Ford May 2018 Sales - Up 1%

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2018/06/01/18-may-sales.pdf

Highlights:

• Ford Motor Company’s U.S. sales for May totaled 242,824 vehicles – a 0.7 percent increase
  • Fleet sales are down 4.6 percent based on order timing; sales totaled 79,028 vehicles in May
  • Our retail results are up 3.5 percent on sales of 163,796 vehicles; our average transaction prices are $3,400 higher than industry – at $35,800 per vehicle
  • The generational shift from passenger cars to SUVs continues with industry retail passenger cars sales estimated to be down 10 percent, while SUV sales are up 13 percent – playing into Ford brand’s leadership position in combined Trucks and SUVs, matching consumer preferences for these vehicles
  • Ford F-Series increased 11.3 percent, marking 13 consecutive months of year-over-year gains; sales of 84,639 pickups makes for the best May performance for F-Series since 2000
  • Retail sales of all-new Ford Expedition are up 41.8 percent, as inventories continue to improve. Expedition is averaging just 19 days on dealer lots
  • Ford Mustang sales are up 10.7 percent as the spring selling season heated up; sales totaled 8,739 cars last month
  • New Lincoln Navigator flew off dealer lots in May, with retail sales up triple digits; overall average transaction prices are exceeding $80,000, representing a $25,700 gain over year-ago levels

post-6726-0-94280800-1527860766.png

post-6726-0-94280800-1527860766_thumb.png

Lincoln needs some magic from something other than Navigator. MKC and Nautilus needs to get here stat. I wonder if some of those Navigator sales are coming from folks who may have bought a Conti? Buy a loaded Conti or get a very well equipped Select Navigator. Not much price difference there.

Edited by jcartwright99

Lincoln needs some magic from something other than Navigator. MKC and Nautilus needs to get here stat. I wonder if some of those Navigator sales are coming from folks who may have bought a Conti? Buy a loaded Conti or get a very well equipped Select Navigator. Not much price difference there.

And you are getting a heck of a lot more vehicle with the Navigator as well.

Thats an awfully big increase for Trucks considering the 2 weeks of no production. Anyone have an idea of what that did to inventory levels?

I was wondering the same thing. I thought for sure the two-week production pause would have effected the numbers in a bad way. But guess not...

Yes, they do need to get the updated MKC and Nautilus here as soon as possible. I think the Nautilus will go on sale by September/October if I'm not mistaken. I noticed the Expedition sales are slightly reduced compared to last year. I figured there'd be lots of people buying them, mostly from those trading in the old Expeditions. I'm wondering if most of prospective Expedition customers actually flocked to the new Navigators instead.

• Like 1

Thats an awfully big increase for Trucks considering the 2 weeks of no production. Anyone have an idea of what that did to inventory levels?

May 1 Ford had around 260K of combined F Series inventory, so probably just delayed customer orders.

New Lincoln Navigator flew off dealer lots in May, with retail sales up triple digits; overall average transaction prices are exceeding $80,000, representing a $25,700 gain over year-ago levels

Retail sales of all-new Ford Expedition are up 41.8 percent, as inventories continue to improve. Expedition is averaging just 19 days on dealer lots
Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

The 2 weeks of down time hasn't hit the dealers yet. It just happened.. takes more then 2 weeks to be built and shipped to dealers.

I think what has happened is Ford used the 2 weeks to push deliveries and clear the back log. I expect to see the downtime hit for June sales numbers.

Lincoln's sedan sales have really hit the brakes now, part of that is probably limiting incentives and aggressive lease deals if they are indeed the money losers in their fleet. Continental is fading almost as quickly as MKZ now.

Transit and F-Series really kept the company afloat, everything else is down. This is probably one of the last months for growth as Focus and C-Max start drying up over the new few months.

Wow - 85K pickups. That monthly volume sustained would put them over 1M units annually. And with the highest ATPs. Simply amazing.

And that's with the new RAM and Silverado, right?

Salesman left me a message that my 2018 F150 Lariat was built. Only a week after the first date given so they should be catching up.

• New Lincoln Navigator flew off dealer lots in May, with retail sales up triple digits; overall average transaction prices are exceeding $80,000, representing a $25,700 gain over year-ago levels

WOW!

Up 1% with fleets down 4.6% is good, but yeah, car sales have continued their free-fall.

The Continental was the most shaken model with the reduction of fleet sales. MKC is, without a doubt, the biggest success of Lincoln Motor, and it is not for being cheap, but Fiesta and ecosport would be the best sold by Ford. The Ford GT is having a lot of exported units, isn't it? Does anyone also know when Nautilus and MKC will debut in stores?

Edited by RadicalX

I agree, I was surprised by it.

According to the info on page 2:

Gross stock (including in-transit) for Trucks is:

May '18: 66 days

May '17: 83 days

April '18: 82 days

Dealer stock (on-ground)

May' 18: 65 days

May '17: 70 days

April '18: 65 days

So, gross stock was down 17 days compared to last May, and down 16 days compared to April. This would reflect the shut down affecting what's on the way compared to last month/year.

