'18 Mustang Leaked-Drops V6

Wonder if the 3.7 will be phased out across the board... what's it left in - Transit and Lincolns?

MKT, MKX, Continental, Transit, Mustang, PIU

MKT is on the way out.

MKX will probably get 3.0TT during mid cycle update.

Continental 3.7 is livery special... I don't expect it to live very long once the retail side of the business is established and Ford simplifies the build combination.

Transit will surely follow F-150 to the new 3.5 at the next update.

PIU will keep 3.7 as long as the current gen Explorer is around... which is 2019?

Mustang 3.7 phase out? Sure makes sense if you assume Ford is not going to invest in a bunch of money to certify if with 10 speed auto in RWD application (or 9 speed FWD for that matter).

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

@atomcat....funny, I get into the octane discussion all the time, theres a catch 22 though....we don't get 93 here, but the difference in cost between 87 and 91 octane is usually 15 -20 cents....so, when I fill up my ST ( it takes about 12 gallons )...it costs me about $2.40 more...big deal, that's less than a double half caff milk soy with a double expresso shot that just unchains the hoon in me when behind the wheel and elicits nervous twitches and rapid eye blinking at stoplights ...but my MPGs also go up a couple of miles per gallon, so IMO it more than makes up for the difference and the car benefits from more Horsepower. Not only that, Ive never used anything other than 91 octane Chevron in my Bike, heads were off at 80000 and were as clean as new and didn't even need valve adjustment, I just hit 96000 miles...ZERO issues. Bike takes 4.2 gallons...that's 84 cents...its tough, but I can live with that...

Price difference between 87 and 93 octane gas here in CT is 40-50 cents/gallon depending on the brand and location!

The original argument was whether a reworked DI V6 with the 10 speed auto would match the performance

of the 2.3 EB without needing premium fuel? I think it's a question that Ford neatly avoids by keeping the

V6 Mustang as a limited base model.

I think that becomes less logical when we look at how GM manages the issue with Camaro's engine choices.

GM uses a 2.0 T as the base engine and then asks more $$ for the V6 option which does give better performance.

It's an interesting and contrasting situation but I have to wonder if the two companies are appealing to different sets

of buyers who have very different views on V6 engines and I-4 turbos..

Edited by jpd80

I remember when Ford completely eliminated the gas struts in their vehicles in the second half of the 2000's, even Lincoln's didn't have them. It was a time when Ford was heavily decontenting and cost cutting absolutely every part on a car. I know most Ford vehicles still don't have them and I know with further belt-tightening going on now they aren't likely to add them.

Although I understand the hood prop does look cheap. If you have ever been hit by a hood because the struts are weak or failing, you appreciate the prop. Plus customers don't care and won't pay to replace them. I actually like the aftermarket kits that add the struts and you can leave the original prop as a back up.

• Like 4

Although I understand the hood prop does look cheap. If you have ever been hit by a hood because the struts are weak or failing, you appreciate the prop. Plus customers don't care and won't pay to replace them. I actually like the aftermarket kits that add the struts and you can leave the original prop as a back up.

This is an old car problem, not a new car problem. It's a luxury, like any other item it will break but you don't remove features just to keep it from breaking.

Edited by BORG

This is an old car problem, not a new car problem. It's a luxury, like any other item it will break but you don't remove features just to keep it from breaking.

A heated steering wheel is a luxury item. Hood struts are a convenience item. Most owners do not open the hood. That said, mustang is a different story. I agree mustang should have hood struts. Especially on high performance models. However, I stand by that most mechanics are with me that the prop won't let you down. Ever have a Lincoln navigator hood fall on your back?

Most owners will not pay to replace. Plus these vehicles are not old. I'm talking 4-5 years old.

I can understand struts failing in 4 to 5 years is a problem especially for mechanics and it would seem to me that poor quality is the issue. Struts that last at least twice that long doesn't seem unreasonable to me, particularly for a Lincoln model. I would think the prop rod would be a pain to work around for mechanics. Just as a strut can fail, a prop rod can be bumped and let a hood slam down,

I've worked on every car I've ever owned and all have had a prop rod. Not one of them has EVER fallen down when I accidentally bump the rod.

They typically have a slot they insert into....it'd take some strange/unusual/just perfect bumping to have that happen.

As for the struts failing....knock on wood, my Flex is 8 years old and I've not had any problems with either of them. Of course now that I say something....

Apparently, all the cars that I have owned must have either had light hoods or strong struts. (2 T-birds, Lincoln LS, 3 Taurus', Lincoln MKS) I have NEVER had a hood strut fail and I raise the hood every time I wash my cars so that I can dry the seams and wipe away any dust under the hood. I put an aftermarket strut kit on my Ranger and it has been trouble free, also. Nothing screams cheap to me quite as loudly as a hood prop rod. Might as well use one for the trunk, too. Reminds me of using baling wire or duct tape to hold up the exhaust system.

Obviously, fordtech has seen them fail and he no doubt is under hoods more than I am so I respect his thinking. That doesn't mean that I will ever have a car with a prop rod, though! :)

I appreciate simplicity and prop rods are simple and effective and never wear out or need replacement. You also don't need springs to assist them. I just don't understand why some folks see it as cheap (even though it obviously is cheaper and that may have been Ford's motivation).

I would only consider it cheap if it didn't work so well.

Edited by akirby