2024 Mustang Spied

18 minutes ago, ZanatWork said:

I didn't get to see the original BOSS Mustangs, but I was a car nut as a kid/teen just as cable went nuts on car racing in the 80s...and that meant getting to see the Roush SCCA/IMSA Capris, Mustangs, Merkurs, and Cougars for a good many years.  One of the original Roush Capris was being restored in a fab shop hereabouts a few years ago, I very politely asked to get pics....

I agree the 80’s and early 90’s were a great time to be a race fan. There was coverage on all forms of racing. 

I saw the Merkurs demolish the field at the St. Pete Grand Prix with little ol’ Pinto 4 bangers. 

Nowadays racing is not so good. Many series have a spec engine and that engine is a GM LS engine. 

That sucks. 

24 minutes ago, Stray Kat said:

I agree the 80’s and early 90’s were a great time to be a race fan. There was coverage on all forms of racing. 

I saw the Merkurs demolish the field at the St. Pete Grand Prix with little ol’ Pinto 4 bangers. 

Nowadays racing is not so good. Many series have a spec engine and that engine is a GM LS engine. 

That sucks. 

I concur.  I think the series directors, among others, lose sight of the personalities, loyalties, and bonds that come from racing fandom.  I'm largely a Ford guy because my Dad worked for Purolator in the 70's, had a couple of Mercury company cars done up as Wood Brothers cars...and, as a kid, I asked a zillion questions, leading to Mercury, relationship to Ford (Starsky's Torino!), and so on.  I've cheered for people like Pearson, Baker, Elliott, Martin, Schroeder, Ribbs, Pruett, Gordon, Allison, Trickle...and anyone ever in the Wood Brothers' #21.  It's a lifetime kinda relationship.

• Like 3

I think they’ve gotten too carried away with trying to make every race super close.  But I think people would prefer to see some teams dominate for a season - especially if it’s their team.  Give them rules at the start and let them tune to those rules and if one team or mfr dominates so be it.  Adjust the rules for next year.

What they do now is like having a NFL team start out 6-0 winning by 20+ points so they only give them 3 downs instead of 4 for the rest of the season.  Might as well give everyone the same spec car if that’s really what they want.

1 hour ago, Stray Kat said:

That sucks. 

Back in the 70's, MIS had an infield road course like Daytona, and lots of great racing series like Trans Am with Parnelli Jones and Mark Donahue, and Can Am with Bruce McLaren, Jim Hall, and so on. Back in those days, you could get real close to the action with nothing but a catch fence in front of you. We sure lived dangerously back then, spectators and drivers.

Waterford Road Course in Metro Dertroit still offers racing like that most of summer. Nothing but a catch fence in front of you and some very fast racing action. You just have to know where to go and when. Corvettes battling Mustangs, and much faster classes than that. 

When I was a member of the Porsche Club, I volunteered for the Club racing events at Gingerman in South Haven, MI. Lots of very fast Porsches, especially the Cup Cars. And the sounds they made were glorious. It was a great experience lining the heats up and making sure everything was safe before entering track.

So lots of people miss those days and recreate them all over America. They sure did in MI when I lived there. I keep meaning to get to Sebring and see some interesting racing events. Daytona for some reason doesn't interest me.

• Like 1

Guys every year I wait with baited breath for coverage on the Goodwood Festival of Speed in England. It’s an event I’d like to attend in person. 

Those guys and gals are really dedicated to racing as it was and the sights and sounds of those vintage machines are glorious to me. 

They have similar events in Monterey California and of course the Millers at Millewaukee. 

These are bucket list races for me. 

35 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

pretty sure that second caliper is just a parking brake. 

my wish is for something along the lines of a GT350 front end...WAY too many details going on in the current Mustangs front end...and don't get me started on that hood contour...

18 hours ago, stromberg2 said:

From what I heard, it's supposed to be drop dead gorgeous!!

I've heard ExplorerDude describe the sketches as gorgeous, but I'm just curious to know if you have an additional source giving you additional info. I've heard it's attractive, but not as agressive as what most people will want. I've heard it's kinda like a more retrained and elegant looking s550.