Lincoln RWD here we come...... Possibly new developments????

Ford was prepared. Honda was prepared. Toyota was prepared. Nissan was prepared. Hyundai and Kia were prepared. Porsche, VW and Audi were prepared. Everybody but GM and Chrysler.

Look at it this way. Everybody was driving down the freeway at 55 mph and there was a sudden 20 car pileup. Everybody was wearing seat belts except GM and Chrysler so they survived. You can't blame the accident for that - you blame it on them not being prepared.

Seriously - stop arguing about things you're not yet old enough or experienced enough to comprehend.

Ford was not prepared, they were lucky enough to have Jaguar, Land Rover, and Aston Martin to sell, unlike GM, or Ford would've been done. You can think what you want, the bottom line is whether you silk suit Ford owners want to believe it or not, this generation of Lincoln doesn't even hold a candle to the Japs.......

Lmao you bought an MKX, congrats Mr. Business expert, you'll never get close to half of what you paid in 3 years! Should've bought a Ford Edge platinum!!!!! You paid for the Lincoln name! Do you even realize that? Lincoln is so bad, Alan was killing it and the real truth is Bill ousted him too, because he didn't want to kill Lincoln, probably embarrassed how he ran Ford into the ground..... Can't run a business to save his life, needs a team to tell him what he needs to do. He's so bad he stepped down from CEO......

Edited by LincolnLover

Ford was not prepared, they were lucky enough to have Jaguar, Land Rover, and Aston Martin to sell, unlike GM, or Ford would've been done. You can think what you want, the bottom line is whether you silk suit Ford owners want to believe it or not, this generation of Lincoln doesn't even hold a candle to the Japs.......

Lmao you bought an MKX, congrats Mr. Business expert, you'll never get close to half of what you paid in 3 years! Should've bought a Ford Edge platinum!!!!! You paid for the Lincoln name! Do you even realize that? Lincoln is so bad, Alan was killing it and the real truth is Bill ousted him too, because he didn't want to kill Lincoln, probably embarrassed how he ran Ford into the ground..... Can't run a business to save his life, needs a team to tell him what he needs to do. He's so bad he stepped down from CEO......

That's why the MKX beat the RX in a recent comparison right? And the Caddy XT5......and the only reason it didn't win the whole thing is because they tested a smaller-than-the-others GLC and raved about how much faster and better fuel economy it had....naturally it would, it's a vehicle class smaller.

Yes, akirby realizes what he paid for. He saw value in the Lincoln brand, and in the MKX. To him it was worth it. To an increasing number of people, Lincoln matters and is worth the price. You can dislike the current lineup, but you can't ignore the increasing sales numbers.

That's why the MKX beat the RX in a recent comparison right? And the Caddy XT5......and the only reason it didn't win the whole thing is because they tested a smaller-than-the-others GLC and raved about how much faster and better fuel economy it had....naturally it would, it's a vehicle class smaller.

Yes, akirby realizes what he paid for. He saw value in the Lincoln brand, and in the MKX. To him it was worth it. To an increasing number of people, Lincoln matters and is worth the price. You can dislike the current lineup, but you can't ignore the increasing sales numbers.

Yes he can. His entire argument depends on it.

Lincoln's new Town Car is the Continental, and it's FAR better than any Town Car that has ever existed. I'm sorry if your idea of uber luxury is slow, lumbering, and low-tech that makes for great fleet cars or taxis. Like many people who have a nostalgic view of the past, the truth disappears through myopia.

I assure you, Lincoln understands the market and their business FAR better than anybody here so to me it's hilarious when I see militant trolls insisting that they know better.

• Like 1

I'm not getting rid of my MKX in 3 years.

If Ford hadn't bought Jag, LR and AM to begin with they would have had even more cash on hand. Mulally changed the Ford business model before the shit hit the fan and that's why they survived. Had they waited another year to do that they would have been bankrupt too.

These are assumptions.... You're assuming an increase in people will buy Lincoln's and less will buy Cadillac's.... Why do you think this when each company is launching new vehicles, one revolutionary, undercutting the competition and best value. I'd say it would potentially be the other way around. The Cadillac lineup is hot for 2016. Once the XT7 and XT3 come out, forget about it.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm reading both Cadillac and Lincoln sales numbers as they reported them.

