Road and Track:Here's What We Think the 2020 Ford Bronco Will Look Like

In the Bronco? Are you high? Theres no way

Eh...I'm actually on the fence. The Bronco had V8s (minus the Bronco II, of course), at least as options, and while it's being seen as something of a Wrangler competitor...putting recent "HEMI" motors into Wranglers has been relatively popular.

I wonder if Ford would seize the opportunity to offer a V8 when Jeep doesn't..?

Both. Why would they put a V8 in the midsize Bronco when A. The Ranger doesnt even get a V6, and B. The new Explorer and Aviator wont be getting one.

Again, Ranger doesn't get a V6 at launch, but that doesn't mean that they won't get one. It seems highly unlikely that it would never get one.

Somehow, though, I don't expect to see a Coyote in the Bronco (at least from Ford), but it would be way cool if they did.

How do you know the new explorer and aviator won’t get one? And I guarantee Ranger gets more engine options either before launch or within the first year.

I just think you’re making an awful lot of assumptions that may or may not be true. If it fits in a mustang it should fit in a Ranger.

How do you know the new explorer and aviator won’t get one? And I guarantee Ranger gets more engine options either before launch or within the first year.

I just think you’re making an awful lot of assumptions that may or may not be true. If it fits in a mustang it should fit in a Ranger.

I get your point about making assumptions, but why would Explorer/Aviator get a V8?

I get your point about making assumptions, but why would Explorer/Aviator get a V8?

Why not? The old BOF explorers offered a V8. And we don't know how much capacity Ford has with the V6 ecoboosts.

Not saying it's likely but I also don't understand why some are saying that it's absolutely impossible. We know the engine isn't going away so theoretically any RWD vehicle could use it.

I think it's more likely with Bronco because Ford is going after performance and also because of the heritage factor with Bronco, just like F150 and Mustang. But I agree it's more likely to be a V6 EB than the Coyote.

How do you know the new explorer and aviator wont get one? And I guarantee Ranger gets more engine options either before launch or within the first year.

I just think youre making an awful lot of assumptions that may or may not be true. If it fits in a mustang it should fit in a Ranger.

because T6 has never been engineered with a V8 in mind, and the new version wont either.

Remember that US Ranger is a piggy back of final update Gen 1 T6 global Ranger (not designed for V engines)

but Bronco, being a US lead development will probably spearhead next Gen T6 vehicles and could have

whatever engines Ford North America cares to fit.

Above is also the reason why Bronco isn't launching with Ranger.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I realize Ford likely will not offer it, but that would put it on my radar for sure. Waiting 1-2 more years to buy again. SC coyote F150 factory Lightning would be my first pick, but Ford is too wimpy to offer them again. Several Ford dealers are now offering tribute Lightning F150's. Coyote Bronco might get my money though, if Ford Man's up and builds them.

As an EB owner, I like it. By the way-took this shot today of my son's EB "In process". That 302 is from a 96 Mountaineer/Explorer GT-40 heads He is leaving the old two barrel on it in the short term-debating a Fitech.

Bob, have him take a look at the Holley Sniper 2300 EFI system....it is a direct bolt in to replace a tired Motorcraft 2100 series carb....just put one on my 1983 Mustang GLX convertible that we dropped a mildly warmed over 302 into and the throttle response is incredible...

Edited by twintornados

Bob, have him take a look at the Holley Sniper 2300 EFI system....it is a direct bolt in to replace a tired Motorcraft 2100 series carb....just put one on my 1983 Mustang GLX convertible that we dropped a mildly warmed over 302 into and the throttle response is incredible...

TT-Thx for feedback- how is it as far as the electronics? Supposedly the Fitech is pretty much self contained in terms of electronics?

TT-Thx for feedback- how is it as far as the electronics? Supposedly the Fitech is pretty much self contained in terms of electronics?

Electronics is self-contained and was pretty straight forward for my mechanic to install and set up. It was his first Holley system but he is pretty "up" on FI systems and he said it was a breeze for him...

And there is no transverse Coyote. I doubt there is room for one anyway on a less than full-sized engine bay.

There's also the question of a transaxle that can handle the output of the Coyote; the SHO's EB35 doesn't match the Coyote's output in either F150 or Mustang trim. They're obviously protecting something in the driveline, as it produces significantly higher output in the trucks.

There's also the question of a transaxle that can handle the output of the Coyote; the SHO's EB35 doesn't match the Coyote's output in either F150 or Mustang trim. They're obviously protecting something in the driveline, as it produces significantly higher output in the trucks.

Not only that, the software limits the torque even further to protect the driveline.

If T6 wasn’t designed to handle the torque and can’t be easily upgraded or it simply won’t fit then that would be a plausible reason that it won’t show up in the Bronco. But all I heard was “Nuh-uh”, “no way” with no reasons.

If T6 wasnt designed to handle the torque and cant be easily upgraded or it simply wont fit then that would be a plausible reason that it wont show up in the Bronco. But all I heard was Nuh-uh, no way with no reasons.

I think V6es are a given in the new Ranger, and looking at how much space there is around the Coyote in my F-150, and how close the new Ranger is in size to the F150, I'd be surprised if there isn't enough room for one in the Ranger.

My guess is that we probably won't see a Coyote-powered Bronco because an EB torque profile looks like a better fit for the Bronco's intended purpose. For a lot of offroading, low-end torque is more beneficial than high-end power...

because T6 has never been engineered with a V8 in mind, and the new version wont either.

I doubt it will get a V8, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't fit. The original Explorer was based on the Ranger and it was never engineered with a V8 in mind, but they still managed to fit one in it. The Tempo/Topaz was never engineered with a V6 in mind yet they still managed to fit one in it. The Coyote would fit into a Ranger/Bronco no problem. I mean it might be a little tight and require a few adjustments, but my point is they have fit engines into things that were never engineered for it in the first place.

• Like 1

I doubt it will get a V8, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't fit. The original Explorer was based on the Ranger and it was never engineered with a V8 in mind, but they still managed to fit one in it. The Tempo/Topaz was never engineered with a V6 in mind yet they still managed to fit one in it. The Coyote would fit into a Ranger/Bronco no problem. I mean it might be a little tight and require a few adjustments, but my point is they have fit engines into things that were never engineered for it in the first place.

That was also in a time where if you needed more power you went up in displacement. Now you need more power you up the boost or go with Electric assist. There isn't going to be a V8 in the Ranger/Bronco. No purpose for it; will drag down CAFE, be expensive, and have very limited sales potential. The next Ranger will incorporate the ability to have V6 in them though. The 3.0L Diesel will make a nice top of the engine for most ROW markets and the V6 Ecoboosts will give a great amount of power.

Edited by jasonj80

Anyone remember that 90s Accord, where they shoe horned a V6 into it, and doing so they had to lessen the nose a bit? Too lazy to look on Wiki but I believe it was that, first generation a V6 went in. Not to mention that weird 2.5L I-5 they squeezed into the first TL...

• Like 1