Co-Pilot 360 Safety Suite To Be Standard

That ship sailed a long time ago and why would you not want one? Its built into the head unit.

Have a neighbor friend that had a tragic accident with their son. This is the type of technology that can help with this stuff. I use mine all the time.

I actually would like backup camera on my car, that's not the point... the federal government shouldn't be mandating these things... I should have the option... Everyone should, and for those people, who don't want it, can't afford it or don't value the added cost, shouldn't be forced to buy it.

I can do everything you just said except the dash cam.

I guess I'm way behind the times then! My newest car is my 10-year old Escape. I know the aftermarket is going big into Smart Start but I didn't realize Ford was there too... Last I heard the fanciest thing Ford key could do was stop your kids from speeding.

I guess I'm way behind the times then! My newest car is my 10-year old Escape. I know the aftermarket is going big into Smart Start but I didn't realize Ford was there too... Last I heard the fanciest thing Ford key could do was stop your kids from speeding.

It started with Lincolns a couple of years ago. You can remote unlock, see your tire, gas and battery status, locate it, schedule service, find parking, remote start, schedule a remote start in the future - lots of cool stuff.

I think sync connect and FordPass gives you most if not all those options on Fords.

• Like 2

I actually would like backup camera on my car, that's not the point... the federal government shouldn't be mandating these things... I should have the option... Everyone should, and for those people, who don't want it, can't afford it or don't value the added cost, shouldn't be forced to buy it.

Some people are too stupid or too cheap to buy some of these safety features. In the case of the backup camera, that can cost an innocent child his life. Just like seatbelts and airbags and tire pressure monitors. If I hit somebody and they’re not wearing their seatbelt and they die I could be charged with vehicular homicide. If you blow a tire you could hit other innocent drivers. It’s not always about protecting the driver, sometimes you need to protect others from someone else’s poor decisions.

But I do generally agree that less government interference is usually better.

That's ridiculous...

If the market wants backup cameras, the market can buy cameras. We don't need uncle sam forcing it down our throats.

Tell that to the kids and pets that are accidentally run over everyday, something my family has experienced so I know it's not uncommon.

I don't mean to be rude at all, but I see your vehicles are decades old, I suspect you are never going to pay for a new vehicle (which is smart) so eventually all these affordable used cars will be equipped with these cameras which is great!

Edited by Assimilator

Tell that to the kids and pets that are accidentally run over everyday, something my family has experienced so I know it's not uncommon.

His argument is not about whether or not backup cameras should be available, it's about whether or not the gov't should be mandating them. That's a political discussion, rather than a car discussion, and doesn't belong in this part of the forum, so I'll just leave it at that.

That ship sailed a long time ago and why would you not want one? Its built into the head unit.

Have a neighbor friend that had a tragic accident with their son. This is the type of technology that can help with this stuff. I use mine all the time.

Yep, friend of the family backed over his girlfriends 2 yr old daughter. Ask him his thoughts on backup cameras.

His argument is not about whether or not backup cameras should be available, it's about whether or not the gov't should be mandating them. That's a political discussion, rather than a car discussion, and doesn't belong in this part of the forum, so I'll just leave it at that.

Same argument ensued over seatbelts, collapsible steering columns, padded dashes....etc, etc, etc...

• Like 3

When seatbelts were mandated by the federal government in the 1960s, car manufacturers said it was an unnecessary intrusion in the marketplace and would drive up the cost of cars to the point that most people wouldnt be able to afford new cars. Now we cant imagine cars without them and only idiots would want to go back to the days (remember metal dashboards?) without those and other safety features (safety glass, air bags, etc.).

When car manufacturers were required by federal law (sponsored by U.S. Senator Robert S. Kerr) in the 1960s to put window stickers with a vehicles contents and list prices on new cars, Ford Motor Company in particular declared it would bring about the end of the auto business and probably result in bankruptcy. Waa, waa, we have to have safe vehicles. Get over it.

Edited by 1984Poke

When car manufacturers were required by federal law (sponsored by U.S. Senator Robert S. Kerr)

Right state, wrong Senator. It was Mike Monroney who got the window stickers--that's why they're called Monroney stickers. (Kerr might've been a co-sponsor, but it was Monroney's bill.)

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 1

Ah, yes, you are correct in that it was Senator Mike Monroney, not Robert S. Kerr (thanks for pointing that out). My Oklahoma History professor would dock some points from my grade for that. Ten lashes with a wet noodle for me....

Edited by 1984Poke
  • Like 1

If Alabama wants to make a law mandating reverse cameras and ass massagers in vehicles, good for them... But it is wrong for the federal government to mandate these rules upon the states and the people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The Feds have no business meddling with what we put in our bodies or our cars. It's sad that so many people in this country want the government to protect and care for everything in their lives.

• Like 2

The Feds have no business meddling with what we put in our bodies or our cars. It's sad that so many people in this country want the government to protect and care for everything in their lives.

I think the millions of people whose lives have been saved by federally mandated safety equipment would disagree with you.

• Like 3

If Alabama wants to make a law mandating reverse cameras and ass massagers in vehicles, good for them... But it is wrong for the federal government to mandate these rules upon the states and the people.

Writing standards for safety-related components, systems, and design features of motor vehicles like rearward visibility is not something handled by Alabama or other state governments. In the USA they are codified by the federal government in FMVSS, 49 CFR Part 571. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/part-571

The backup camera rule came from Public Law 110–189 passed in the U.S. Congress, not from a state legislature. https://www.congress.gov/110/plaws/publ189/PLAW-110publ189.pdf

• Like 1

Also:

Title 49 USC 30103 (b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108.

Click here

Code of Federal Regulation – Title 49, Volume 5, Parts 400 to 999 – Revised as of October 1, 2000

From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 49CFR571.108] [Page 236-307]

TITLE 49: TRANSPORTATION – CHAPTER V, NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

PART 571, FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS – Subpart B–Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards – Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;

• Like 2

Like airbags and ABS then?

This is a safety feature that has proven to save lives. Way of the world.

• Like 1

Writing standards for safety-related components, systems, and design features of motor vehicles like rearward visibility is not something handled by Alabama or other state governments. In the USA they are codified by the federal government in FMVSS, 49 CFR Part 571. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/part-571

The backup camera rule came from Public Law 110–189 passed in the U.S. Congress, not from a state legislature. https://www.congress.gov/110/plaws/publ189/PLAW-110publ189.pdf

3Vv2G6v.png