Lincoln RWD here we come...... Possibly new developments????

Matt aka P-71 was part of the "Panther Mafia", the young ones who bought used cop cars and thought they knew everything. He was livid about a plastic manifold that cracked out of warranty......by 100,000 miles.

Nothing wrong with the Panther platform for it's time. It just got old and couldn't meet new crash regs. I love RWD! I have a 94 Lincoln Mark VIII. Previously a 96 Mark VIII and a 71 Mark III. 23955935-650e-4b71-b327-21b198d23767_zps

I'd love a Mark IX off the Mustang chassis. Maybe a drop top hardtop with small suicide doors in back too. That's a photoshop I need to do.

• Like 1

Matt aka P-71 was part of the "Panther Mafia", the young ones who bought used cop cars and thought they knew everything. He was livid about a plastic manifold that cracked out of warranty......by 100,000 miles.

Nothing wrong with the Panther platform for it's time. It just got old and couldn't meet new crash regs. I love RWD! I have a 94 Lincoln Mark VIII. Previously a 96 Mark VIII and a 71 Mark III. 23955935-650e-4b71-b327-21b198d23767_zps

I'd love a Mark IX off the Mustang chassis. Maybe a drop top hardtop with small suicide doors in back too. That's a photoshop I need to do.

Beautiful Lincoln's! I'm definitely not Matt, whether or not anyone believes it, I don't care.... I've never owned anything on the Panther platform, only dreamed about a Town Car. ?

I was thinkingI

Timm, don't count on suicide doors for a production car beyond those half doors you see on pickups. It's cost prohibitive to make them meet crash regs.

I was thinking of the 1/2 door like on the Saturn coupe. If they can make sliding DOORS on a mini-van (both sides) you'd think they could make something work!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any news about a 48 v electric assist on the Mustang platform?

Being that the big push for 48V are will be coming in the post 2020 timeframe it would make sense that what ever is going on with this platform it would include 48v provisions.

Also the 5th vehicle could be bigger than the Contenental, mainly a China focused product but could see limited Middle East and US sales. At one point there was a sedan larger than the mks, that was put off when lincoln was questionable on survival and was focusing on suv's

Being that the big push for 48V are will be coming in the post 2020 timeframe it would make sense that what ever is going on with this platform it would include 48v provisions.

Also the 5th vehicle could be bigger than the Contenental, mainly a China focused product but could see limited Middle East and US sales. At one point there was a sedan larger than the mks, that was put off when lincoln was questionable on survival and was focusing on suv's

Hey guys, it's been a bit, I've been busy working on my apartment complex..... Anyways, I never knew about this larger than MKS sedan that got scrapped? Any details on that? Was it RWD?

Hey guys, it's been a bit, I've been busy working on my apartment complex..... Anyways, I never knew about this larger than MKS sedan that got scrapped? Any details on that? Was it RWD?

MKS code# was D385

its big brother as E386

same platform so still F-Awd

guessing: the lack of an engine was part of why it died-out by the time the 3.5EB was ready

just my idea: the production MKS-compromise was more or less the big body with a slice out of the middle to fit the smaller wlb

+ probably a styling adjustment front & rear

MKS code# was D385

its big brother as E386

same platform so still F-Awd

guessing: the lack of an engine was part of why it died-out by the time the 3.5EB was ready

just my idea: the production MKS-compromise was more or less the big body with a slice out of the middle to fit the smaller wlb

I think there was also the issue of where they were going to build it. Even back then they were capacity constrained at CAP (AFAIK) and FRAP wasn't building Fusions yet. At that time the last sedan that was built there was the Mazda 6 (until 2013) and even then it's not the same platform. I suppose they could have built it at OAC in Canada, but I'm guessing they thought that Flex/MKT would be bigger sellers and eat up more capacity there on top of Edge sales which at the time were really starting to hit its stride.

I think Lincoln MKT was partly seen as the successor to the uber-large sedan at Lincoln. Probably the last thing Lincoln needs are more sedans, MKZ and Continental cover their customer well. It's possible Lincoln will reposition those products going forward and I can imagine they will only increase in size and class which might leave some room below MKZ for an entry near-luxury sedan.

In any case, Continental needs to remain the pinnacle brand or it gets watered down. It would be like creating a more luxury SUV above Navigator, it diminishes Navigator.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Funny, I saw an MKS limo the other night, and it actually looked pretty good. The extra length helped hide how tall the vehicle sits (given the platform).....makes you wonder how it would've looked slightly longer.

• Like 1

If I have to read many more of those double posts, I'm going to open another bottle! Sheesh![/quote

Bahahaha! ???? blame it on the administrative post limit that keeps telling me to wait 9 seconds, then I click add reply again after 9 seconds and it double posts!

That is because you posted it the first time. When you wait 9 seconds don't click again!

• 4 weeks later...

Alternatively - could this mystery vehicle replace MKZ and move slightly up in size from the current model, with next-gen Conti bumping up a bit, and a new model slide under them both. I guess that's not much different than what I said earlier

Isn't a model like the Explorer being considered for Lincoln?

I also know Akirby just bought an MKX, because his wife likes the high seating position blah blah blah..... I heard it more than I talked about RWD....... The rest of you don't drive Lincoln's do you? Akirby isn't the only one here, unless he has a bunch of different account names......

I've owned an MKX and an MKT. I'm looking at the Continental or possibly another MKX. With the new torque vectoring, RWD is outdated.

