2024 Mustang Spied

What were really talking about is sales depth of BEVs, the premium pricing would suggest that Ford and GM want their BEVs to sell in fewer numbers but at higher profit while they continue to make strong profits from their ICE vehicles.

I am dubious of any quote that says by 2030 or 2035, a manufacturer will be 100% electrified products, there’s a lot of wiggle room in statements like that. It satisfies greenies because they equate electrified with BEVs but we know manufacturers like Fordalso view hybrids and PHEVs as electrified vehicles too. It’s more likely that we’ll see pure ICE vehicles end and be replaced some kind of developed PHEV that behaves like a super efficient range extended BEV.

Edited by jpd80
Autotext errors
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I'm surprised no one is talking about the new Multimatic GT3 Mustang coming to IMSA racing in 2024. Looks to be the replacement to the Ford GT. Lots of the GT3 goodies will be available to Mustang owners. GT3 will be V8 powered. 

Not to mention the fact that it appears to give us our first glimpse if the s650's proportions and general shape. Looks like it will have a longer hood then the s550. Like what I see so far.

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I'm surprised no one is talking about the new Multimatic GT3 Mustang coming to IMSA racing in 2024. Looks to be the replacement to the Ford GT. Lots of the GT3 goodies will be available to Mustang owners. GT3 will be V8 powered. 

Looks to be race only version for the moment but that could be purely because MultiMac is still building Ford GTs, 20 last month. The cloaked image on their website is intriguing and the fact that the Corvette will also be in GT3 too, everyone loves Red vs Blue…

Edited by jpd80

40 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Not to mention the fact that it appears to give us our first glimpse if the s650's proportions and general shape. Looks like it will have a longer hood then the s550. Like what I see so far.

Thinking about this a little bit (could be very wrong) a longer wheelbase and a larger footprint would make it easier to stay in front increasing CAFE limits. If there is a longer wheelbase, the Mustang could take on more of the Buckie Knudsen styled Mustang, still retro but homage to a slightly later version?

Once again, I’m overthinking this and probably not worth a response…….

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Thinking about this a little bit (could be very wrong) a longer wheelbase and a larger footprint would make it easier to stay in front increasing CAFE limits. If there is a longer wheelbase, the Mustang could take on more of the Buckie Knudsen styled Mustang, still retro but homage to a slightly later version?

You may be on to something here. That would tie in to the 6.8L V8 we keep hearing about but not revealed yet. Perhaps the engine could be slightly enlarged to the 429 ci for the BOSS 429 comeback with the S650's styling cues of the 1971-1973. You can see the longer nose and more slantback styling of the fastback in the covered GT3 racing car. I know it's a race car but it does kinda resemble the 1971-1973 big Mustang look.

53 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

You may be on to something here. That would tie in to the 6.8L V8 we keep hearing about but not revealed yet. Perhaps the engine could be slightly enlarged to the 429 ci for the BOSS 429 comeback with the S650's styling cues of the 1971-1973. You can see the longer nose and more slantback styling of the fastback in the covered GT3 racing car. I know it's a race car but it does kinda resemble the 1971-1973 big Mustang look.

Should be a lot of fun watching the Multimatic Mustang race. Still remember watching Parnelli Jones racing his Trans Am Mustang against Mark Donahue's Camaro at MIS back in the 70's. And lots of battles at Waterford between  rear winged V8 Mustang and C5 Corvette Z06. Believe it or not, if Mustang got the lead, ZO6 couldn't pass it on short, very technical Waterford course. And finally tube frame racing Mustangs winning at Belle Isle. Always fun. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Any S650 talk is worthy of a response ?

An increase in wheelbase is unlikely though, isn't it?

If S650 was CD6-based, as originally intended, I'd think it was a possibility, but with S650 now being a heavily updated S550 I don't see hard points or wheelbase changing from what we have now.

As for the race car, interesting that it'll be a Coyote based 5.0.  The current GT4 Mustang uses a cross plane crank n/a version of the 5.2. As the engines have to be production based, I guess this is another pointer that the 5.2 will die with the last S550 GT500.

5 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Any S650 talk is worthy of a response ?

An increase in wheelbase is unlikely though, isn't it?

If S650 was CD6-based, as originally intended, I'd think it was a possibility, but with S650 now being a heavily updated S550 I don't see hard points or wheelbase changing from what we have now.

As for the race car, interesting that it'll be a Coyote based 5.0.  The current GT4 Mustang uses a cross plane crank n/a version of the 5.2. As the engines have to be production based, I guess this is another pointer that the 5.2 will die with the last S550 GT500.

