F150 Might Have a Land Rover Turbo Diesel V6

Well, Autoblow Autoblog is wrong about the origin of the engine... The F-150 is not "packing a Jaguar-Land Rover turbo diesel V6" as the article says, but rather a Ford turbo diesel V6. This is not a Land Rover engine - it is the Ford-Peugeot Lion engine. Tata they must be paying Ford to do the emission compliance work, because Tata does not have the expertise or the resources to tackle something this complicated.

However, I do agree with their assertion that Ford is testing a diesel F-150. If Ford was merely doing emission work for hire, they would just use Range Rover mules to do the testing. The fact that this truck has revised exhaust and plumbing for urea treatment system (I assume the camouflaged bed to to hide the refilling area for the urea tank) tells me Ford is definitely serious about selling it. Perhaps the fact that Tata paid for the emission compliance costs helped Ford make the math work.

Edited by bzcat

Ford was testing diesel F-150s at least as far back as '02 (akirby and I both know someone who was involved in testing it), so this really shouldn't be a surprise.

Right... but this time they are testing it in a 2015 F-150 with an engine that we know will be certified for sale in the US in 2016 model year.

• Like 1

From what we know with FCA's diesel research, the Cummins 5.0 it couldn't get more than 24 mpg on the highway test.

Keep in mind that the Ram 1500 is also 700-800 lbs heavier than the current F150 so a slightly smaller 4.4 V8 diesel

in the lighter F150 would probably put it in the 25-26 mpg zone with an 8-speed.

So I'm wondering if this would be a way of offering a V8 diesel in F150, Expedition and NAV even with an $8,000 premium

Maybe the Lifestyle Trucks and SUVs make a come back in a way that protects them from future higher gas prices

Wouldn't a low-mpg diesel be bad for an automakers CAFE, or is diesel in its own category?

Sales are great, but so many people say v8s will disappear due to cafe, and I would think the same force would hurt diesel

Low-MPG anything is bad for CAFE. Diesel typically gets 10-20% better fuel economy than gas (less now with the tighter emissions), so that's why you would offer a diesel. It would NOT be a low-MPG diesel, it would be a high-MPG diesel (see Ram, Ecodiesel).

• Like 1

Diesel has been cheaper than gas for most of 2015 on the west coast. Sometimes the discount has been close to to $1/gallon

That will change after January. Exxon Mobil lost their FCC (fluid catalytic cracker) last Feb and a few other refinery's (which I'm not at liberty to mention) have also lost their FCC's due to part failures or shutdowns. One major will be fired back up late December and that will bring 4 million gallons/ day of fuel back into the pool, thus driving down cost. The FCC's make the majority gasoline at oil refinery's. Mobil isn't expected to be up until late 1Q.

Edited by Hydro
  • Like 1

Hopefully there will be some relief soon Steve. As I mentioned, a huge plant (270,000 barrels/ day ;) ) will be starting their FCC back up on Dec 30th after an unplanned shutdown. It usually takes about 7-10 days to get back on spec and fully ramp'd up, but with Mobil still down until at least March we won't see low $2 unfortunately.

On a side note, did you guys see the proposal to add a $1/gallon gas tax while prices are low so we could help ease the debt.. unfucking believable.

Edited by Hydro
  • Like 1

On a side note, did you guys see the proposal to add a $1/gallon gas tax while prices are low so we could help ease the debt.. unfucking believable.

There's been talk in Jersey about raising the gas tax in Jersey (which is one of the lowest in the country surprisingly, considering all the other taxes we have here)...but in all likelyhood, this money would be funneled to something else instead of improving roads/bridges in the state!

• Like 1

There's been talk in Jersey about raising the gas tax in Jersey (which is one of the lowest in the country surprisingly, considering all the other taxes we have here)...but in all likelyhood, this money would be funneled to something else instead of improving roads/bridges in the state!

Still can't believe you can't pump your own gas in NJ. For "safety" reasons.......