Funny, I saw an MKS limo the other night, and it actually looked pretty good. The extra length helped hide how tall the vehicle sits (given the platform).....makes you wonder how it would've looked slightly longer.

Now that's the funny thing because Ford could have easily built MKS on the longer 117.9" wheelbase and \

basically replaced the Town Car, switch MKT to a longer wheelbase Explorer and voila, two great Lincolns.

Now that's the funny thing because Ford could have easily built MKS on the longer 117.9" wheelbase and \

basically replaced the Town Car, switch MKT to a longer wheelbase Explorer and voila, two great Lincolns.

Hence why Lincoln sucks my friend...... Another moronic move and I'm sorry to say I believe it's Bill Ford's fault..... Lincoln and Ford went down when he took over big time in the 90's until now, when Mark built the Way Forward, but that sucked, because in all honesty they didn't think it through with Lincoln, just were thinking in the present, not the future. Had to kept the Lincoln LS and dramatically revised for a comeback I strongly feel it would've kept Lincoln relevant, along with revising the Town Car to be more modern, and potentially changing the platform. It lived until 2011, 5 years past the Way Forward introduction. Let's say they made the MKS on 117.9", which it absolutely should've been, we'd be looking at dramatically different profits for the better, a wider market cross shop. The MKZ was too old person looking, cheap cheap cheap. I just feel like there was a lot of mistakes that could've been avoided, and helped the company in the long run. Now, we have no waterfront grille, we have no RWD, big floaty vehicles, no V8's, no ultra chrome and wood trim, just a bunch of soft touch leather, which to me is over doing it, and frankly is a cost cutter.......

Seriously, go buy a Caddilac and shut up. Geez, you sound like a broken freaking record.

That very may be what happens, the CT6 is everything isn't and quite frankly can't be..... That would be the easy solution l, just go get a Cadillac, by why should a Lincoln guy have to go to Cadillac because his company can't produce the goods? That's just plain retarded, if any of you think this is a premium luxury brand that can compare and be cross shopped by anyone other than middle class, you're just as nuts as Alan was.......

Let's see.. GM plays catch up on all models. Benchmarking against current offerings, not future models of competitors. Lackluster appeal. A financial and business train wreck.

Then you have Ford that is developing class leading vehicles. Is financially sound and in many buyers short lists.

Maybe the Way Forward plan wasn't so bad after all.

You love the idea of stretching the explorer.

Stretching a vehicle, whether it is the MKS is not easy, and is certainly not cheap. It's not like building a limo. You'd need a boatload of new tooling.

Hindsight is 20/20, and whether a wheelbase stretch would've done much for sales is debatable, but I do think the longer wheelbase would've helped with MKS' looks....it was a tall vehicle with a relatively short wheelbase that also makes the vehicle appear taller than it is.

Hence why Lincoln sucks my friend...... Another moronic move and I'm sorry to say I believe it's Bill Ford's fault..... Lincoln and Ford went down when he took over big time in the 90's until now, when Mark built the Way Forward, but that sucked, because in all honesty they didn't think it through with Lincoln, just were thinking in the present, not the future. Had to kept the Lincoln LS and dramatically revised for a comeback I strongly feel it would've kept Lincoln relevant, along with revising the Town Car to be more modern, and potentially changing the platform. It lived until 2011, 5 years past the Way Forward introduction. Let's say they made the MKS on 117.9", which it absolutely should've been, we'd be looking at dramatically different profits for the better, a wider market cross shop. The MKZ was too old person looking, cheap cheap cheap. I just feel like there was a lot of mistakes that could've been avoided, and helped the company in the long run. Now, we have no waterfront grille, we have no RWD, big floaty vehicles, no V8's, no ultra chrome and wood trim, just a bunch of soft touch leather, which to me is over doing it, and frankly is a cost cutter.......

The whole damn company was about to go under. They had to prioritize a complete overhaul the Ford brand, otherwise there wouldn't be a Lincoln (or Ford), period. And no, refreshing the Town Car would not have done anything. You (as an enthusiast, not the company) can either continue to look at the past, or you can look at the present, with an eye toward the future, extrapolating what they are doing now (and the progress they've already made over the last couple of years) into the brand's future. It's not difficult to see success for the brand continuing its upward trajectory.

The fact you said "potentially" changing the Town Car's platform tells everything we need to know.

Hindsight is 20/20, and whether a wheelbase stretch would've done much for sales is debatable, but I do think the longer wheelbase would've helped with MKS' looks....it was a tall vehicle with a relatively short wheelbase that also makes the vehicle appear taller than it is.

The whole damn company was about to go under. They had to prioritize a complete overhaul the Ford brand, otherwise there wouldn't be a Lincoln (or Ford), period. And no, refreshing the Town Car would not have done anything. You (as an enthusiast, not the company) can either continue to look at the past, or you can look at the present, with an eye toward the future, extrapolating what they are doing now (and the progress they've already made over the last couple of years) into the brand's future. It's not difficult to see success for the brand continuing its upward trajectory.

The fact you said "potentially" changing the Town Car's platform tells everything we need to know.

Of course it would've helped..... Only a moron would think different, it's the smallest full size flagship luxury car ever...... Wtf does that tell you, potentially changing the platform? That's an ignorant statement you guys keep making, because if there was a complete overhaul of the car, there could've been a strong business case to keep it and just refine the platform vs building a total all new car.

First - knock off the name calling.

Second - flagship has nothing to do with size and besides it's just a marketing term. Means virtually nothing to sales and profits.

Third - let's see you name a single car (luxury or otherwise) that still uses a body on frame platform.