Production Tesla Cybertruck Spied

rmc523

On 11/21/2023 at 5:07 PM, DeluxeStang said:

This is something I've been thinking about for years as well. We've seen Teslas out through crash tests, the material isn't deforming that much by the looks of things. That's good for durability I guess, but terrible for safety. Modern cars crumple not because they're poorly engineered or not built to last as some people say. It's because those crumple zones deform, and absorb a lot of the impact forces. If your truck doesn't absorb the impact, it's literally gonna kill some people. I know Tesla has some very stupid people running it, but they can't be this dumb can they? There has to be something we're missing. 

Because if we're not, that means this is a 700 hp heavy truck with sharp edges, terrible crumple zones, sketchy drive less software, and awful and unstable driving dynamics per the insider engineering report, and poor braking performance. Like, my God, this thing is just a rolling five car pileup. 

IIHS buys their test vehicles through dealers, (conventional sales, not donated)  so they may wait until there is sufficient numbers on the road.

What a joke of a vehicle. That promised 500 mile range? Down to 340 miles. The 14,000 lb tow rating? Nope, it's 11,000. The 40k starting price? Nope, it's 20k more now. 

I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle over promise and underdeliver as bad as the cybertruck has. Ford's t3 engineers are having a good laugh right now considering t3 was almost certainly engineered to beat the higher figures the CT promised when it was first shown. So it's gonna wipe the floor with the production CT. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Ford's t3 engineers are having a good laugh right now considering t3 was almost certainly engineered to beat the higher figures the CT promised when it was first shown. So it's gonna wipe the floor with the production CT. 

I agree DeluxeStang. Jim Farley stated that one category where Ford has strong potential to beat Tesla is in BEV pickup trucks. Plus, the current F-150 Lightning gives Ford first mover advantage. Lightning's industry leading "mind share" is evident in Autolist's survey data from a couple years ago.

Slide1.jpg

Nonetheless, Ford needs to take the competition seriously. Cybertruck's innovative design and features seem to be particularly appealing to younger people. Looking deeper at the Autolist survey data, respondents 35 years of age or younger were more likely to choose Cybertruck than F-150 Lightning. All other age groups preferred Lightning.

Slide5.jpg

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

I agree DeluxeStang. Jim Farley stated that one category where Ford has strong potential to beat Tesla is in BEV pickup trucks. Plus, the current F-150 Lightning gives Ford first mover advantage. Lightning's industry leading "mind share" is evident in Autolist's survey data from a couple years ago.

Slide1.jpg

Nonetheless, Ford needs to take the competition seriously. Cybertruck's innovative design and features seem to be particularly appealing to younger people. Looking deeper at the Autolist survey data, respondents 35 years of age or younger were more likely to choose Cybertruck than F-150 Lightning. All other age groups preferred Lightning.

Slide5.jpg

True, the cybertruck is radically different in terms of design, and has a bunch of tech, that appeals more to young people. The lightning comes from a brand that's more credible, and reliable, with better quality, and a far more expensive dealer and service network. It also is just an f-150 with an electric drive system. So the lightning is familiar, and trustworthy, so that appeals to older buyers. If the lightning has a weakness, it's that it's never really had that "I gotta have that, it's so different" quality to it, and that's by design. 

It sounds like t3 takes some good things about the lightning, but focuses far more on being an aspirational product than the lightning is. The lightning is all substance, no shock, the cybertruck is all shock, no substance, and t3 should be substance, and shock/wow factor blended together. 

The Cybertruck reveal had a "crash test" where they slammed the Cybertruck into a steel wall at 35 mph, and as many have predicted, the crumple zones are pretty much non-existent.  There was enough force transferred through the body that it snapped the rear axle.  I don't know how NHTSA even approves this for public roads at this point.  The sharp corners are a danger to pedestrians.  Add in the faulty FSD software and this truck is guaranteed to cause some gruesome accidents in the future.

Apparently the drag race with the Porsche was only an 1/8th mile, even through the video said it was a quarter mile.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RealTesla/comments/189g2l7/cybertruck_racing_the_porsche_911_was_only_a_18/

I think this will be Tesla's first flop of a vehicle.  Elon really overpromised and underdelivered on this one.

Edited by mustang84isu

Found the crash test video 

https://x.com/aidrivr/status/1730329405568995335?s=46

Comparison with F-150 Lightning

https://x.com/aidrivr/status/1730651572349304845?s=46

the irony of them being posted on the platform Elon owns is not lost on me lol. 

I can’t tell if the account is a Tesla Stan or if he’s legitimately trying to be objective but he does bring up a good point with the rear axle in one of his comments. Cybertruck has rear wheel steer so what we’re seeing could just be a tie rod breaking and not the axle itself. Also the comparison between it and the F-150 didn’t look all that different to my untrained eye save for the rear seat passenger in the Cybertruck that got yeeted into the back of the front seat. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

12 hours ago, mustang84isu said:

The Cybertruck reveal had a "crash test" where they slammed the Cybertruck into a steel wall at 35 mph, and as many have predicted, the crumple zones are pretty much non-existent.  There was enough force transferred through the body that it snapped the rear axle.  I don't know how NHTSA even approves this for public roads at this point.  The sharp corners are a danger to pedestrians.  Add in the faulty FSD software and this truck is guaranteed to cause some gruesome accidents in the future.

