Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
silvrsvt

Toyota Poised to Kill Its V-8s, Replace Them With Turbo V-6s Within Three Years

Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Ford says hi....

 

Is Ford planning to kill its V8 engines too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not sure how this is going to play with the Tundra.  I group the Tundra buyer more like the Dodge truck buyer - they want;

a. Big V8 bragging rights.  (Even though the Ford 3.5 Ecoboost runs circles around them)

b. The in-your-face front grille. 

Can't think of any other reason to buy a Tundra.  Tundra buyers certainly don't legitimately test drive against a Ford F150 else Toyota wouldn't sell a single full size truck!

Edited by Kev-Mo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Can't think of any other reason to buy a Tundra.  

 

1.) Reliability rating is by far the best of any LD full size pickup truck

2.) It's assembled in Texas. :)

4xerg.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

 

1.) Reliability rating is by far the best of any LD full size pickup truck

2.) It's assembled in Texas. :)

 

 

1.) Sez who..

2.) Whoopie doo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

 

Is Ford planning to kill its V8 engines too?

 

no, but they've been using Turbo V6s in the F-150 that makes up more then 50% of its total sales

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, rperez817 said:

 

1.) Reliability rating is by far the best of any LD full size pickup truck

2.) It's assembled in Texas. :)

4xerg.jpg

 

 

Toyota fan boys are very strange.   They love and buy Toyota because they despise American designed and built trucks, then they spin to brag that somehow a Toyota is an American truck. 

 

The simple fact is:  America was not built on the backs of foreign trucks.

 

 

 

Edited by Kev-Mo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

The simple fact is:  American was not built on the backs of foreign trucks.

 

The simple fact is that all LD full-size pickup truck models currently available - Tundra, F-150, Ram 1500, Titan, Silverado, Sierra - are American trucks - designed, engineered, and assembled in the U.S.

 

 

 

Edited by rperez817

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

 

The simple fact is that all LD full-size pickup truck models currently available - Tundra, F-150, Ram 1500, Titan, Silverado, Sierra - are American trucks - designed, engineered, and assembled in the U.S.

 

 

 

 

You're forgetting one major thing. Those profits from the Titian and Tundra, don't stay in the US. I have no idea where Ram goes. Titan and Tundra are both bottom of the barrel as far as being competitive. The only redeeming factor for Toyota is you get the quality (real or perceived) of Toyota. The Titan is the value pick. Neither sell well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, rperez817 said:

 

1.) Reliability rating is by far the best of any LD full size pickup truck

 

Well, it should be.  They've been building the exact same truck for what, 10 years?  They should have the bugs worked out by now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

 

Well, it should be.  They've been building the exact same truck for what, 10 years?  They should have the bugs worked out by now!

 

Same for Camry, Corolla, Tacoma.   It's boring but it's a winning formula if you have loyal buyers.   I think Ford makes too many changes too quickly and that's costing them in warranty repairs and customer perception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

 They've been building the exact same truck for what, 10 years?  They should have the bugs worked out by now!

 

Yes sir fordmantpw, Toyota Tundra has been pretty much unchanged since 2014 and has been using the same V8 engines and transmissions since 2010.

 

There is a risk that Toyota Tundra reliability will decline with the new generation truck that's supposed to come out next year, though. When Toyota's other U.S. market pickup truck, Tacoma, was redesigned for 2016 and got a new V6 engine and automatic transmission, its reliability rating took a nosedive.

Edited by rperez817

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, akirby said:

 

Same for Camry, Corolla, Tacoma.   It's boring but it's a winning formula if you have loyal buyers.   I think Ford makes too many changes too quickly and that's costing them in warranty repairs and customer perception.

I had this discussion at work the other week; A co-worker complained because the F-150 is always changing and has way too many different grills and looks, and he's not a fan of the current design. I showed him the upcoming mules and he wasn't a fan of that either.  He's not a Ford hater either, he admits they make the best light duty PU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, probowler said:

I had this discussion at work the other week; A co-worker complained because the F-150 is always changing and has way too many different grills and looks, and he's not a fan of the current design. I showed him the upcoming mules and he wasn't a fan of that either.  He's not a Ford hater either, he admits they make the best light duty PU.


But F150 is the best example from Ford.  It changes every 3 years but the underlying platform is basically the same and just gets tweaked every 6 years.  And you get so many models and styles it’s easy to find something you like.  Or go aftermarket.  
 

By contrast Fusion will have 3 different platforms in 16 years if Fusion active/Mondeo debuts next year on C2.  Same for Edge.  CD3, CD4, C2.  In hindsight they should have skipped cd4 and waited for C2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, fordmantpw said:

 

Well, it should be.  They've been building the exact same truck for what, 10 years?  They should have the bugs worked out by now!

 

Didn't it come out in 2007?  (with a light refresh a few years later).

 

18 hours ago, akirby said:


But F150 is the best example from Ford.  It changes every 3 years but the underlying platform is basically the same and just gets tweaked every 6 years.  And you get so many models and styles it’s easy to find something you like.  Or go aftermarket.  
 

By contrast Fusion will have 3 different platforms in 16 years if Fusion active/Mondeo debuts next year on C2.  Same for Edge.  CD3, CD4, C2.  In hindsight they should have skipped cd4 and waited for C2.

 

You'd think someday they'd apply the F-150 approach to the rest of the lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, fordmantpw said:

 

Well, it should be.  They've been building the exact same truck for what, 10 years?  They should have the bugs worked out by now!

Toyota trucks really aren't used as work trucks either.....which certainly would affect reliability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 12:55 PM, jcartwright99 said:

 

You're forgetting one major thing. Those profits from the Titian and Tundra, don't stay in the US. I have no idea where Ram goes. Titan and Tundra are both bottom of the barrel as far as being competitive. The only redeeming factor for Toyota is you get the quality (real or perceived) of Toyota. The Titan is the value pick. Neither sell well.

Profits go to shareholders, whom live all over the world, including the US.

 

That also applies to parts manufacturers. Well, except the Chinese parts manufacturers that Ford, GM and Fiat like to buy from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

Toyota trucks really aren't used as work trucks either.....which certainly would affect reliability.

Just like most F150s, Rams, Silverados...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2020 at 3:28 PM, J-150 said:

Profits go to shareholders, whom live all over the world, including the US.

 

That also applies to parts manufacturers. Well, except the Chinese parts manufacturers that Ford, GM and Fiat like to buy from.

Where the "profits go" are not even on the radar of most buyers. That's why some don't even know the Tundra is made in Texas......

Edited by CKNSLS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 4:35 PM, rperez817 said:

 

Yes sir fordmantpw, Toyota Tundra has been pretty much unchanged since 2014 and has been using the same V8 engines and transmissions since 2010.

 

There is a risk that Toyota Tundra reliability will decline with the new generation truck that's supposed to come out next year, though. When Toyota's other U.S. market pickup truck, Tacoma, was redesigned for 2016 and got a new V6 engine and automatic transmission, its reliability rating took a nosedive.

 

It's an odd thing with Toyota when it comes to drivetrain updates - when they upgraded the Sienna to an 8 speed transaxle, it took them a couple of model years to work the bugs out and nail down the driveability aspects. I would not buy a Toyota product in its first (and perhaps second) year of a drivetrain upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×