2025 Mustang GTD Coming with 800+ HP and Rear Mounted Transaxle for $300K

49 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not a rolling chassis.  This is a Volvo polestar body in white.  It’s nothing but the shell.

image.thumb.png.96f94a1c2b97e6ce12d61b9b5c7951db.png

Ford will probably ship the (body in white) shell to Multimatic but probably without the rear quarter skins (that becomes carbon fiber).
Looks like Ford stamps the entire side in one piece, so a custom stamping minus the rear quarter?
ford-mustang-factory-tour-offers-you-a-g

I'll be real, I think I was too hard on this car when it was first revealed. I think it was a combination of just being in a sour mood due to some negative personal news I had received at the time, combined with the sticker shock of seeing a 300k mustang. After a few days, to think about it, I think this will go down as the best, or one of the best muscle cars of all time. In 50 years, this car will be viewed in a similar fashion to how a '70 Barracuda or Boss 429 is viewed now.

It's a much better car than both of those, but I mean the fact that it's the coolest take on a muscle car at the time, and one of the best cars brands could make at the time. I'm curious to see how these things do on the second hand market. I kinda want them to depreciate, purely due to the fact that I want one ?.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AM222 said:

Ford will probably ship the (body in white) shell to Multimatic but probably without the rear quarter skins (that becomes carbon fiber).
Looks like Ford stamps the entire side in one piece, so a custom stamping minus the rear quarter?
ford-mustang-factory-tour-offers-you-a-g

2024-Ford-Mustang-GTD-19.jpg

The front and rear suspension are parts of a subassembly  module that may be easier attaching to the shell at Flat Fock to transport as a rolling chassis

Edited by jpd80

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Not a rolling chassis.  This is a Volvo polestar body in white.  It’s nothing but the shell.

image.thumb.png.96f94a1c2b97e6ce12d61b9b5c7951db.png

I haven’t seen the body shop process at FRAP but I would imagine they have a process in place for building the body without the outer bodyside just for this purpose. I don’t remember seeing anything about the roof being carbon fiber so that tells me the steel roof panel is too integral to the structure for it to be omitted. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

2024-Ford-Mustang-GTD-19.jpg

The front and rear suspension are parts of a subassembly  module that may be easier attaching to the shell at Flat Fock to transport as a rolling chassis

I very much doubt these be rolling chassis leaving Flat Rock. I’m not even sure if they will go through the paint shop. When I worked there I did see GT cars with full roll cages in paint shop the one time I got loaned out to that department so it is technically possible, but if the carbon fiber panels are to be installed maybe it only gets the e-coat before being pulled off the line and prepped for shipping to Multimatic. 

21 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I haven’t seen the body shop process at FRAP but I would imagine they have a process in place for building the body without the outer bodyside just for this purpose. I don’t remember seeing anything about the roof being carbon fiber so that tells me the steel roof panel is too integral to the structure for it to be omitted. 

Correct fuzzy, I don’t see any reason whay GTD couldn’t be partially assembled without the carbon fibre front wings hood and nose clip. The front and rear power train and suspensions could be loaded from beneath as completed modules, just like on the regular Mustangs, allowing semi finished vehicles to be shipped to MultiMac for completion and finishing touches.

Building one in ten mustangs this way would be as easy as accomodating the international RHD version of the Mustang GT. The whole purpose of using Mustang is to take advantage of the production process that’s much quicker than building a carbon fibre Ford GT at MultiMac.

Edited by jpd80

51 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Correct fuzzy, I don’t see any reason whay GTD couldn’t be partially assembled without the carbon fibre front wings hood and nose clip. The front and rear power train and suspensions could be loaded from beneath as completed modules, just like on the regular Mustangs, allowing semi finished vehicles to be shipped to MultiMac for completion and finishing touches.

Building one in ten mustangs this way would be as easy as accomodating the international RHD version of the Mustang GT. The whole purpose of using Mustang is to take advantage of the production process that’s much quicker than building a carbon fibre Ford GT at MultiMac.

I think you’re overestimating the number of stock parts here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

No. From what I can tell, the only thing FRAP will be providing is the body shell. 

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Carbon Fiber panels.

2025-ford-mustang-gtd.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No. From what I can tell, the only thing FRAP will be providing is the body shell. 

Yes, the more I see, the more I realise that apart from the bare shell, this vehicle will be assembled by MultiMac 

There’s much that needs to be done properly and that takes time to get the details right.

Edited by jpd80

On 8/18/2023 at 1:00 PM, akirby said:

There are 3 groups.

Its just a mustang no matter what you do to it or how good it is and a mustang should never ever cost that much

They didn’t build what I wanted them to build

It’s a fantastically executed sports car with superior performance that will compete with the best of Europe and they’ll sell all they make.

I'm in door #1. The wow factor for me was back in the fall of 1964. I turned 15, at the time it was the Right Of Passage age in MN when you could get a learner's permit. Beatlemania was in full swing and the wizards at the Ford Motor Company had morphed a stupid (US) Falcon, into a sexy, affordable car that was conceivable, if not practical, to buy I while living with my parents and working part time at a gas station for $1.56/hr. So the original concept (stigma?) of a church lady's sedan turned into an insurable sporty car is what still stays with me. The D for me is akin to the Ford GT; not really built by Ford, fun to look at other people's, and likely to spend most of iit's life in a climate controlled garage.

