Musk on Cybertruck: We Dug our own Grave

mackinaw

We? ?

This started out as merely a concept vehicle with no actual production plans and then Musk told the engineers to actually build it for production.  Or their designers and engineers are totally clueless.

This is a novelty vehicle at best.  Should have pulled the plug years ago.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

This is a novelty vehicle at best.  Should have pulled the plug years ago.....

But, but, but....they have one million orders!

Adam Jonas, auto analyst at Morgan Stanley, figures the Cybertruck is a niche vehicle that may sell 50,000 units/year.  I question even that number.

10 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Adam Jonas, auto analyst at Morgan Stanley, figures the Cybertruck is a niche vehicle that may sell 50,000 units/year.  I question even that number.

It’s the new DeLorean.

Elon has a hard time with failure of an idea.  He tends to think anything can be fixed with enough resources.  Twitter is a good example.  I personally don't think he'll ever make his money back buying Twitter and re-branding it.  He'll keep it afloat, but it'll never really make him money.

Same for his truck.  He'll make enough of them to tell everyone "Hey, see I made the truck!".  But it won't make enough money to return the investment.  And he's too stubborn to admit it.

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

isn't it 2 million??  That's the latest I read whether accurate or not.

All I have to say is... BWAHAHAHA

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

Elon has a hard time with failure of an idea.  He tends to think anything can be fixed with enough resources.  Twitter is a good example.  I personally don't think he'll ever make his money back buying Twitter and re-branding it.  He'll keep it afloat, but it'll never really make him money.

Same for his truck.  He'll make enough of them to tell everyone "Hey, see I made the truck!".  But it won't make enough money to return the investment.  And he's too stubborn to admit it.

You win some and you lose some.  He can afford it.  

The issue with the cybertruck was it was a vehicle reliant on shock and awe over substance. That kind of product works when you get it into production right away. Five years on, all we're left with is a hideous joke of a vehicle that looks like it was assembled in a shed by the three blind mice. 

The specs were impressive 5 years ago, but actually fall short of many of the EV trucks currently in production, or on the horizon. I predict t3 will be everything the cybertruck was foretold to be, a bold and futuristic machine that genuinely changes the industry. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sullynd said:

And a traditional SUV. And a van. And could let Rivian focus on commercial business. 

Exactly what I was thinking. And with the Rivian products taking the traditional truck and SUV segments, Cybertruck could be marketed as a luxury toy sold for over 100k to action actors, sports stars and rap stars, much like the original Hummer and G wagon.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Speaking of preorder issues, apparently a dealership (In PA) had 25 lightnings on order, and no one actually bought them. This is according to someone that works for them...

Wonder how much ADM they added to each one?  Everything will sell at the right price, some dealers just don't understand this right away.

13 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

Wonder how much ADM they added to each one?  Everything will sell at the right price, some dealers just don't understand this right away.

ADMs and/or Ford price increases.  Nothing kills sales volume more than higher prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying68 said:

No ADMs where added...like Akirby either price increases by Ford or economic issues-not sure if PA has any incentives like NJ had (additional tax breaks etc) that might have expired while waiting for them.