June '23-Sales Report

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Escape had a big jump. Looks like that front end redesign is paying off. 

Chips and other supplies are starting to stabilise as well, allowing Ford to build more vehicles and fill orders. Its good to see some normal production and supply coming back, F Series averaged over 70,000 sales per months which should be a huge relief for Ford as that basically ensures that Q2 will be cash positive.

Edited by jpd80

Great news that Ford's BEV sales were up 35.5% in June. Sounds like the retooling of CSAP for Mustang Mach-E and the resolution of battery issues for F-150 Lightning in late Q1 and early Q2 are paying off.

GM outsold Ford with BEV in both Q2 2023 and January - June 2023, though. Hopefully Ford ramps up BEV production dramatically in the 2nd half of this year and achieves its goal of 600,000 BEV run rate for calendar year 2023.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:
1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Great news that Ford's BEV sales were up 35.5% in June. Sounds like the retooling of CSAP for Mustang Mach-E and the resolution of battery issues for F-150 Lightning in late Q1 and early Q2 are paying off.

GM outsold Ford with BEV in both Q2 2023 and January - June 2023, though. Hopefully Ford ramps up BEV production dramatically in the 2nd half of this year and achieves its goal of 600,000 BEV run rate for calendar year 2023.

That sounds extraordinarily optimistic to me. Ford would need to climb a very steep ramp, indeed. Looking at the production by plant to date, there have been 46,228 Mach-e’s and 8757 Lightnings produced, and 2019 e-Transits, with about half of the total sold.To reach 600k BEVs they need to build about 545,000 more before New Year's Day, or about 90,800 units per month from those three plants. Maximum monthly production at Dearborn Truck so far has been 34,230 units in May and for Cuautitlan 13,369 Mach-e’s. Even if Dearborn went to 100% lightning production and Cuautitlan and KCAP doubled production, Ford would still be quite short of 600k for the year. I am not aware of any all new BEV’s coming online this year, and this is a contract year.

I am sure production will increase for both lines, and would be happy to see a 50% increase in overall BEV sales YOY, but 600k ain’t gonna happen until Blue Oval City is fully operational, IMO.

Edited by Chrisgb
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

That sounds extraordinarily optimistic to me. Ford would need to climb a very steep ramp, indeed. Looking at the production by plant to date, there have been 46,228 Mach-e’s and 8757 Lightnings produced, and 2019 e-Transits, with about half of the total sold.To reach 600k BEVs they need to build about 545,000 more before New Year's Day, or about 90,800 units per month from those three plants. Maximum monthly production at Dearborn Truck so far has been 34,230 units in May and for Cuautitlan 13,369 Mach-e’s. Even if Dearborn went to 100% lightning production and Cuautitlan and KCAP doubled production, Ford would still be quite short of 600k for the year. I am not aware of any all new BEV’s coming online this year, and this is a contract year.

Not 600k sales for 2023.  600k run rate.  Meaning 50k monthly sales.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Not 600k sales for 2023.  600k run rate.  Meaning 50k monthly sales.

Also 600K run rate was worldwide not US. Puma and EU Explorer are launching later this year so it's possible we may get close. With MACH E now back to normal delivery and growing with additional capacity, it's reasonable to think they can hit 20~25k EV deliveries a month in the US soon. And if EU kicks in with 10-15k a month in Transit, Transit Custom, Transit Courier, MACH E, Puma, and Explorer, you are almost there.

I think if Ford misses this target it will be due to lack of progress being made in China.

• Like 3

Glad to see E-Series doing so well.  Sales growth suggests planned upgrade is justified.  Hope it is significant.

Not sure I understand second-quarter difference between Mach-E sales and manufacturing.  What limited sales?

3 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Glad to see E-Series doing so well.  Sales growth suggests planned upgrade is justified.  Hope it is significant.

Not sure I understand second-quarter difference between Mach-E sales and manufacturing.  What limited sales?

Ford shut down the plant for a few months to upgrade it (increase capacity). So delivery fell behind since most of Mach E sales is build to order.

Ford also announced Mach E will launch in several export markets later this year which coincides with production bump that is happening now that won't translate into higher sales in the US.

Edited by bzcat
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Those Tacoma numbers are just unbelievable,,,,,

HRG

I hope Ford will find a way to dramatically increase Ranger production.They have been a great truck and with enough numbers, would stand up to Tacoma.

I've read the comments on BOF over the years, that one of the main reasons Ford shipped the tooling here from OZ was ultimately for the Bronco, and Ranger is just a placeholder; build a few now and then. The all-new 2024 Tacoma could slow Ranger enough that It would become untenable to continue with it. I wonder if that is not the plan anyway - roll over on the runt of the litter and raise the other pup (Bronco). For 2024, Ranger model and option package strategy has gotten more bizarre, and they dropped the SuperCab/6ft box, (Coloranyon did, too) while Tacoma offers that and a crew cab/ 6ft box option on the SR 5. Complicated, A lot of changes and money spent to on a model that's been selling  well under 100k/yr for four out of the five years it's been back.