58 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

I'm in door #1. The wow factor for me was back in the fall of 1964. I turned 15, at the time it was the Right Of Passage age in MN when you could get a learner's permit. Beatlemania was in full swing and the wizards at the Ford Motor Company had morphed a stupid (US) Falcon, into a sexy, affordable car that was conceivable, if not practical, to buy I while living with my parents and working part time at a gas station for $1.56/hr. So the original concept (stigma?) of a church lady's sedan turned into an insurable sporty car is what still stays with me. The D for me is akin to the Ford GT; not really built by Ford, fun to look at other people's, and likely to spend most of iit's life in a climate controlled garage.

To be fair, it is taking on cars that cost the better part of a million, and it doesn't really share much with a normal mustang, like at all. I almost look at this thing as the '05 Ford GT successor in the sense that it blends that line between muscle car brute and supercar finesse quite well.

Time will tell how these things do. I'm guessing 10 years from now, they're either gonna become million dollars cars, or it's gonna be a situation like the Lexus LFA or '05 Ford GT where no-one bought them for a time, so the value craters. 

• Like 1

Does anyone else get the vibe the people working on this project were at least slightly inspired by the 2014 mustang in NFS? Ford created that car specifically for the film, and within the movie, it was meant to be this end all be all to mustangs, a beast capable of 230 mph. Basically the idea of merging a supercar with a muscle car.

IMG_20230820_112055.jpg

Meanwhile at GM, Camaro is still slated for execution next year. 

I think any complaints about what Ford is doing with Mustang is misplaced. Farley is doing exactly what Ford should be doing... keep elevating the Mustang brand and keep it relevant. 

13 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Meanwhile at GM, Camaro is still slated for execution next year. 

I think any complaints about what Ford is doing with Mustang is misplaced. Farley is doing exactly what Ford should be doing... keep elevating the Mustang brand and keep it relevant. 

You can tell by the public comments that the haters don’t have a clue how this thing is built or what it should be capable of performance wise.  Claiming a modded GT will be just as fast.  The misinformation kills me.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, akirby said:

You can tell by the public comments that the haters don’t have a clue how this thing is built or what it should be capable of performance wise.  Claiming a modded GT will be just as fast.  The misinformation kills me.

Yeah, it's literally competing with million dollar cars in some cases. This thing will go down as one of the best muscle cars of all time, some people wanna hate to hate. I'm open about being a little put of by the price at first, but after a few hours, I was like, it's  actually a solid value for what it offers. 

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Like 2

It may be one of the greatest muscle cars of all time, but the Mustang is too damn big and heavy to be amongst the greatest sports cars of all time, even after some steel gets replaced with carbon fiber. 800 horses give massive bragging rights, but probably less will get to the ground that the ZO6's horses and the Z06 is lighter. Keeping the GTD headed in the intended direction may be a challenge too, with the heaviest parts of the powertrain at opposite ends of the car. But heck, we may never know where exactly this Mustang sits in the performance car pecking order, as it's not homologated for racing and if Ford thinks it's an embarrassment, they just won't let the press do a full road test and let the bench racers inflate the GTDs performance with every retelling...

This is at best a $200,000 car, and only if the buyer is a Ford fanatic with the blinders on to everything else. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

But heck, we may never know where exactly this Mustang sits in the performance car pecking order, as it's not homologated for racing and if Ford thinks it's an embarrassment, they just won't let the press do a full road test and let the bench racers inflate the GTDs performance with every retelling...

Are you serious?

Its the road legal version of this with more HP

https://www.ford.com/performance/mustang-gt3/

52 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

It may be one of the greatest muscle cars of all time, but the Mustang is too damn big and heavy to be amongst the greatest sports cars of all time, even after some steel gets replaced with carbon fiber. 800 horses give massive bragging rights, but probably less will get to the ground that the ZO6's horses and the Z06 is lighter. Keeping the GTD headed in the intended direction may be a challenge too, with the heaviest parts of the powertrain at opposite ends of the car. But heck, we may never know where exactly this Mustang sits in the performance car pecking order, as it's not homologated for racing and if Ford thinks it's an embarrassment, they just won't let the press do a full road test and let the bench racers inflate the GTDs performance with every retelling...

This is at best a $200,000 car, and only if the buyer is a Ford fanatic with the blinders on to everything else. 

You have no idea what you’re talking about.  And I’ll leave it at that.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

I mean, so much has been changed that it's not really an s650 anymore beyond it's appearance. Regarding weight, with the carbon fiber, stripped down interior, lighter wheels and exhaust, I'm willing to be it's around 3,000 lbs give or take. A 3,000 lb 800+ hp car, meaning it could be 801 or 850, with insane active areo and basically the best suspension in the bizz, for 200k less than the Ford gt that "only" had a 660 hp v6. 

The gt 500 was apparently very good at putting it's 760 hp to the ground, and it had, I believe, 325 tires in the rear, this has 345s, that's wider than the gt's tires. It's gonna hook and book, even at lower speeds. The Ford GT was kinda getting shown up in its performance, especially near the end of it's run. That's not going to be a problem here.