Sorry I've been busy all day doing stuff at my apartment complex and collecting rent...... The final thing I have to say is, I stopped to really look at the Cadillac lineup vs the Lincoln lineup...... No comparison, sorry....... Forget RWD vs FWD, the basis of each lineup doesn't even compare, Cadillac's look actually better than the German's and the Lincoln's look like a Buick competitor......

Most people don't give a shit as to what wheels are driving it. As for the CD6, I don't think having a sedan off a CUV platform worked out that well the last time Ford did it with the D3.

Guess we will find out. We've only been talking about GRWD for almost ten years now without anything coming from it.

Most people don't give a shit as to what wheels are driving it. As for the CD6, I don't think having a sedan off a CUV platform worked out that well the last time Ford did it with the D3.

Guess we will find out. We've only been talking about GRWD for almost ten years now without anything coming from it.

• Like 1

As for the CD6, I don't think having a sedan off a CUV platform worked out that well the last time Ford did it with the D3.

Ahem...... Fusion/Edge/MKZ/MKX and Continental all on cd4. The problem was D3 not platform sharing in general. Edited by akirby

What amazes me about Lincoln is just how quickly they've managed to catch-up in terms of chassis and drivetrain technology, the MKX just complete obliterates its competition and MKZ is poised to do the same, all without a bespoke platform. The same is true for luxury amenities such as seats and sound system. And Lincoln has quickly become the benchmark for customer care and service. I'm not as thrilled by their design direction, although I realize they need to be less offensive to potential shoppers than other luxury marques which can be more adventurous. Again, time will tell but they have a suitably flexible fascia to work with now, but they need to give it some drama, something more distinctive and interesting since it's all too generic.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

What amazes me about Lincoln is just how quickly they've managed to catch-up in terms of chassis and drivetrain technology, the MKX just complete obliterates its competition and MKZ is poised to do the same, all without a bespoke platform. The same is true for luxury amenities such as seats and sound system. And Lincoln has quickly become the benchmark for customer care and service. I'm not as thrilled by their design direction, although I realize they need to be less offensive to potential shoppers than other luxury marques which can be more adventurous. Again, time will tell but they have a suitably flexible fascia to work with now, but they need to give it some drama, something more distinctive and interesting since it's all too generic.

Styling wise, you could look at them like Lexus - for years, decades even, had an inoffensive design language that wasn't anything over the top, and as the brand has gotten more established, they've been able to venture out styling wise (unfortunately the results have been ugly, but people are still buying them).

Lincoln tried something more unique in the split wing, but its reception was mixed (I thnk they finally got it right with the MKX, but oh well). So now, they're going with the "play it safe" approach to improve the brand's image/relevance in the marketplace, and as time goes on, I'm sure we'll see them push the boundaries more.

• Like 2

^ just-imho, Rmc; Lexoid has consistently not really known what to do stylewise

so they went from copying/emulating MB

(eventually-)to *anime-accident-victim*

I definitely do Not give them any benefit of doubt (or visual acuity) that they actually INTEND to "dress their cars 'funny')

they just Are & prolley always will be: clueless in that regard....LIKE their customerspoke.gif

thumb.gif

just one ittybitty change:

"generic" => Subtle biggrin.gif

wink.gif

To be fair I never really loved the split-wing grille motif either, the MKX probably did it the best but even there they could have done it better, especially with the lower fascia. I really like the new look for the lower fascia, it's much wider and more dramatic than the overly soft and pedestrian look of the split-wing grille designs. I'm glad Lincoln is willing to make seismic design changes when it realizes things aren't working, and the new look certainly isn't offensive or a deterrent. I will say however I find the MKZ less appealing than before, but the Continental is sharp.

Edited by BORG

^ just-imho, Rmc; Lexoid has consistently not really known what to do stylewise

so they went from copying/emulating MB

(eventually-)to *anime-accident-victim*

I definitely do Not give them any benefit of doubt (or visual acuity) that they actually INTEND to "dress their cars 'funny')

they just Are & prolley always will be: clueless in that regard....LIKE their customerspoke.gif

thumb.gif

just one ittybitty change:

"generic" => Subtle biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Oh, I wasn't trying to use Lexus as an example of doing it right haha. Instead, just pointing out that for years they were just kind of "there," whereas now they've certainly gone far out there styling wise.

They certainly could have made the MKZ a little more appealing had they done a little more with the back end instead of doing nothing like they did.

I agree. I've always liked the rear of the '13+ MKZ, but they should've done something to it (no slightly reworking the plastic at the bottom doesn't count).