark" name and make a proper Mark IX coupe. (That and the Mark X convertible concepts were awesome to see in person)

Edited by OHV 16V

I actually think there is not much point to change MKZ or MKC till the next redesign and if so i doubt they will go with Zephyr as its kinda recent and it lasted one year, i think something more modern is needed, i am for recycling mercury names into Lincoln, Lincoln Mariner works well.

My opinion? I think they need to keep the legacy names out of the mix. Continental is still recognizable so that's fine, but instead of digging in the past to come up with names, I think they can find strong new names to use that have no connections (positive or negative) to the past.

My opinion? I think they need to keep the legacy names out of the mix. Continental is still recognizable so that's fine, but instead of digging in the past to come up with names, I think they can find strong new names to use that have no connections (positive or negative) to the past.

I have to agree with this for the most part. Lincoln doesn't have many really worth using anyway. Exceptions would be Zephyr, Mark IX and Sentinal.

I actually think there is not much point to change MKZ or MKC till the next redesign and if so i doubt they will go with Zephyr as its kinda recent and it lasted one year, i think something more modern is needed, i am for recycling mercury names into Lincoln, Lincoln Mariner works well.

Agree 100%

Zephyr is a terrible name to recycle for MKZ. Someone else mentioned Versailles... that's another LOL WTF were they thinking name.

Manhattan is ok name for a small Lincoln but does Ford really want to invite the inevitable comparison to West coast version? (Chevy Malibu)

Lincoln Mariner and Aviator are the only old name that is worth recycling in my opinion.

Agree 100%

Zephyr is a terrible name to recycle for MKZ. Someone else mentioned Versailles... that's another LOL WTF were they thinking name.

Manhattan is ok name for a small Lincoln but does Ford really want to invite the inevitable comparison to West coast version? (Chevy Malibu)

Lincoln Mariner and Aviator are the only old name that is worth recycling in my opinion.

There's countless vehicles named after cities or locations...I don't think anyone would automatically assume Malibu vs Manhattan.

When I think of Lincoln's true glory days, I think of the 1930s and 1940s and streamlined modernism. Lincoln needs to convey a sense of progress and optimism, and the names should reflect that.

Stuffy names like Town Car and Versailles need to stay on the shelf.

I was actually looking at names of eastern seaboard coastal towns to see if something would work for Lincoln, but I didn't come up with much. Lincoln Newport sounds nice, but it makes me think too much of Chrysler. Lincoln Majestic? Lincoln Montauk?

Lincoln Cosmo sounds like a good name for a C-size sedan. I'm not opposed to bringing back Zephyr for the MKZ since it has a lot of history and is not a bad sounding name to my ears.

Edited by mustang84isu

Previously mentioned ones I like:

Lincoln Manhattan

Lincoln Sentinel (for a sporty car)

Some others:

Lincoln Oheka (named after the castle for rich people on Long Island, seen in Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" video). Could be used for an SUV?

Lincoln Atlantic

Lincoln Pacific

Lincoln Makinac (famous Michigan island retreat....though prone to mispronunciation by non Mid-westerners)