He might be onto something, though, with CAFE requirements.  A longer wheelbase and wider track would ease the mpg requirements.  I’m sure Ford thought of that and has done the math to figure out if changing the wheelbase and or track is worth the cost.  Some extra legroom isn’t going to adversely affect sales.  A wider track should help handling.  Both would help differentiate it from the current version.  Throw in the lower CAFE requirements and increasing the footprint becomes more likely.  We have seen it from other manufacturers.

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I don't know it the wheelbase is any longer, the roofline looks a little more curved. Which would make sense if they kept the size the same, but made the hood longer. If the a-pillar was pushed further back, in theory, the roof would have to be slightly more upright.

16 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

God, I hope it doesn't look too close to the 1971-73 stangs, those things were total boats that looked less like a muscle car and more like a luxury car.

• Like 2

This nugget was in an article about Ford's earnings for 2021: 

Not slowing down on ICE vehicles

Ford, however, has no plans to curb production of its gasoline-powered vehicles.

“We continue to see a lot of opportunity in the ICE business,” said Lawler, who called it a “strategic advantage.”

Farley noted the company would increasingly focus its ICE business around products with passionate owners, like Bronco SUVs or Mustang sports cars.

That does not sound to me like Ford intend to wind down the ICE Mustang any time soon.

Edited by Harley Lover
https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-earnings-q4-net-income-swings-123-billion-2020-loss?utm_source=breaking-news&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20220203&utm_content=hero-headline
  • Like 4

Good find, thank you!

Indeed, I have high confidence S650 will keep it's Ecoboost & Coyote engines (with the addition of hybrid electrification) for at least the duration of S650's production run (8 years?)

The question will then be would there still be enough demand for an ICE S750 or will that be purely a full EV. The S550/S650 platform would be pretty old by 2030 and my assumption is a full EV Mustang would require a unique platform not shared with S650. Perhaps Ford could, if ICE demand is still there, continue to build an ICE S650 and EV S750 concurrently, although I think the chances are slim.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

Perhaps Ford could, if ICE demand is still there, continue to build an ICE S650 and EV S750 concurrently, although I think the chances are slim.

Yes sir Twin Turbo, chances for simultaneous production of S650 and S750 in that timeframe are very slim for sure. By the time S750 is introduced, regulations that ban the sale of new ICE powered vehicles in several markets where Mustang is currently sold will be imminent, or already in effect.

A more likely scenario is that Ford will get an early start with BEV Mustang sales by using S650 for that purpose midway in its product lifecycle. S750 will then subsequently become the "next gen" BEV Mustang. Similar to how Ford is doing things with F-150 Lightning.

Autoline Daily (I had forgotten the original source) said the Mustang EV would debut in 2028. If that date is correct, I would bet that there will be a 2-3 overlap. Dodge is supposedly coming out with both an ICE and EV Challenger in 2024 or 25. The ICE version would have a supercharged I-6 instead of a V8.

1 hour ago, AGR said:

Autoline Daily (I had forgotten the original source) said the Mustang EV would debut in 2028. If that date is correct, I would bet that there will be a 2-3 overlap. Dodge is supposedly coming out with both an ICE and EV Challenger in 2024 or 25. The ICE version would have a supercharged I-6 instead of a V8.

That commentary was from a year ago, I suspect that Ford had penciled in that date as a minus seven years from delivery. Ford has been long criticise about its lengthy research and development of new products with Hackett charging a team with shortening inception to delivery time. If the cash is flowing like we suspect, a GE2 BEV Mustang coupe and Utility could be on the cards a lot sooner than 2028.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

That commentary was from a year ago, I suspect that Ford had penciled in that date as a minus seven years from delivery. Ford has been long criticise about its lengthy research and development of new products with Hackett charging a team with shortening inception to delivery time. If the cash is flowing like we suspect, a GE2 BEV Mustang coupe and Utility could be on the cards a lot sooner than 2028.

Agreed; my point was that the ICE version and the EV version will likely be sold side by side for several years just like the F-Series and other Ford icons.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 7:22 PM, FordBuyer said:

Should be a lot of fun watching the Multimatic Mustang race. Still remember watching Parnelli Jones racing his Trans Am Mustang against Mark Donahue's Camaro at MIS back in the 70's. And lots of battles at Waterford between  rear winged V8 Mustang and C5 Corvette Z06. Believe it or not, if Mustang got the lead, ZO6 couldn't pass it on short, very technical Waterford course. And finally tube frame racing Mustangs winning at Belle Isle. Always fun. 

I didn't get to see the original BOSS Mustangs, but I was a car nut as a kid/teen just as cable went nuts on car racing in the 80s...and that meant getting to see the Roush SCCA/IMSA Capris, Mustangs, Merkurs, and Cougars for a good many years.  One of the original Roush Capris was being restored in a fab shop hereabouts a few years ago, I very politely asked to get pics....

• Like 1