BUT, dealer stock on ground this May was the same as April, but down 5 days worth from last May.

We'll probably see the opposite results over the next month or two - where gross stock (in transit) will likely bump back up to normal (similar to last year) as production returns to normal, and dealer stock dropping while in-transit lull we see in this month's numbers kicks in.

I'm hesitant to believe the revised MKC and Nautilus will cause large jumps, but I'm sure they'll help. It does seem like they've "stabilized," though, after early drops.

I was wondering the same thing. I thought for sure the two-week production pause would have effected the numbers in a bad way. But guess not...

Yes, they do need to get the updated MKC and Nautilus here as soon as possible. I think the Nautilus will go on sale by September/October if I'm not mistaken. I noticed the Expedition sales are slightly reduced compared to last year. I figured there'd be lots of people buying them, mostly from those trading in the old Expeditions. I'm wondering if most of prospective Expedition customers actually flocked to the new Navigators instead.

Expy was heavily fleet dumped toward the end - it's why you saw such large increases with it despite it still being an old model. The numbers now, while similar/declining, have a lot more retail (more profitable) sales, plus capacity issues as well.

Lincoln's sedan sales have really hit the brakes now, part of that is probably limiting incentives and aggressive lease deals if they are indeed the money losers in their fleet. Continental is fading almost as quickly as MKZ now.

Transit and F-Series really kept the company afloat, everything else is down. This is probably one of the last months for growth as Focus and C-Max start drying up over the new few months.

Yeah, Lincoln mentioned they were reducing fleet sales, which has hurt the numbers for sure. It does seem like MKC and MKX have stabilized after sizable early drops (likely due to early fleet sales timing last year, if that's indeed the reason for lower numbers). MKT is MKT, and not worth discussing.

It's unfortunate to see MKZ and Conti down so much, but it's not surprising given the sedan market.

Ford is definitely living off the F-Series right now. That’s fine, but if the economy tanks again in the future that leaves them awfully exposed trying to sell that many $40-70k vehicles. Lincoln should probably dump the car lines just like Ford is doing. They are down in sales for the year over twice as bad as the Ford cars are at this point. MKC, Nautilus, Aviator and Navigator are probably the way forward. MKZ and Continental are both doing very poorly.

Ford is definitely living off the F-Series right now. That’s fine, but if the economy tanks again in the future that leaves them awfully exposed trying to sell that many $40-70k vehicles. Lincoln should probably dump the car lines just like Ford is doing. They are down in sales for the year over twice as bad as the Ford cars are at this point. MKC, Nautilus, Aviator and Navigator are probably the way forward. MKZ and Continental are both doing very poorly.

When the economy tanked before, did people stop buying more expensive vehicles and start buying cheaper ones? No, they stopped buying new vehicles altogether. SAAR dropped from 17M to 11M. The ones who are buying will still be buying mostly the same vehicles just in smaller numbers.

• Like 1

The economy tanked alongside higher gas prices which did drive small car sales. It also lead to the temporary downfall of the SUV. The automotive landscape is very different today with cheaper and more fuel efficient utilities everywhere. Ford is still transforming their SUV range to pickup where their cars left off while boosting the economy of their profit drivers (F-Series). Ford has an ambitious Hybrid program to increase economy across the board and hopefully make that technology more accessible with less compromising. Ideally Hybrids just become another engine choice with added benefits to the point nobody really thinks too much about them which is what I imagine Ford is trying to achieve. Either way with Ranger, EcoSport, Maverick, NG Escape, Focus Active and Hybrids/EVs everywhere Ford will eventually be well positioned to take advantage of any form of energy crisis across all of their products...just not at this moment. I think the time of looking at the cheap cars as the efficient cars is largely obsolete, there's cheap and then there are efficient cars.

Edited by Assimilator

The economy tanked alongside higher gas prices which did drive small car sales.

Small car sales tanked as well. SAAR went from 17M to 10M overnight in 2009. People didn't buy more small cars - they bought less of everything including small cars.

Gas guzzlers tanked a bit more but it's not like people just switched from big thirsty SUVs to small cars.

Corolla sales e.g.:

387,388[19] 2007 371,390 2008 351,007[22] 2009 296,874[25] 2010 266,082[28] 2011 240,259[31] 2012 290,947[35] 2013 302,180[39] 2014 339,498[43]

Yes, I do remember that high gas prices came first in 2007 (?) and then the economy fell apart after that in 2008

but during that time all car makers were reporting that people were holding onto their vehicles and just extending

their finance or lease payments until the economy got better.

I would expect finance and leasing to be bigger concern than gas prices, people will tolerate some increase

in fuel prices thanks to more efficient power trains but the moment interest rates begin rising, I think people

will react more to monthly payments..

Edited by jpd80