Toyota is planning a Maverick competitor  based on their TNGA platform which underpins the Rav4 and Camry. Maverick is poaching a lot of sales from Toyota and others. Dealers have reported a lot of Rav 4 trade-ins for Mavericks, and Toyota won't sit still and watch customers leave the fold.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rmc523 said:

image.thumb.png.c0e5f782d49754464e2605949c0b2902.png

image.thumb.png.8011fe6f9f94995a66b9a5dbf9091243.png

Nissan Frontier sales aren't shown- June: 5,812, YTD:34,139 Honda Ridgeline also outsold Ranger In June: 4,678 and  YTD: 27,430 Yeah, yeah the Ridgeline isn't really a truck; all the more embarrassing. Ranger did trounce the GMC Canyon by nearly double though.

"Lead follow or get out of the way!" -former Ford exec.

59 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

I hope Ford will find a way to dramatically increase Ranger production.They have been a great truck and with enough numbers, would stand up to Tacoma.

I've read the comments on BOF over the years, that one of the main reasons Ford shipped the tooling here from OZ was ultimately for the Bronco, and Ranger is just a placeholder; build a few now and then. The all-new 2024 Tacoma could slow Ranger enough that It would become untenable to continue with it. I wonder if that is not the plan anyway - roll over on the runt of the litter and raise the other pup (Bronco). For 2024, Ranger model and option package strategy has gotten more bizarre, and they dropped the SuperCab/6ft box, (Coloranyon did, too) while Tacoma offers that and a crew cab/ 6ft box option on the SR 5. Complicated, A lot of changes and money spent to on a model that's been selling  well under 100k/yr for four out of the five years it's been back.

Toyota is planning a Maverick competitor  based on their TNGA platform which underpins the Rav4 and Camry. Maverick is poaching a lot of sales from Toyota and others. Dealers have reported a lot of Rav 4 trade-ins for Mavericks, and Toyota won't sit still and watch customers leave the fold.

It was never a placeholder from a production standpoint. They have and will easily sell over 100k, maybe 125K.  There will be a Supercab and a tremor.  You conveniently forgot the Raptor.  They don’t want Tacoma numbers because they don’t have that much capacity and they don’t want to lower prices too much.  This isn’t a bench race for bragging rights.  It’s a business.

1 hour ago, Chrisgb said:

I hope Ford will find a way to dramatically increase Ranger production.

Same here. Pickup trucks represent Ford's greatest product strength. Hopefully the steep decline in Ranger sales for the U.S. last quarter is just a temporary blip as P703 Ranger is introduced here.

It would also be nice if Ford introduces BEV Ranger (Lightning?) before GM, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda come out with their BEV midsize pickup trucks.

30 minutes ago, akirby said:

It was never a placeholder from a production standpoint. They have and will easily sell over 100k, maybe 125K.  There will be a Supercab and a tremor.  You conveniently forgot the Raptor.  They don’t want Tacoma numbers because they don’t have that much capacity and they don’t want to lower prices too much.  This isn’t a bench race for bragging rights.  It’s a business.

maybe 125K.  Hahahaha!  Ranger Raptor is being allocated at 1 per dealer, so that <4K isn't going to move the needle much.

HRG

15 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Those Tacoma numbers are just unbelievable,,,,,

HRG

I know you're talking about the quarterly numbers vs. the others, but I realized just now that there was an error in the Tacoma YTD figures, clearly the 2023 YTD figure is a direct copy of the q2 figure and didn't have the Q1 added in.  Everything else should be right, though.  I'll have to fix it later.

2 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Is there still no data by hybrid model?  Sales and growth were both very good; it seems Ford would highlight hybrid success a bit more.

because hybrids aren't "cool".  It's all about BEVs, even if hybrids are an excellent middle ground to transition.

1 hour ago, Chrisgb said:

Nissan Frontier sales aren't shown- June: 5,812, YTD:34,139 Honda Ridgeline also outsold Ranger In June: 4,678 and  YTD: 27,430 Yeah, yeah the Ridgeline isn't really a truck; all the more embarrassing. Ranger did trounce the GMC Canyon by nearly double though.

"Lead follow or get out of the way!" -former Ford exec.

I didn't include them because they've largely been irrelevant in the past, so I just included the usual major players.

If enough people want them in, I can add them.  Otherwise, I'll leave it as-is

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

maybe 125K.  Hahahaha!  Ranger Raptor is being allocated at 1 per dealer, so that <4K isn't going to move the needle much.

HRG

They were selling 100k in 2019 pre Covid and there are numerous upgrades beyond Raptor so 125k will be easy if they can get the parts.