Ford refuses to use 9-speed GM's automatic transmission

Have we ever learned how much torque the GM 9 speed can handle? Is it possible that to beef up the gears and bearings to handle high torque it was necessary to convert the gearbox to an 8 speed? Or is it possible that it simply cannot be modified to handle higher loads and it was more effective to add speeds to the 6F? GMs only high powered front driver is the XTS and it doesn't use the 9 speed.

GM is calling it a 9T50-I'm guessing the 50 is the torque rating and the SHO/MKS Ecoboost used a 6F55...so assuming they are using same rating, it seems like it can.

I think part of the reason for the 8 speed is Ford is using alot more Turboed engines then GM at this point.

And Ford is so cost conscious now it would be surprising if they didn't share the new 8/9 speed design as much as possible. And if it can't handle all those different workloads then the design or requirements were flawed.

I find it hard to believe that they'd cut down the 9 speed to an 8 speed for durability, only to then develop ANOTHER 8 speed based on an old 6-speed design.

can't see 3 being cheaper to build than 1 -- NOR engineer

but

CAN kinda see a reason for the third being HYBRID-ready/optimized, for lower petrol-power(=~half!) and needing to be as light as possible

Edited by 2b2

Put me in the camp that says 3 different 8 speed transmissions doesn't make any sense.

I think the article maybe just splitting hair. The 3 different 8 speed transmissions could be just 3 different versions with different torque rating. Like how Ford has 4 different 6F versions but they are pretty much the same.

If we assume the GM-Ford JV FWD transmission is a further development of the existing 6F, then whether you subtract 1 gear from 9F or add 2 gears to 6F is just word play.

• Like 2

Ford already said it just didn't need the extra gear so it eliminated it - less parts, less cost. Same or better driveability.

Quite odd when the company has developed a 10R wouldn't you think?

I think drivability / less hunting in mid gears with the GM box was a big issue that Ford avoided

...and saved money with less complexity.. I think somebody at Ford made a call to avoid the

issue and just use one less gear.

I wonder if the change to 8-speed make the FWD box more like the 10R's design/components?

Mind you, GM justifies the extra gear as making the box feel smoother and more premium

and as you say, Ford didn't see the need for any of it over an 8 speed.

Edited by jpd80

Quite odd when the company has developed a 10R woudln't you think?

Not really. In moderate driving the 10R80 is a 8 speed anyway. It skips 2nd and 4th. With lighter weight FWD transverse vehicles the additional 2 speeds probably don't help as much as with RWD trucks and suvs that go up to 470 lb/ft or higher.

Not really. In moderate driving the 10R80 is a 8 speed anyway. It skips 2nd and 4th. With lighter weight FWD transverse vehicles the additional 2 speeds probably don't help as much as with RWD trucks and suvs that go up to 470 lb/ft or higher.

I can understand that and perhaps that shift skipping showed up a big differences with (FWD) Ecoboost engines on light cruise...

Edited by jpd80

I've noticed that too on my Mustang that it will often skip 2nd gear (and probably 4th too, I've noticed 2nd more, though) shifting up and down, depending on how much you're pushing the gas/brake, of course.

• Like 1

I can't read that article (exceeded my free limit apparently), but I'm sure it's all based on the same (potentially wrong) report.

This is when you open it in a different web browser! Im always over my limit then go to IE:)

• Like 1

If that was truly an issue, we'd still be installing a 4 speed.

It was specific to the initial 9 speed design in specific vehicles. Ford thought the 8 speed ratios worked better. 8 speed trannys are common. 9 and 10 speeds are not outside Ford and GM.