Apparently the drag race with the Porsche was only an 1/8th mile, even through the video said it was a quarter mile.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RealTesla/comments/189g2l7/cybertruck_racing_the_porsche_911_was_only_a_18/

I think this will be Tesla's first flop of a vehicle.  Elon really overpromised and underdelivered on this one.

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I can’t tell if the account is a Tesla Stan or if he’s legitimately trying to be objective but he does bring up a good point with the rear axle in one of his comments. Cybertruck has rear wheel steer so what we’re seeing could just be a tie rod breaking and not the axle itself. Also the comparison between it and the F-150 didn’t look all that different to my untrained eye save for the rear seat passenger in the Cybertruck that got yeeted into the back of the front seat. 

I can't believe Elon and his hardcore fans are treating this is a good thing. "Look how durable this truck is, it barely deforms in a crash!" They screech, while anyone who knows anything about car engineering and safety thinks, wow, you really engineered crumple zones out of your vehicle. They've taken a car back to the 80s in terms of safety, and act like it's the future. 

14 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I love how it starts to crumple and then BAM, the whole vehicle just stops, careening the passengers forward.

Has anyone seen photos of the rear seat headroom with a regular sized adult sitting back there?  I've seen video of people getting in and out and it looks cramped, but it is hard to find actual photos of a tall adult sitting back there.  It's probably better than the Model Y's third row which is only fit for a child or small adult, but it seems like the raked shape would sacrifice rear seat headroom quite a bit.

One of the things that has always surprised me about Teslas with a glass roof is that they don't offer a sunshade that retracts.  I have the pano sunroof on my Continental, and during the winter I usually keep the shade closed because the sun is often low enough to cause glare issues in the cabin, and it helps keep the cabin more comfortable when it is cold outside.  The pano roof window tint really doesn't help much.  With the Cybertruck having a raked window and potentially low headroom for rear passengers, I imagine that will get annoying fast when you have full sun blaring down and no way to control it.

• Like 1

Here's a video comparing the Cybertruck 35 mph crash with several other midsize pickups.  A pretty telling display of how poor Cybertruck's crumple zones are compared to the competition.  Elon jokes about how if you are in an argument with another car, you will probably win.  Your passengers might suffer spinal fractures or other debilitating injuries, but sure...you'll "win."

11 hours ago, mustang84isu said:

Has anyone seen photos of the rear seat headroom with a regular sized adult sitting back there? 

Marques Brownlee is 6ft 3. He can be seen here sitting behind the driver seat adjusted to his height. Anyone shorter than him should have no problem fitting in one.

*Based on my observation, the rear seat-hip point seems lower than the front seat hip-point.

cybertruck-rear-passenger-space.jpg

Edited by AM222
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2023 at 1:04 PM, mustang84isu said:

Has anyone seen photos of the rear seat headroom with a regular sized adult sitting back there?  I've seen video of people getting in and out and it looks cramped, but it is hard to find actual photos of a tall adult sitting back there.  It's probably better than the Model Y's third row which is only fit for a child or small adult, but it seems like the raked shape would sacrifice rear seat headroom quite a bit.

Carwow's video at 6:38 is a good example of Cybertruck rear seat headroom with a regular sized adult sitting back there.

Lots of interesting technical details for Cybertruck are in the documentation Tesla submitted to EPA and CARB. New Cybertruck EPA & CARB Certifications Spotted : r/teslamotors (reddit.com)

Highlights.

• Both trucks feature a nominal 816 V and 150 Ah pack making for a pack size of about 122.4 kWh, which is in line with current speculation of 123 kWh

• The Beast variant features two rear permanent magnet motors making 212 kW (284 hp) each while the front permanent magnet motor makes 206 kW (276 hp)

• The AWD variant has an AC induction motor in front and permanent magnet motor in rear rated at 226 kW (303 hp) and 222 kW (297 hp)

• Curb weights are 6669 lbs (AWD) and 6898 lbs (Beast)

Efficiency comparison.

Vehicle

30 mph

50 mph

70 mph

Rivian R1T Performance Dual Max (21")

151 Wh/mi

233 Wh/mi

351 Wh/mi

Rivian R1T Performance Dual Max (22")

172 Wh/mi

258 Wh/mi

384 Wh/mi

Rivian R1T All-Terrain Dual Large (20")

184 Wh/mi

273 Wh/mi

396 Wh/mi

Tesla Cybertruck AWD (20")

161 Wh/mi

272 Wh/mi

443 Wh/mi

Tesla Cybertruck Beast (20")

168 Wh/mi

278 Wh/mi

438 Wh/mi

Chevrolet Silverado EV 4WT (18")

188 Wh/mi

300 Wh/mi

470 Wh/mi

Ford Lightning Platinum (22")

177 Wh/mi

303 Wh/mi

493 Wh/mi

GMC Hummer EV Tri-motor (22")

218 Wh/mi

378 Wh/mi

617 Wh/mi

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Finally saw my first Cybertruck in the wild. May be an image of service vehicle and text

I don't think that is appropriate for such an awesome, world-changing vehicle.  If we don't all switch to electric vehicles in the next 3 years, the world will end.  Sir.

? 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, fordmantpw said:

I don't think that is appropriate for such an awesome, world-changing vehicle.  If we don't all switch to electric vehicles in the next 3 years, the world will end.  Sir.

? 

You forgot autonomous driving……

• Like 2